Published on November 19, 2009 by Suzie Mcleod

3.0 out of 5 stars Works fine with Time Machine, but noisy
I bought this to be primarily a backup drive for Time Machine on my iMac. It works great, seems to sync up fine and read and write speeds are fast.

My only complaint is that the fan on this has an audible and rather loud whine. It would be fine in a server room, but since I work at my desk all day, it gets rather annoying. I'm going to buy a USB extension cord...
Published 23 months ago by Bryan Clapper

5.0 out of 5 stars Working perfectly, super quiet operation, top-notch customer service, November 19, 2009
Suzie Mcleod (Rancho San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
I'll try not to just repeat what all the other reviewers have said. I do recall reading several reviews prior to purchasing which mentioned noisy operation, so I wanted to add my two cents' worth in that regard. I've had mine for about 2 weeks now, running constantly. I'm using Mac 10.5.8 (Leopard). It connected immediately, went through very quick and easy steps to format correctly for Mac/Time Machine and it was up and running in less than 2 minutes. My drive sits on a granite surface and it is absolutely silent.

After installation and during the online warranty registration, I called ioSafe to ask a question about upping the disaster recovery and warranty to five years, and I've never had a company rep who was more easily accessible or more courteous. He thanked me several times for purchasing the drive, asked what operating system I was using, just general chit-chat for a couple minutes regarding the drive. I mentioned that the WSJ video was impressive, and he said the guy who did that was sitting right next to him. That started another line of conversation for a couple minutes. It was quite a refreshing change of pace to be able to speak with a live person by inputting just an extension number which was given in information that came with the drive than the norm these days of press this to do this, then that do do that, and so on, ad nauseum.

One additional thing I'd point out is that the drive is not nearly as big as I thought it was going to be, although it does weigh quite a bit so the weight listed is probably in the neighborhood. The Amazon.com product dimensions are incorrect. Their dimensions led me to believe it would be almost the size of a PC CPU, so I was pleasantly surprised. I've found that at least half the time I can't trust the dimensions and/or weight of products that Amazon gives.

This is a great hard drive, and I would highly recommend it. I don't have any negative comments whatsoever to impart thus far. The test will be in how it holds up over time, but I believe it to be a very well-made drive that I can feel comfortable in putting my family's photographs and videos on for archival storage. Of course, common sense dictates redundancy in archiving important data, but this drive is working wonderfully with Time Machine.

UPDATE 04/04/2011 - Still extremely satisfied with this purchase. I upgraded my Mac to a new 27" version on 01/01/2011 and this HD restored everything beautifully and perfectly from Time Machine. I subsequently had problems with my new Mac and had to have the HD replaced; thereafter, the IOSafe restored my backup perfectly a second and third time. I continue to highly recommend this drive without reservation. IN MY CASE, IT MAKES NO NOISE WHATSOEVER. This must vary, though, as there are other reviewers who mention a noise.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Digital Safe, October 14, 2009
I bought the 1 TB IoSafe because I wanted a good detachable hard drive that would last. I think it is worth the cost for what you get. The fact that they advertise it to be able to withstand fires, floods and theft seemed like a bit much to me at first, but now it feels more like my personal safe rather than just another computer component: I have downloaded and scanned all of my music and photos; albums, cassettes & CD's along with my important legal documents, tax statements, bank records etc. I placed these items into various partitions that I created. I like it so much I am thinking about purchasing another IoSafe for my DVD collection! My only real complaint would be that it is kind of noisy when it is working. Also, the blue lights in front are pleasing but, the on/off switch is in the back and would be a pain in the neck to turn off and on if you placed it on the floor; which is exactly where something this heavy normally usually goes: However, I placed mine on a glass shelf that's a part of my computer table. I then put a small carpet/rug remnant underneath so it doesn't scratch the glass and it also helps with the noise. The only compromise I am making is that I cannot bolt the safe to the floor. There is a nice hole in the rear frame to insert a bolt through if you want to do this but then you have to think about reaching down and turning it off and on all the time. Leaving it on all the time doesn't seem to great of an idea as the blue lights are bright and when it is saving things it does make some noise. In any case I didn't need to bolt it down so my solution works really great for me. The IoSafe makes you feel really secure. I am sure there are ways to add additional passwords/encryption codes etc. to further secure your data and valuables within the safe, but nothing I have is really all that valuable to anyone else but me, the peace of mine I get and the obvious thought that was put into this build makes this product quality in my book. It truly is My Digital Safe.

I thought it would be helpful to add that I never ended up getting a second IoSafe. I'm still really happy with my IoSafe but I found 1 TB to be inadequate to hold all my DVD's: I have too many of them. I'm going with a 4 TB NAS with a RAID option. The IoSafe comes in a 2 TB model, but I need even more space. I read online recently that many people who have not yet purchased an external hard drive have cited the deciding factor as their lack of speed and that in the past, many externals have been, clunky, expensive, loud and slow: The Iosafe revels in all of these qualities; it's heavy, clunky, a real pain to carry around which is why even if you don't bolt it down it's really unlikely to ever get stolen. It's been slow for me when I transfer massive amounts of video, but no slower than would be expected from USB; eSATA would have been a better option. I find it a little noisy but not unreasonable: I positioned it convenient enough to turn off & on, but not near earshot. All things said, as I look back now, I stand by my start rating. I really like this clunky, sort of loud, kinda expensive and a little slow, bombproof 1 TB external solution to backing up your computer to place that is probably safer than anyone really needs!

