Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

Format: Board bookChange

on July 25, 2015
"First 100 Words" by Roger Priddy was bought as a gift for my sons’s first birthday and it is the perfect book for a one year old. It is quite a basic book and the sort of board book most children will have at some stage in their life. It definitely deserves mention, as my son chooses it from his library nearly every day.

Previous reviews have indicated some confusion over the book size. This version of the book is pretty small (it's 5 x 6 inches; an over-sized ABC/colors version can be found here), and it can withstand rough little hands as it is a board book.

Each brightly colored page shows various photographs alongside the corresponding word. I like that it uses photographs instead of illustrations (animals wearing clothes, etc.). The pages are split into themes of things your LO will probably recognize from everyday life, such as clothes, food, things that go and so on.

My son has had this book for a couple of months now and it’s been a huge hit with him. He will sit on the floor and look through it himself. Together, we look at the pages and I point to each picture and say the word. I’ve started him with some Tiny Tutor videos to supplement our lessons while I do chores around the house. We do this most days and the repetition seems to be paying off, as he seems to recognize a new thing in the book every day.

Although rather basic on the face of it, I am really delighted with this book and wish we’d had it sooner. It is selling for under $5 on Amazon which I think is a real bargain. I’ve noticed there are some similar titles, such as First 100 Animals and First 100 Numbers Colors Shapes. I will be looking to purchase these in the future too. It seems the simple things really are the best sometimes.

Highly recommended!
33 comments214 of 217 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 15, 2014
This book is perfect for the diaper bag! It's small, and my 13-month old can enjoy it whether or not anyone is available to read it to her. It has kept her entertained through many restaurant mealtimes and car rides. You'll be amazed how many words your child knows when you ask her to point to specific pictures throughout the book!
review image
11 comment229 of 235 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 31, 2006
i highly recommend this book. my 14-month-old loves this book. baby reaches for it and we read it together nearly every day. doing this is helping baby to learn words like "flower" and "chicken" and "shoes" -- so many useful words. it's also helpful to "cross-reference" a photo in this book with drawing from another book; much easier for us to be clear what an elephant is when we're looking at a photograph, and fun to see that baby recognizes both! the pages are easy to turn, the photos are clear and the categories make sense. we love it!
0Comment102 of 110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 2, 2015
Bought this book for my 1 year old as she began to show an interest in looking at books herself. It is her favorite! Not only is the outside cover soft, but the pages inside are study boards. The book itself is small, perfect size for a toddler with small hands. She can carry it around and turn each page on her own. Every two pages has a theme, such as "Outside" or "Bath" or "Toys", every word has its own colorful square and photo. This is a great tool for a young toddler who is beginning to learn how to say the names of everyday objects or activities. My daughter and I will sit down and I will point to each object and say the word, she will try and repeat the sound. Sometimes I will say "show me where the cat is" or "can you point to the airplane" and she loves finding the objects on the page! I loved this book so much we bought the "first 100 animals" also. Worth every penny and more!
review image
0Comment75 of 81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 20, 2006
Building vocabulary is a first priority for age one-to-two and this book will help. Bright colors, clear photos, easy to read labels (Babies CAN read--see Glenn Doman's work), with concept clusters on each page (things that go, colors, bathtime, bedtime, mealtime, food, myself, hom, outside, clothes, toys, pets, farm animals, wild animals). Slobberproof pages will stand up to almost anything. The size of pages (11x11) will make it easy to stand the book up in crib or on changing table. A great birthday gift for your favorite ONE.
22 comments104 of 116 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 17, 2014
Some of the reviews for this product seem to be discussing an earlier edition.
I saw mentioned that it is 'oversized' and someone mentioned the dimensions as being 11"x11"
In actual fact it's small, like a pocket book (6" x 5" and a bit under an inch thick) - I was surprised by how small.
The images are bold, but the photos are occasionally a bit cheap stock photo style.
The cover has a squashy padding inside (which is the reason for the material warning, since the foam contains a fire retardant)
Overall it's ok.
review image
66 comments198 of 228 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 29, 2006
This is a GREAT learning tool for your toddler and is really fun to look at together.

I first came across these books after reading reviews on Amazon. I really wanted to get my son "My Big Word Book" but after reading that it was spiral-bound and that many reviewers had to tape it up several times, I decided against it. I think it is really just a compilation of all of the smaller books anyways.

I went to Wal-Mart and purchased "My Little Word Book", which is a smaller version and is a board book. It features 300 pictures that are labeled. I really like it, but it has many flaws. Those flaws were corrected in this new Bright Baby book.

Just tonight I went to Target to look for some puzzles and ended up in the book section. As with most toddlers, my son was reaching and grabbing for the shelves. He recognized this book because some of the pictures are the same on the front cover as ours we already had. I picked it up and flipped through it and he wouldn't let me put it back!

I'm a little disappointed that this book only has 100 words, but that's probably a good thing. I really think that for a child under two, trying to show them 300 words is impossible with their attention spans. This book covers the basics of what they need to know, and once they learn these words, they will be ready for bigger books.

This book is very colorful and has clear, simple images that are labeled to help build your child's vocabulary. The pictures are really eye-catching and are each on a colored background. The print underneath the pictures is big and bold.

Now that we have this one, I think I'm going to get rid of the other one or just use it for the parts that the Bright Baby book doesn't include. This book is so much better if you're trying to use it for learning. For example, in "My Little Word Book" there is a picture of a baby in a highchair eating from the tray up and it is labeled "highchair". I always wondered why they didn't leave the baby out of it (it could be confusing) and take the full shot of the highchair. Well, in their new series, Bright Baby, and in this particular book, they did! There are many other pictures that were "corrected" in this one.

The bottom line is--this is the best picture book I have seen for learning new words. Clear images and straight to the point. Highly recommend this one!
0Comment65 of 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon November 11, 2005
This is a oversized board book for babies and toddlers. IT features photos and words of 100 every day objects. The objects are in sections on each pages. Some of the topics are food, outside, toys and things that go!

The book is full of bold and bright eye catching photos. The book is also made of sturdy cardboard pages making in a great choice for toddlers.

Yes This book can be used with babies and toddlers and will really hold their attention and build their vocabulary.
22 comments166 of 197 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 9, 2015
nice quality book very durable its small but not bad
review image review image
on November 4, 2015
Bought this book for a 1 year olds birthday after reading fair reviews. After receiving it I have to say I'm disappointed. It's seams are not glued together and could be torn apart very easily by and infant or toddler, and plastic pieces holding it together could be a serious choking hazard! Def. wouldn't purchase again.
review image
11 comment22 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse