5.0 out of 5 stars Response to Californian reader
Whenever claims for nutrition have substance, people often counter with irrational claims of side effects and harm. I rather liked the response from the "reader in California" who slated this book for supposed inaccuracies. It amused me, as Andrew Saul's purported inaccuracies are correct factual statements, and it is the objections that are false.

Firstly,...
Published on September 19, 2006 by RadicalAscorbate

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but........
Got this on the Kindle, and am not happy about several pages that seemed to be photographed and unable to read the last line, or more.

Published on November 3, 2010 by Mykllee

5.0 out of 5 stars Response to Californian reader, September 19, 2006
This review is from: Fire Your Doctor! How to Be Independently Healthy (Paperback)

Firstly, Saul was accurate when stating that there were no reported deaths from vitamin overdose in the US. The counter claim, that 14 children had died in India from vitamin A overdose, was incorrect. Almost certainly, the 14 deaths did not occur from vitamin poisoning. The BMJ article cited by the anonymous reader [BMJ 223:1206, 24 Nov 2001] actually states: "it was unlikely that overdoses had caused the deaths and illness". Blaming vitamin A could be considered hysteria, as the actual death rate in this report was lower than expected [BMJ 2002;324:791, 30 March 2002]. A more reasonable interpretation might be that the vitamin A supplement was saving lives.

As Saul says, azithromycin is no better than low dose vitamin C for treating viral bronchitis. It is well known that antibiotics are generally ineffective against viruses. To treat an infection with vitamin C, pharmacological doses are required. A minimum pharmacological dose of vitamin C is 10 grams. Once again, Dr Saul's book was correct.

On a similar note, the reader with no name's assertion, that doses of 10 grams are appropriate for the treatment of cancer, is also incorrect. Dr Saul suggests that doses of the order of 100 grams are appropriate, and this is accurate for orthomolecular therapy. A typical regime would be 20+ grams of oral vitamin C daily and intravenous infusions of 75 grams (sodium ascorbate) three times per week. The reported side effects are typically minor, but treatment of cancer really does require a qualified physician; Saul repeatedly asserts this.

While some people declare they have all the answers for nutrition, and make inappropriate health claims, Dr Saul works from the facts. His book is a fantastic read and provides excellent guidance on supplements and health.

Dr Steve Hickey

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should have a copy, April 11, 2006
Dr Steve Hickey (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This superb book should be in every home. As a young lad, growing up in Liverpool, a favourite aunt once told me that health was our most important possession. At the time, I thought health was automatic. However, as people I loved became sick and died, I realised that she was right.

The best way people can look after their health is to take ownership of it, rather than relying on their doctors. An amusing 17th Century cartoon hangs on the bathroom wall, in the home of a surgeon friend of mine. A physician is seen congratulating the household cook, as his greatest ally. These are his words:

Yes, my good friend, I see you are hard at it and I never can quit the house of my rich patients without shaking hands with the cook. I owe you much, for you confer great favours on me. Your skill in kickshaws and the ingenious art of poisoning enables us medical men to ride in our carriages. Without your assistance, we should all go on foot and be slaved!!

(The Physician's Friend, published by T. Tegg, 111 Cheapside, London, England, 1805-1824).

As the cartoon implies and doctors often suggest, prevention is more effective than treatment. Despite this, the medical establishment is structured towards curing illnesses, rather than preventing them. Dr Saul is different. His interest in health stems from early childhood, when he considered becoming a surgeon. Unable to stand the sight of blood, he did not relish the thought of a career "bailing out leaky boats," so he became interested in natural health.

Medicine has become a high-tech, high-cost industry. Standard medical advice often leaves people in a state of ill health, so common as to be considered normal. Dr Saul believes this level of chronic sickness is unnecessary. He does not just want us to visit our doctors less often; he is on a crusade to help us all feel great.

In Fire your doctor, he explains, in an easygoing style, how people can avoid ill health. He gives practical advice on major diseases and health conditions. People are increasingly worried about how to afford even basic medical treatment. Dr Saul provides answers; follow his advice and you will visit your doctor less often. For many people, the cost of the book is less than that of a single visit.

Dr Saul's approach is practical. He gives simple recommendations for increasing general health and makes suggestions for various maladies. Pragmatically, the reader is not expected to follow all of the advice given. Health can be improved dramatically by making small changes to a person's diet and lifestyle. The tag line for this book is how to be independently healthy: it will not be lost on readers that they may also remain more wealthy.

