Published on May 2, 2012 by JJCEO

3.0 out of 5 stars Made it 2 years
Today mine failed in a very odd way. The power load was not changed, rather I switched an SSD data connection to another SATA port. And then my OCZ was dead, just like that.

Published on June 14, 2012 by L. Olson

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding product with all the features you need for most computers at a good price!, May 2, 2012
This review is from: FirePower ModXStream Pro 600W 80Plus Semi-Modular High Performance ATX PC Power Supply 600MXSP, formerly PC Power & Cooling (Personal Computers)
I build a lot of computers and I repair a lot of computers for friends and family. I usually have several of these powers supplies sitting in my inventory of computer parts to help out friends. This is a very good computer power supply and I have used more than 10 of these primarily as replacements for computer systems that no longer will operate. This power supply is ideal to fix a broken computer or to upgrade the power supply so a more powerful GPU card can be used in a factory built computer.

Most factory built computers come with very poor quality power supplies rated at 250 to 350 watts. If you add any hardware or improve the GPU card it will not have enough power to operate the system properly. In addition these weak factory power supplies tend to fail in the 2 to 3 year range. This 600 watt power supply is an ideal size to use to replace the old one.

I like the fact that it is an 80 Plus Certified Power supply that has a high power efficiency of up to 86% with any load between 20% to 100%. This saves you energy and the unit runs cooler as power is not wasted. It is also a modular design which means you need only use the cables you need and by lowering the number of cables you reduce the clutter, improve cooling and make the assembly look more professional. It comes with a nice carrying bag for the modular cables so you can save them for future expansion.

The unit comes with a 135 mm silent cooling fan and a lot of connection cables for internal accessories that you will need for a full blown computer build. The motherboard connector is designed for 20 or 24 pin power connectors so it works with every motherboard I can think of. It is SLI certified and CrossFire ready for use with multiple GPU cards. It also has:

* 6 SATA power outlets for drives
* CPU power plugs with 4 pin or 8 pin as required by your motherboard
* 4 peripheral power plugs
* 2 floppy power plugs
* Dual 12 VDC rails rated at 25 Amps each
* PCI Express Connector 1X 6-pin and 1X 6 +2-pin

This unit also features over voltage protection and has a long life with 100,000 hours MTBF. It is backed with a 3 year warranty on parts and labor.

I have used enough of these to know that they are a good quality device and I have yet to have one fail. I recommend this power supply as a good buy for your next computer build or repair.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent power supply!, July 28, 2010
I'm surprised there aren't more reviews on this power supply, it's great.

I bought this to support my recently bought ATI HD 5770 graphics card. There were a lot of power supplies on amazon, and I wanted to get a quality one at a good price. I was skeptical of buying this at first because it only had 6 reviews, but I'm glad I did. The wires are covered in a nice mesh so it is a bit more organized and looks better in your case. It is a modular power supply which means that the cables coming out of it are the necessary ones, and any extra cables come on the side and you can connect them only if you need them. This means less wires and more room in your system. I don't know why this isn't in the item description, but it is 80+ certified which means it is energy efficient. It is also very sturdy. I am not an expert in power supplies, but this really feels like a quality item.

If you need a 500W power supply, get this one. It also comes with a 3 year warranty.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for!, February 16, 2012
This is a very nice PSU and kind of heavy. The braiding on the cables is A-1 in my book but they are a bit stiff. I bought this to power my M5A99XEVO with the 550TI and it does just that with no problems.
I've docked it a star for the 8 pin to the motherboard for being just a tad to short, I have to run it in the front until I get a braided extension from here. I have the XION Predator Mid Tower Gaming Case and it has excellent wire management with lots of slots & holes for you to hide and sneak cables around. With that said that is the only con for me.
This is an excellent power supply and you can't do much better then OCZ! I would recommend and definitely buy another on my next build.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price, September 14, 2009
I got this power supply (PSU) for 2 reasons:
1) Brand - OCZ has a good customer service reputation, so if this PSU failed within the warranty perdio, I know I would be covered
2) Good price for a 600W PSU

I got it for a mid-range system with an AMD Phenom II X-3 720BE CPU, a MSI 790GX-G65 board, an ATI HD4850 and 3 hard drives. There were enough connectors for everything and I still had 1 connection on the power supply I didn't end up using. System has been stable for a couple of months now. The one thing about this PSU, even if it's SLI capable or Crossfire capable, 600W will not be high end cards. It can do low-end 7000 series nVidia cards or HD4850 X2 or lower, but anything more would be pushing your luck.

