5.0 out of 5 stars Great ukulele for the price!
I bought this ukulele for my daughter to learn on and to take on campouts. It gets a lot of use. It sounds great and it holds up well. I also have an Oscar Schmidt ukulele, but the First Act gets more use. Because it is so inexpensive, we take it with us on the go and pass it to whoever wants to try it without having to worry about damaging it.

The only...
Published on June 12, 2007 by A. Basinger

2.0 out of 5 stars Poorly Built
Published on August 19, 2008 by Christopher B

5.0 out of 5 stars Great ukulele for the price!, June 12, 2007
This review is from: First Act Discovery FG404 Soprano Ukulele (Electronics)

The only down side that I can find, compared with a more expensive ukulele, is that it only has 13 frets and some of the more expensive uku's, like my Oscar Schmidt, have 18 frets and more. Also, the bridge is made of plastic and not wood. But this would only matter if you were a more experienced player.

I would highly recommend this ukulele to someone who is first learning or someone who just wants a good deal.

4.0 out of 5 stars First Act Discovery review, February 7, 2007
This review is from: First Act Discovery FG404 Soprano Ukulele (Electronics)
This is a good cheap ukulele. Its not a toy. First Act is a quality guitar maker in Boston and they also make alot of other beginner (Discovery) instruments for kids. This ukulele might sound better with better strings but for 25 bucks it's okay right out of the box.

I bought this ukulele for my kid with a Ralph Shaw DVD and a KORG chromatic tuner now we are good to go for under $80.

I liked it so much I got another First Act Discovery uke for myself. Now all we have to do is watch the DVD and practice.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't put it down, August 13, 2008
This review is from: First Act Discovery FG404 Soprano Ukulele (Electronics)
I bought this ukulele for myself (not a child) since I wasn't sure how far I would go with the ukulele and didn't want to invest too much in an instrument until I'd stuck with it for a few months. It arrived two days ago, and I just can't get enough. My sore fingers are the only thing keeping me from playing right now, and are making it somewhat hard to type accurately! While this instrument is no museum piece-- there is a bit of glue visible on one of the seams, and the paint isn't perfect-- it's more than worth $25. For me, this is an excellent, crazy-affordable entry into the wonderful world of ukuleles. I would absolutely recommend it.

8/22 update: Another review mentioned having trouble keeping their uke in tune, which was my experience at first, too. But I'm told that's common with any ukulele with new strings, for the first days or even weeks, as the strings need time to stretch out. I'm happy to report that after a week, my uke is holding tune very well, and I love it more than ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice., October 1, 2007
bemost (Waunakee, WI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: First Act Discovery FG404 Soprano Ukulele (Electronics)
I bought this for my 6-yr old daughter in hopes that she will give it a serious shot. That aside, it is just what I expected. It sounds very nice, keeps in tune, and should be the perfect starter instrument for my budding young musician.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners, September 3, 2008
This review is from: First Act Discovery FG404 Soprano Ukulele (Electronics)
Great ukulele for beginners or if you want to see if you'll like playing the ukulele. If you keep playing the ukulele I strongly suggest getting a better ukulele because its kind of flimsy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Item, August 11, 2007
This review is from: First Act Discovery FG404 Soprano Ukulele (Electronics)
This is a good ukulele, although the strings don't look very good upon arrival but they still work great. This product is especially good with free supersaving shipping! Fun product, not a toy (although looks like it a little bit) and sounds great!

2.0 out of 5 stars Poorly Built, August 19, 2008
Christopher B (West Babylon, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: First Act Discovery FG404 Soprano Ukulele (Electronics)
I recently purchased this to actually learn the ukulele, however when I first received it did seem nicer than I thought, however im assuming because of the cheap strings it came out of tune shortly. So I bought new strings from the local music shop. But soon after while trying to tune it, the it broke, I believe its called the bridge (the piece that holds the strings) pulled it right up, I thought I could fix it as suggested on various sites to just use some wood glue, that didnt work. The only reason I'm giving this a 2 is because the overall quality was better than anticipated as long as you keep the same strings and dont mind tuning it frequently.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, August 15, 2008
This review is from: First Act Discovery FG404 Soprano Ukulele (Electronics)
This is really best for kids. If your serious about wanting to learn to play the ukulele you'll have to get new strings before you can even play. They're plastic. Good value for the money.

First Act Discovery FG404 Soprano Ukulele