Perhaps we have had to wait rather too long for Dr Saul to remind us that what we eat feeds our doctors. One thing I can be sure of: my aunt would have loved Andrew Saul's book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reader's Review of the book Fire Your Doctor, by Andrew W. Saul, Ph.D., January 10, 2006
Reader's Review of the book Fire Your Doctor!, by Andrew W. Saul (Basic

Health Publications, 2005)

"Empowering" was one of the first words that came to my mind while reading

"Fire Your Doctor!" Andrew Saul, a natural-born teacher, has provided us

with an enjoyable, practical and easy-to-read book. At the same time, it

contains a great deal of carefully documented information to inform and

encourage people to help themselves to better health.

Dr. Saul emphasizes that people need "education, not medication." "Fire Your

Doctor!" provides that education with well-researched "do-it-yourself"

chapters full of insight, drawn from the author's nearly 30 years of

personal experience as a natural health consultant.

I highly recommend this book to everyone, including physicians who wish to

provide a comprehensive natural-health care program for their clients.

John I. Mosher, Ph.D.

SUNY Professor Emeritus, Biological Sciences

5.0 out of 5 stars A great contribution to this topic, December 29, 2009
The introduction and conclusion were wonderful, and the general information about basic supplements.

Books such as 'Vita-Nutrient solution' and 'Orthomolecular medicine for everyone' had far more detailed information, and would be better choices for those new to the topic, but this book was still great. I really liked this doctors enthusiasm and explanations of the political problems and erronous belief systems that are holding back orthomolecular medicine from being mainstream, as it needs to be.

I'm not convinced however by the argument we all need to be almost vegetarian. This sort of diet just does not agree with me. It might if I could eat a lot of, or any, eggs, soy or dairy, but if you can't and you have a disease that means you deal with high carb foods very very poorly... I feel this advice is not helpful, or perhaps not detailed enough. None of the problems with eating dairy, wheat and nightshades such as postatoes are even mentioned, it's a strange omission.

But overall, I agree with the authors ideas about medicine and our responsibility for our own health very much. Supplements such as ubiquinol, carnitine and others have made a very significant difference to my quality of life. (I have the severe neurological disease Myalgic Encepahlomyelitis). I've found this book very helpful in writing a 'Quick start guide' to treating M.E. with supplements and vitamins.

Recommended, though not as a sole resource as it skims over how to treat many common diseases and the information given on each disease is very brief. It's just a good introductory text for those very interested in this topic. Having said that however, I did also find several very interesting facts in this book that were not even mentioned in the dozen or so other books I have read on this topic, such as the topical application of vitamin C in a paste to treat rashes and lesions.

Check your local library for a copy, at the very least.

Some parts of the book were so good I felt compelled to go to the (for me) enormous effort to type them up as quotes, to use in my 'Quick start guide.' I hope the author wont mind my reposting them here, they really to deserve to be read as widely as possible as they get right to the heart of the matter as it were, I think.

Quotes:

'In newspapers, magazines and on television, the public has been warned off the very vitamins and other supplements that have been repeatedly proven to reduce illness in practically every instance. The effective use of food supplements and natural diet saves money, pain and lives... and you have been told not to do it. If you want something done right you have to do it yourself. This especially includes your healthcare. One of the most common questions about vitamin therapy is, are huge doses safe? This book will help answer that question once and for all, and while we are at it, here's the answer in advance. Yes. Megadoses of vitamins are very safe. Vitamins do not cause even one death per year. Pharmaceutical drugs, taken as directed, cause over 100 000 deaths annually. Still it is granted that we need access to all the tools that medicine and technology can provide, when used with caution. We must also fully use our natural resources of therapeutic nutrition and vitamins. To limit ourselves to pharmaceutical medicine is like going into the ring to fight the champ with one hand tied behind our backs.'

'Most people's fear of self-care centres on three common fallacies.

1. You are not educated enough to treat yourself, that is what doctors are for

2. Natural therapies are not powerful enough to cure real diseases

3. Megavitamin therapy is dangerous

These are not facts, these are beliefs, and they are all unfounded. Jazz musician Eubie Blake said it best "It is not what we don't know that harms us, but what we do know that ain't so". If your doctor does not believe in using vitamins, not only is that doctor behind the times, that doctor is not being scientific. Therapeutic nutrition is not a matter of belief; it is a matter of confirmed clinical experience. Belief systems can be wrong.'