Pros
- 3-year warranty
- Nice packaging, came with a small zip to put away extra cables
- 80 Silver certified (+82% efficiency)
- Very quiet fan
- Sleeved cables

Cons
- Nothing, especially given the price point

- Not 100% modular, but this is more of an aesthetic con and doesn't affect the quality or function of the PSU in any way(these 3 connectors are hard wired: 24-pin ATX, 4-pin and 8-pin mainboard connectors)**

**While modularity is useful, except that because the core connectors are always used, there's no sense in making them modular from a practicality standpoint and making those connectors modular only serves one purpose: aesthetics, which if you are willing to pay for, there are top notch products that have this

UPDATE 2012/9/27
I should had put a 5-star on this from the get go based on my review.
I've long since replaced this PSU with something that has more wattage. It currently sits in a box as a backup emergency PSU, but it was working fine the day I retired it from service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Power Supply!, December 25, 2009
This is way better than my old 250 watt power supply, this is way more watts than I'll use, but its better than having too little. I bought this one because I wanted something reliable and the price was reasonable. This psu was simple to install and it came with all the cables to hook with my motherboard. I haven't had any problems with it and it does come with a three year warranty. Great product and its easy to install, so go buy it.

My computer specs:

Core 2 Duo 2.8 ghz
Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L
2 gb ram
700 watt Ocz Power Supply
Geforce 9800gt

3.0 out of 5 stars Made it 2 years, June 14, 2012

What can you say about a PSU, either it works or it doesn't, so I don't know how to rate this honestly. I bought it exactly 2 years ago, and (thanks be) it has a 3 year warranty. I'm applying for an RMA, I presume I'll get it and they'll send a replacement. But I will knock a couple of stars off this, as 2 years is too short a time for units that are presented as a quality line, and which was not heavily loaded or operated under poor conditions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Replaced the PSU in my new HP P7-1287c, May 21, 2012
Just picked up a new HP P7-1287c from the warehouse store when it was $100 off, and set out to upgrade the video card (to an NVIDIA GT 430 2G), and add USB 3.0 and external eSATA mini-PCIe cards. I ordered the 600W unit and it is a far leap from the standard PSU, and has all the connections I will ever need.

One thing to note is that this unit is about 1/2 inch longer than the stock unit. This made installation a little tight since there is less room between the installed DVD player and the back of the new PSU. Also, because new PSU is a little longer, the clip that holds the old PSU in the case does not engage at all. But, this is not a problem because the 4 screws that mount the PSU to the back of the case are adequate and hold the PSU securely in place. Just something to note for others planning to do the same. I reused the screws from the original PSU, even though this PSU comes with mounting screws also. More for the parts bin.

The PSU also comes with one modular 4-pin molex cable that I used for the USB 3.0 mini-PCIe card that I purchased. So there was no need for me to buy an adapter. Good thing. I ended up only using 2 of the modular cables that came with the PSU. One for the DVD and existing HD, the other for the new USB 3.0 card. The new video card required no extra power. There are plenty of cables left for future expansion.

There are two CPU cables coming out of the PSU, I used the 4 pin one as needed by my motherboard, the other is wrapped away securely (the CPU power supplies are not modular). The length is more than adequate to reach the motherboard in the HP P7-1287c.

I was very impressed with the build quality, supplied cables, and the performance of this unit so far. It is quiet, though because of its fan, does cause the PC to be a little louder. Maybe the fan on my new video card also adds to the noise. Speaking of the fan on the PSU, it is so strong that I can feel cool air coming from the vents at the side of the case. Definitely will keep your components much cooler because of it.

Overall, this is a great investment at a very reasonable price. It will be better when I get the rebate :) I would definitely buy again even without the rebate. And, 600W is twice what came with the PC and is more than I will need at this time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great deal, August 25, 2011
I have been using this power supply for over two years now with no problems at all. Setuup was very easy and it performs perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my needs., August 12, 2011
Get Back Jojo "manard" (columbus, ohio United States) - See all my reviews
Combination of price and great product review benchmarks caused me to choose this unit. It came nicely packed with a good variety of cables. It installed with out any issues and as of right now is running my new i5-2500k system with 0 issues.

Maximum system setup load used to date:
1 Z68 Mainboard
1 SATA DVD multi drive
1 external HDD
1 ATI 5850
1 5400rpm SATA drive on an X-doc

Update 1/10/2012: For Christmas my wife got me an XFX HD6970 2GB to replace my 5850 with. It was absolutely nothing to pull out the extra 8-pin plug it takes and connect it to the correct port on the PSU. It is supporting the extra draw with no problem running Skrym with every setting jacked all the way up. I'm really glad I chose this unit as so far it is supporting the expansions I had intended at the outset.

5.0 out of 5 stars 500 watt OCZ OCZ500MXSP ModXStream Power Suppy, February 2, 2011
To start I am not a person who is computer tech savey. My son had me get this power supply and told me to just match the connecters with the old power supply. I had him on the phone and only had one question concerning the connecters for the mother board, which was that the connecter with the power supply was shorter by 4 pins than the old one. He told me to match the white arrow on the long connecter with the white arrow on the small connecter and plug them into the connecter side by side with the arrows pointing at each other on the mother board. which I did, plugged the remaining connecters to all my peripherals, hard drive and used the old jumper plug from the old power supply to connect the cooling fans. mounted the cooling unit. plugged in the power supply, turned on the computer. So far the computer is working fine. My problem was that the computer was turning off after 5 to 30 minutes. It's been on now for over 3 hours and everything is running smooth.
Installation was very easy (around 35 minutes). The new power supply is twice as quiet as the old one if not more.
So far am very pleased with it.