Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Sixx AM Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing Learn more

on March 28, 2008
BUY IT. Trust me. I have a library of over 200 children's books for my son, age 2. I was stunned at what an excellent item this is when we received it! He is only two but he knows his letters, so I thought the ABC board book would be a good fit for him. I had no idea! It was neat that he'd learned his letters already, but now I can ask him, "James, what letter does "airplane" start with?" and get the right answer. He knows DOZENS of these, thanks to this book!
We love a great read and that is how we enjoy one another's company much of the day. This isn't a "Mommy, read it!" book. It's an "I'll let you sit on my lap and I'll hold the book so you can build your brain while I rest book." I love a book that I DON'T have to read just as much as one I do have to read. :) My son sits calmly on my lap, picking through the pages and pointing to realistic pictures of items, while telling me what each one is called. It's excellent for vocabulary building. It helps him build confidence in his ability to "read." And it has shown him that letters(shown on the pages for the words shown that begin with them,) MEAN something.
This is one of those books that I think everyone should have. It will be part of my future baby gifts from here on out. (I like to give books because no one else does and they are the single best building block to education that I can provide to the child, as someone outside the home. Plus, they last forever compared to baby clothes!)
I really encourage you to add this item to your home library. Your child will benefit from it immensely and you will both enjoy "reading" it. ;)
on February 10, 2014
My toddler (23 months) currently loves books with lots of photos of objects and animals for him to learn the words for, so I thought he'd love this book since it has more than one picture for each letter of the alphabet. However, this book almost has too many pictures and is overwhelming for some kids -- the letter B has 14 pictures on a two-page spread! My son usually just looks at the first few pages, points out the objects he recognizes and says the word, then loses interest long before we reach the end. I think this book would be better if there were only 2-3 pictures per letter. (Some less common letters, like Q and Z, do only have 2-3 pictures.)
on December 17, 2010
I love this book because it made learning the alphabet very fun for my daughter, for whom this book was an obsession for several months. If she saw it, she would stop whatever she was doing to look at it. By 13 months, she could tell me the names of all of the letters. The size is perfect - large enough for a baby to easily manipulate but small enough to fit in a baby's lap. The pages are very sturdy, and have held up very well. The pictures are very bright and colorful, making it very interesting for little ones.

I don't give the book 5 stars because I feel that some improvements could be made. First of all, some of the photos are a little grainy. Also, in many instances pictures of toys are used instead of the real thing - for instance, the photo of an ambulance is a toy, and for that matter, it's an old-fashioned ambulance, the likes of which I have never seen in real life. Other pictures are ambiguous - like the "ink" that is in a jar. For a small child who does not understand the concept of ink, if I show her that photo of the jar of ink, she might think that I was referring to the container. Perhaps they could replace the ink with an igloo. Igloo seems a little more straight-forward. Also, the angle from which the plate is photographed...every time my daughter sees it she says, "O". It just looks like two concentric blue circles on the page.

Overall, however, it's a very beautiful book, and despite some minor flaws, it has seen more action than any toy in our toy box.
on May 1, 2015
I like the "My First" books by DK publishing for my daughter (age 1-2yrs). We have several of the tabbed board books. I knew that this book was smaller and not tabbed; however, it is an older edition, which I didn't notice before I ordered. The book is still cute, but some of the styles or pictures are dated-looking. Nothing is inaccurate, just something to know if you're used to the style of the bright, current-decade books.
on April 22, 2015
By the time my son was 18 months old, he knew all the letters in the alphabet in part due to his obsession with this book. We just bought another copy for our new baby. It's extra great because big brother can "read" it to him (really he just points to the picture and says the name of the thing).
on October 19, 2015
This book is awesome! We had to get another because his first 100 words book is starting come apart. He has always loved his books and the photos and letters in this book are more realistic so when we go outside or play around the house he points and tries to say the words. Can't quite say umbrella but he covers his head and says raaaain! lol.
on January 26, 2016
My 15 month old LOVES this book. The whole "my first" series has been a hit, but My First ABC takes the cake! He can already point out about a third of the photos when I ask him, and loves pointing at the photos to hear the words that he doesn't know yet. He gets so excited to show us the aaaypay (airplane) and ball, and brings this book to anyone who will read it with him.
on November 24, 2014
We have had this book for two years now. My son is two years old and still loves this book! He names all the pictures and is starting to identify the letters. I just bought it for a gift for another little boy since my son loves it so much!
on April 14, 2016
My 2-year-old son's favorite book right now is "My First Number Board Book" by this same publisher, so I bought this one for him recently because he is interested in the alphabet, too. He loves it just as much as the number book! It is full of bright pictures, many of which are things that he already recognized so was delighted to be able to name them himself.
on June 22, 2014
This book is currently our hands-down favorite for playing the "Show Me..." game. My daughter loves looking at all the pictures of things that start with a certain letter and pointing to them when I ask "Show me the apple...." "Show me the helicopter...." etc. It's a fun read with your baby that teaches the ABCs and letter recognition. Good buy!