'Modern drug based medicine is as incomplete as a novel written with three vowels. As discordant as a symphony constructed using only some of the notes. High dose nutritional therapy is the much needed missing part of our vocabulary of healthcare. The fight against disease needs all the help it can get.'

'Modern medicine is not scientific, it is full of prejudice, illogic and susceptible to advertising. Doctors are not taught to reason, they are programmed to believe in whatever their medical schools teach them and the leading doctors tell them. Over the past 20 years the drug companies, with their enormous wealth, have taken medicine over and now control its research, what is taught and the information released to the public.' Abram Hoffer MD

'There are absolutely times when we need professional help, but we can act to greatly reduce the frequency of those times and far beyond what we have been told. Time in front of a computer screen can teach us a lot more than time in front of a movie screen. But hasn't health information on the internet been described as the mother lode of all quackery? Of course it has, but as you learned in kindergarten, calling names does not make it so. There is a practical alternative to blind trust, use your noodle and see for yourself. Be your own doctor; manage your own case, live healthier today.'

'Good nutrition and vitamins do not directly cure disease, the body does. You provide the raw materials and the inborn wisdom of your body makes the repairs. Someday healthcare without megavitamin therapy will be seen as we today see childbirth without sanitation or surgery without anaesthetic.'

'There is virtually no funding for pharmaceutical companies to fund vitamin research. Why is that? Because there is no money for them in a cheap, non-prescription cure which already exists and cannot be patented. For decades, nutritionists and dieticians have preached tat vitamin and mineral supplements are not needed if you just eat a balanced diet. It is a nice story, but it is only a story. Daily supplements are the only way Americans can possible get the 800 IU of vitamin e per day, the amount that prevents most cardiovascular disease. Daily supplements are the only way to get several thousands milligrams of vitamin C per day, the amount that is protective against many forms of cancer. Nutritional deficiency is the rule not the exception in America.'

'When pharmaceuticals are versatile, they are called `broad spectrum' and `wonder drugs.' When vitamins are versatile, they are called `faddish' and `cures in search of a disease.' Such a double standard needs to be exposed and opposed at every turn. People often ask, `if vitamin therapy is so good, why hasn't my doctor told me about it?' I do not know the answer to that question. Quite frankly, over time, I have grown to be less and less fired-up about even wanting to know. Theer are too many sick people that need positive help.'

'Vitamin C is the world's best natural antibiotic, antiviral, antitoxin and antihistamine. This book's recurring emphasis on vitamin C might suggest that I am offering a song with only one verse. Not so. As English literature concentrates on Shakespeare, so orthomolecular (megavitamin) therapy concentrates on vitamin C. Let the greats be given their due. The importance of vitamin C cannot be overemphasised.'

Jodi Bassett, The Hummingbirds' Foundation for M.E. (HFME) and Health, Healing & Hummingbirds (HHH)

5.0 out of 5 stars If Your Fire Your Doctor, You'll Be In Better Hands: Your Own!, June 9, 2010
"Modern drug-based medicine is as incomplete as a novel written with three vowels, as discordant as a symphony constructed with only some of the notes."

When I read Dr. Andrew Saul's first book, Doctor Yourself: Natural Healing That Works, I was desperate to find a cure for a personal medical issue that had left me debilitated, helpless and hopeless. The "best" orthopedic physicians and neurologists from one of the nation's finest hospitals told me to learn to live with agonizing pain.

So, I fired every doctor in my life. As my Dad, a doctor-worshipper who let the medical establishment kill him with chemo and painkillers would have said, "Shoot `em all and save six for pallbearers." But seriously, using Dr. Saul's guidance from the book, I was restored to complete health in four days using nothing but vitamin C in large, divided doses.

Naturally, I wanted to read the sequel.

In Fire Your Doctor: How To Be Independently Healthy, seekers after truth will discover the triumph of simplicity, common sense, and sanity over the horrific statistics regarding mortality, morbidity and toxicity produced by the pharmaphilic (drug-loving) doctors upon whom the nation depends.

