Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Board book|Change

on July 25, 2015
"First 100 Words" by Roger Priddy was bought as a gift for my sons’s first birthday and it is the perfect book for a one year old. It is quite a basic book and the sort of board book most children will have at some stage in their life. It definitely deserves mention, as my son chooses it from his library nearly every day.

Previous reviews have indicated some confusion over the book size. This version of the book is pretty small (it's 5 x 6 inches; an over-sized ABC/colors version can be found here), and it can withstand rough little hands as it is a board book.

Each brightly colored page shows various photographs alongside the corresponding word. I like that it uses photographs instead of illustrations (animals wearing clothes, etc.). The pages are split into themes of things your LO will probably recognize from everyday life, such as clothes, food, things that go and so on.

My son has had this book for a couple of months now and it’s been a huge hit with him. He will sit on the floor and look through it himself. Together, we look at the pages and I point to each picture and say the word. I’ve started him with some Tiny Tutor videos to supplement our lessons while I do chores around the house. We do this most days and the repetition seems to be paying off, as he seems to recognize a new thing in the book every day.

Although rather basic on the face of it, I am really delighted with this book and wish we’d had it sooner. It is selling for under $5 on Amazon which I think is a real bargain. I’ve noticed there are some similar titles, such as First 100 Animals and First 100 Numbers Colors Shapes. I will be looking to purchase these in the future too. It seems the simple things really are the best sometimes.

Highly recommended!
33 comments|232 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 15, 2014
This book is perfect for the diaper bag! It's small, and my 13-month old can enjoy it whether or not anyone is available to read it to her. It has kept her entertained through many restaurant mealtimes and car rides. You'll be amazed how many words your child knows when you ask her to point to specific pictures throughout the book!
review image
11 comment|282 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 2, 2015
Bought this book for my 1 year old as she began to show an interest in looking at books herself. It is her favorite! Not only is the outside cover soft, but the pages inside are study boards. The book itself is small, perfect size for a toddler with small hands. She can carry it around and turn each page on her own. Every two pages has a theme, such as "Outside" or "Bath" or "Toys", every word has its own colorful square and photo. This is a great tool for a young toddler who is beginning to learn how to say the names of everyday objects or activities. My daughter and I will sit down and I will point to each object and say the word, she will try and repeat the sound. Sometimes I will say "show me where the cat is" or "can you point to the airplane" and she loves finding the objects on the page! I loved this book so much we bought the "first 100 animals" also. Worth every penny and more!
review image
0Comment|103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 17, 2014
Some of the reviews for this product seem to be discussing an earlier edition.
I saw mentioned that it is 'oversized' and someone mentioned the dimensions as being 11"x11"
In actual fact it's small, like a pocket book (6" x 5" and a bit under an inch thick) - I was surprised by how small.
The images are bold, but the photos are occasionally a bit cheap stock photo style.
The cover has a squashy padding inside (which is the reason for the material warning, since the foam contains a fire retardant)
Overall it's ok.
review image
66 comments|215 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 9, 2015
nice quality book very durable its small but not bad
review image review image
on November 15, 2015
A child comes into world holding her mother's hand.
Gradually in course of time she enters into world of words.
We selected Roger Priddy's first 100 words as the first step for our 2 year old pumpkin pie towards vast ocean of words.
This was our first purchase of Roger Priddy book.
Firstly it's a board book..safe in little hands.
Not so big not too little .. Just right size for little hands.
The book is divided in different sections which consists of relevant words with beautiful real life images.

Eg. Pets section consists of words like dog, puppy, cat, kitten,turtle, fish, rabbit, Guinea pig. The images are not hand drawn they are real images of real lets and that's most liked by us. She easily identifies these pets pictures with real pets and easily learnt the words also.

The sections of words are :
Colors, Things that go, Bathtime , Bedtime , Toys, Myself and so on.
Each section is correlated to a child's day to day life.
First section starts with colors. What a beautiful way it is to start a child's journey into words. I think colors are the best way to start teaching a child.
The sections are named in a very easy way like things that go instead of vehicles .
Each page consists of 9-10 words with the images.

After so much use the book has lost a bit of its binding tightness but still it's doing great .
We love to play quiz game with our daughter with this book and she likes this game a lot and off course the book also.

It's really big ideas for little people.
on June 29, 2006
This is a GREAT learning tool for your toddler and is really fun to look at together.

I first came across these books after reading reviews on Amazon. I really wanted to get my son "My Big Word Book" but after reading that it was spiral-bound and that many reviewers had to tape it up several times, I decided against it. I think it is really just a compilation of all of the smaller books anyways.

I went to Wal-Mart and purchased "My Little Word Book", which is a smaller version and is a board book. It features 300 pictures that are labeled. I really like it, but it has many flaws. Those flaws were corrected in this new Bright Baby book.

Just tonight I went to Target to look for some puzzles and ended up in the book section. As with most toddlers, my son was reaching and grabbing for the shelves. He recognized this book because some of the pictures are the same on the front cover as ours we already had. I picked it up and flipped through it and he wouldn't let me put it back!

I'm a little disappointed that this book only has 100 words, but that's probably a good thing. I really think that for a child under two, trying to show them 300 words is impossible with their attention spans. This book covers the basics of what they need to know, and once they learn these words, they will be ready for bigger books.

This book is very colorful and has clear, simple images that are labeled to help build your child's vocabulary. The pictures are really eye-catching and are each on a colored background. The print underneath the pictures is big and bold.

Now that we have this one, I think I'm going to get rid of the other one or just use it for the parts that the Bright Baby book doesn't include. This book is so much better if you're trying to use it for learning. For example, in "My Little Word Book" there is a picture of a baby in a highchair eating from the tray up and it is labeled "highchair". I always wondered why they didn't leave the baby out of it (it could be confusing) and take the full shot of the highchair. Well, in their new series, Bright Baby, and in this particular book, they did! There are many other pictures that were "corrected" in this one.

The bottom line is--this is the best picture book I have seen for learning new words. Clear images and straight to the point. Highly recommend this one!
on June 28, 2015
Great addition to Lincoln's Library!
on November 4, 2015
Bought this book for a 1 year olds birthday after reading fair reviews. After receiving it I have to say I'm disappointed. It's seams are not glued together and could be torn apart very easily by and infant or toddler, and plastic pieces holding it together could be a serious choking hazard! Def. wouldn't purchase again.
on June 6, 2012
This book is adorable. It is a small padded board book that is an ideal size for my one yr old. The pictures are bright and vivid. Would definitely buy again as a gift.