4.0 out of 5 stars As great as everyone says -- but noisy, December 13, 2009
I don't think anyone has mentioned has extraordinarily noisy this thing is. I can't keep it running all the time, it's so loud. I just turn it on to do back-ups.

5.0 out of 5 stars Protect data for a reasonable price, January 21, 2010
Pros:
* Reasonably priced considering what you are getting (fireproof, waterproof, theft protection)
* Includes a way to bolt the drive down for theft protection
* Gives peace of mind - protecting my code (I'm a programmer) and other valuable data
* I emailed the company with a question about encryption and got a fast response that answered the question

Cons:
* Only USB 2.0 interface - could be faster with USB 3.0 or eSATA (future update?)

Other:
* Unit weighs about 15 pounds
* Requires external power supply
* Must register within 7 days with ioSafe
* My 2TB unit uses a Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 hard drive
* Can buy DRS (data recover service) extensions/upgrades to 5 years
* Check the videos (YouTube) on the Internet to see what this thing can take
* I use mine with my Windows Home Server and backup the shares and backups to it
* Encrypting data on the drive may make data recovery more difficult in case of disaster

5.0 out of 5 stars Purchased for back up, June 1, 2009
Purchased this external drive based on reviews and its ability to withstand extreme temperatures and flood. It was a great price for the size of storage. I received the hard drive much sooner than I was told I would. No problems just plug it in and save!!! It is well worth it!!!! I would buy another but I don't think I can reach its capacity.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Use, May 10, 2010
This review is from: IoSafe Solo 2 TB Fireproof and Waterproof External Hard Drive + 1 Year Data Recovery Service SL2000GBUSB20 (Silver) (Personal Computers)
I have a few 1 TB drives that I keep in a lockbox and needed something to use in the house between monthly backups that had a chance of being secure in case something disastrous occurred.

This has been a very simple hard drive to use and perfect for running constant backups. I alternate between using the drive plugged into a Win7 and Vista computer and the hard drive doesn't have issues with being switched between operating systems. It also syncs with ZumoDrive so I can add files to the cloud on one computer and they get synced to this drive on another one.

The hard drive is big and heavy. It definitely stands out on your desk. If you prefer a pristine workspace, you'll want to find a way to hide it.

The drive has a firewire connection, but it seems to be a bit slower than my WD 1TB drives; and much slower than the 128 SSD drive I use on a daily basis. I wouldn't put a heavy graphics game on the drive and run the game off of the drive; but for backups, music, and word docs - it's fast enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars IoSafe Delivers On It's Promises, July 15, 2010
After much heartache, loss of time and money from crashed portable hard drives, (friends have had similar experiences), I found the IoSafe....it offers powerful protection against lost data and offers to pay for recovering lost data as well, which tells me they are very confident in their product.

I received my IoSafe portable hard drive within a few days of ordering. Their technical support was very professional and helpful. And when I had a question on an issue, they did some research and got back to me within 24 hours! That's service... going above and beyond the call of duty.

They walked me through the process of setting up my IoSafe, dedicating part of it to Mac files and a small portion to Windows files... then they encouraged me to call them back with any further questions.

IoSafe delivers the product and the support that is so often missing these days, once you actually purchase the product. I could talk with a live technician who was very helpful, who was available, who was professional and who was excited about the product.

As you do the research, you will find that a one tera-byte IoSafe is not that expensive, compared to the portable hard drives that can crash. I had a portable hard drive fall six to eight inches and it is no longer working...Plus I have to pay $1,200 to have the information retrieved. And I paid $130 for it to begin with. So the IoSafe is a bargain in many ways. I'm a "research addict," and the more I studied it, the better it looked...now that I'm using it, I'm even more convinced that it is the best buy for storing word documents, photographs, slide presentations etc.. (video takes up a lot of space quickly, but that will happen on any portable hard drive).

5.0 out of 5 stars Not much to pay for peace of mind!, June 2, 2009
I've owned one of these for about 6 months. I have it connected to my iMac and it works perfectly with Time Machine. I rest easy knowing all my photos, music and important document files are safe, even if there were to be a fire in my home. This product is top notch!

4.0 out of 5 stars Peace of Mind, December 27, 2009
I purchased this as a backup device for my new MacBook and am very happy with it. Installation was quick and easy. It seems sturdy and reliable (no problems so far) although amazingly heavy. It is not silent (there is a fan) but reasonably quiet.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far...so good, March 26, 2010
W. Smith (Dubuque, IA, US) - See all my reviews
After purchasing more than 45 external drive units for our business over the last 3 years and experiencing around a 30% enclosure failure rate (not drive failures) -- we thought we'd give ioSafe a try. We have literally purchased all of the most notable brands in the past including g-tech -- which were the best of the bunch until about a year ago when we started experiencing high enclosure failure rates with those as well. The environment in which these drives live is very friendly -- all drives are cooled by EXTERNAL fans as well making heat a non-issue.

We purchased two ioSafe's -- quite frankly not for the fire or water protection (thought it's nice) but more for the integrity of the enclosure. We figured if it's physically robust, perhaps it is also robust in terms of its enclosure design and reliability.

As the title indicates, so far, so good. It's a bit large, but understandable given its purpose. That would be my only criticism at this point.

Will likely purchase again should they prove reliable after 12 months.

Cheers.