You will, unfortunately, also read about the tragedy of people destroyed by doctors, like the 55 year old woman who was restored to normal social function after treatment with safe, inexpensive niacin. Her psychiatrist, who had treated her with many types of medication, who saw her regain her health and vitality with niacin...this same doctor insisted she stop taking the niacin and put her back on three drugs. This pharma-bully ruined a woman's life because he refused to accept the idea that a simple vitamin could do wonders when all his potions and pills had failed. He returned her to darkness and depression, and worse, her family complied with his orders, even though their own eyes told them that niacin had made their mother whole again.

Dig deeper into Fire Your Doctor, and the reader will be rewarded with consultations, advice and counsel from the leading physicians in Orthomolecular Medicine. Some have practiced in this field, successfully curing patients with serious diseases since the 1930's.
Chapter after chapter address the best approaches to self-treatment with specific recommendations for achieving health. Discover for yourself the power of natural healing in so many forms within the pages of this book.

Or, you could be like my Dad, who took five painful years to pass from lung cancer, diabetes, arthritis so crippling it folded his hands shut, and, oh yes, I almost forgot, a staph infection he picked up in the hospital while he was under the care of still another god in a white coat.

People, please! Tell your Doctor "Hit the road, and git outta Dodge!" There is a new sheriff in town named Andrew Saul, and he wants to help you clean up the mess your physicians have made with their twin guns of Ignorance and Big Pharma. Fire Your Doctor puts an end to the relentless pursuit of profit and the perpetuation of the status quo. These are strong words, and I mean every one.

5.0 out of 5 stars We Must Be Responsible For Our Own Health, September 27, 2006
We are a nation over dependent on physicians. We are over prescribed with symptom covering medications that never actually heal the true illness. Medical doctors need to have their pedestals shaken a bit. The best way to accomplish this is to take the matter of OUR OWN health into OUR OWN hands. Yes, this is possible. "Fire Your Doctor" tells us in straightforward language and humorous prose how to become supremely healthy individuals with only very limited need for outside medical intervention.

Part Two of the book is titled "Natural Healing Protocols for All-Too-Common Health Problems". This section gives suggestions and remedies for various ailments that commonly plague us. I have photocopied and given away many chapters. I have also personally tried some of the remedies with great success.

This book is well worth your time. Becoming healthy and maintaining that good health is not as difficult as you may think. Your health is everything. "Fire Your Doctor" has the added advantage of being easy to follow as well as an extremely pleasant read.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but........, November 3, 2010
This review is from: Fire Your Doctor! (Kindle Edition)

As far as the vitamin information, it's all good, which is what I bought it for. All the anti meat anti fat ranting really put me off. The author advocates doing one's own research, which should go for his book as well. I was surprised he was using the old argument about our teeth and the length of our digestive systems as proof we shouldn't eat meat. He also states we don't need fat. I suggest that the author or anyone else who really cares to research their health to read Gary Taubes. Google his N.Y.Times article interview for the short story, or get "Good Calories, Bad Calories".

I grew up believing all the fat and red meat is bad for you. I rarely ate meat, and mostly chicken when I did, and have been juicing and blending my greens almost daily for the last 20 years. Today at age 56 I have arthritis in both knees, my spine, and have had an ankle replacement for end stage arthritis. Don't get me wrong, juicing and the greens are fine, but so is red meat and fat. Grass fed beef is available everywhere, and these ranchers treat their animals humanely. Look up the Weston-Price Foundation, as there is a lot of good research on whole foods....and why we DO need fat. There are a lot of former vegetarians like me out there, with major health problems that only turned around when they put meat and whole foods back into their diets.

Again, good book, good info, but like the author says, do your research before cutting meat and fat out like he advocates. To bad about the vegetarian agenda.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine read to become independently healthy, December 13, 2005
Fire Your Doctor is an inspiring and empowering read about the value of un- or little processed foods and about the value of micro-nutrients. It gives perspective as to what's going on in much of mainline medicine where symptoms rather than causes are treated.

'Doctors will get of their pedestals when patients get of their knees' someone once said. This book should help by triggering interest in and knowledge about one's health. Saul makes a strong case that multivitamin / mineral supplements are the 'zero calorie essential food group' and where much of disease prevention is cheaply found. My favorite passage: 'Some day, health care without megavitamin therapy will be seen as we today see childbirth without sanitation or surgery without anesthetic.'

Unlike this review, the writing style is smooth as Saul tells an entertaining story about prevention.

No book is perfect and I tripped over his leaning toward a more vegetarian approach (but no doubt healthy in the context presented), only walnuts are nuts with omega-3 and he misses the main plant-based omega-3 oil that has been shown to reduce heart attacks and save lives, canola [rapeseed] oil that is.

Also, there is not a word about homo-cysteine, that toxic amino acid we all make and that is now linked to over 100 diseases and conditions, including heart disease and Alzheimer's. The beauty of the book however is that the foods and especially the multi-vitamin levels he recommends will automatically drop this blood toxin to the lowest possible level in anyone! Who could ask for more?

Again, this is an easy reading, gentle and probably attitude changing book and I imagine that most readers will find several tips that will help improve their health and pay for the book many times over. Eddie Vos health-heart.org Sutton (Qc) Canada

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite health care books, January 26, 2011
I just bought this book and almost done with it, and I absolutely love the advice Dr. Saul has to give us. I like it when he quotes all other authorities from both sides: M.D. that prescribe pharmaceutical medicine and N.D. quotes. His insight on such rich information is astonishing, and really opens your eyes to what's happening in the health care industry. Everyone of us needs to take charge of your own health care and we need to educate our kids from a young age to do the same with their health care. Our next generation needs to know how to be healthy at an early age, and teach them to trust their body's natural ways of healing.
I have also read the book "The Gerson Therapy" with Charlotte Gerson (daughter of Max Gerson) and it was a great book to get a different perspective to the health care approach. Although I believe in the majority of their nutrition-based-healing, I still think that therapy is for only suited for the extremely cancer ill or terminal ill-related conditions. Before my wife and I started eating well-nutritional diets plus high doses of Vitamin C and all the others, she was diagnosed with a gall bladder inflammatory conditioned that haunted her every day. She will come home from work with excruciating pain; it broke my heart every time I saw her curled up in a fetus position in bed. The Gastroenterologist did three different CT scan, X-ray and surgical test in an attempt to find out what was going on with her gall bladder, but failed to pin point the cause. I kept asking him what was the problem and he couldn't tell me why. I was mad at the last visit and I told my wife; there has to be an alternative to cure you. We changed our way of eating and gave her a fruit smoothie loaded with key organic superfruits and 5 grams of vitamin C on an empty stomach. In the afternoon, she ate organic legumes and fish. Shortly after that all her abdominal pain vanished without a trace. Until this day, I still get up in the morning at 5:45am before she heads out to work to make her delicious smoothie and she's fool of energy because of it. She feels like a million bucks and she tells me every week how many people call out to work because they're sick with the flu. It's a true fact that nutrition works!

5.0 out of 5 stars May I do This?, April 22, 2007
Book & Music Lover (Louisville, Kentucky USA) - See all my reviews
May I indeed fire my Doctor? Yes! With great benefit to yourself. Pills, pills, pills, the crutch of society today. You have a headache, take a pill. You have allergies, here are some pills. No wonder we as Americans have trouble with drugs, illegal, and other wise. With every durg we are given there are side effects. Negative side effects. A recent side effect of a very popular pain killer for people suffering the ravages of arthritis, was stroke, and heart attack. Regardless the producers knew, as did the FDA, and the medication was marketed. Even though data indicated this medication was no better than what was already available. Why? We never look for alternatives. Such as changing our lifestyles, eating a well balanced diet, or getting the proper amount of exercise, or even drinking the proper amounts of water. Many of us neglect to rest as we should, or expose ourselves to moderate amounts of sunshine.

Well this and other self help changes are what we find here in this book. How we as individuals can help ourselves stay out of the Doctor's office, and the hopsital. We should all be very open to anything that will keep us in top health, and a good place to start is with the afore mentioned changes, an an alteration in our diets. Watch what we eat, leave the factory food by the way side, and eat more fresh, locally grown foods. The shorter the time between consumption, and harvest the healthier the food. Good health is very simple the author expersses, we must be willing to make some hard changes, and get some all natural plant based vitamins, and minerals, to help us to maintain our health.

Read, you will find it here, and it is a good thing, because Doctors are the third leading cause of death in America. So if you can limit your visits to the Doctor's office you have already benefitted yourself, and your family greatly. It is all here just read, this and more and be proactive with your health.

Fire Your Doctor! How to Be Independently Healthy
Fire Your Doctor! How to Be Independently Healthy by Andrew W. Saul (Paperback - November 5, 2005)
$19.95 $17.96
Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available.