Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Classics and Essentials in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Deals on HTL

on April 3, 2012
It is incomprehensible that a review book that simply summarizes other books, that changes so very little of its material every year, can have SO many mistakes. Seriously, do a search for First Aid Errata and you'll see the pdf with all the errors. It's put out by the same folks; they offer $10 for writing in with an error. It's 10 pages long, about 20 errors listed per page, just for the 2012 edition. I'm no math whiz, but that's like 2 grand worth of payouts. How about you pay the same for someone to actually READ the book before you publish it? There was a similarly long errata pdf last year for the 2011, so either they're not correcting old errors or they're managing to screw up whole new things. Who is editing these things? I mean, it's pretty much the same exact book every year!

Yes, they've gone to color. And that is appreciated. But giving someone stars for including color diagrams is, well, lame. This is 2012. Color has been around in print for some time now. They've even got it in movies, I hear.

And they even managed to screw up the colors! Green for inhibitory, red for stimulatory. Really? Someone's been taking too much Ethambutol.

First Aid is like the fat, lazy General Motors of the 70's. Consider themselves the Standard of the World, too complacent to fix their problems, much less improve their product (with the exception of this year's big move to color - Now you're on the trolley!). And everyone uses them because that's what the old folks used.

Where are you, Japanese First Aid?

EDIT/UPDATE: Holy cow. The Errata has errata. Seriously. They have updated the long list of mistakes to acknowledge that the previous list of mistakes has mistaken mistakes. There...there are no words...
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 29, 2012
What was formerly a useful board review book has been crippled by the amount of idiotic errors it contains. If you spend hundreds of hours studying for a test, you would like your review book to be a trustworthy source of information. Because of the amount wrong information in first aid, I now second guess everything I don't understand in the book and have to spend time going to secondary sources to verify.

Factual errors are everywhere, whole pictures are mislabeled, formatting problems are common, and none of the editors know how to spell. The supplemental errata they provide is currently 14 pages (and counting) and contains over 250 corrections. Despite their corrections, I've still found errors. Even the errata itself contains errors. They've released subsequent erratas correcting the errors in the previous errata. Either the people compiling the book are idiots or just completely careless because I don't know how else you make some of these errors without trying to. For instance, the 2011 first aid has an error for the drug Clindamycin. It is corrected in the 2011 Errata. The error is still there in the 2012 edition (208 - inhibits translocation not peptidyltransfer). Apparently, the editors don't even check their own errata when producing the new book. Other errors show no understanding of the basic concepts being presented. For example, the picture of the porto-systemic anastomoses (pg 341) has the portal vein running to the IVC (instead of the liver) and all the arrows depicting blood flow are facing the wrong direction. The drawing is right in the 2010 version, so it appears whoever is responsible for the updated drawing had very little understanding of the anatomy they were trying to depict. This and many many more errors make the whole thing feel like its a half finished book produced by a bunch of people more concerned with making money by capitalizing on the fears of medical students than producing a quality product.

I've missed plenty of questions on UWorld as a result of this mess and it's frustrating to think it could ultimately impact my STEP 1 score. It's not a bad resource as a compilation of high yield facts if you already know your stuff, just look elsewhere if you want an authoritative and reliable review book. The people who produced this are either really careless or just dumb and I'm no longer comfortable trusting so much of my future with them.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 1, 2012
I have owned and used both 2010 and 2011 First Aid. This edition adds color headings, puts images with text, and spreads out the formatting. Overall, this is a great change.

However, because they so drastically changed the formatting, and seem to have little editorial oversight, they managed to omit entire subsections. While some sections, such as "Reportable Disease" may be ommitted for being too low yield, others such as the drug Hexamethonium, the Measures to Treat Risk Factors, etc., are missing entirely. Many of these items are listed in the index (perhaps even BOLDED), but lo and behold they are missing on the actual pages. I have finished studying about 20% of the book to a high level, and have found 10+ instances of this.

Not really a problem if you have a 2010/11, or use Doctors in Training/Kaplan as you can just annotate in. But, I think this is just such a sloppy way to make a book (combined with the thin, smeary paper everyone else has mentioned), that I lower it from 5 to 3 stars. Having various errata is fine; entire deletions are not.

Not a deal-breaker, and I would buy it over 2010/11, but just make sure you annotate b/c this book is just straight up missing stuff it says it contains.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 31, 2012
Read all the other reviews that mention how many corrections there are in this book. It's just unbelievable how they can even print this book when it's the same mistakes year after year. First Aid is a disgrace and the fact that they are so complacent and just plain lazy when it comes to something as important as the USMLE should be criminal. What really pisses me off is that they're well aware of how poor their text is, but they just don't care as long as they're still making money. The authors should be ashamed, I don't have any respect for any of them.

I will make sure to tell as many people as possible about how terrible this book is.
on May 29, 2012
First AID is a must for studying for the usmle, but it's RIDICULOUS the number of mistakes that exist in the 2012 version---not just little typos's a pain to have to cross so many things out, esp when youd rather be studying and trusting your study materials!

get the 2011 version.
on October 19, 2012
This book is full of errors and I'm hesitant to trust this book now. Everything that the other reviewers said is correct. The book has great content, but it's annoying that before I can use this book I have to spend hours correcting all their errors. I've been using the Kaplan Medessentials book instead recently because I don't really want to spend hours to go through their errata.

It's absolutely shameful that the gold standard has so many errors. Maybe if everyone contacted them about it, they may do a better job next year instead of lazily sitting on their asses and making more money off us medical students while changing very little. They seriously need an editor to read through everything or fire their current editor because that person is obviously not doing a good job.

Here's the link if you want to contact them to complain about it:
on July 30, 2012
Aside from the endless amount of errors. This book Has all but gone to hell at the hands of selfish, greedy, money hungry degenerates who call them self's authors and publishers.

The quality is terrible. Cheap rice paper like paper.
The information is all but useless due to the infinite amount of errors through out the book.

Get your act together! In 12 months this book will be forever blacklisted. The damage you've done to your reputation will take you years to undo. You can start with refunds jackasses.
on November 8, 2012
This is the most atrocious incompentent lazily edited book I have ever read. I am completely appalled that it was published and that med students are left with nothing else to prep for boards because use of this book is so prevalent. The errors are so glaring and so awful that I am now worried my step 1 score will actually go down for having used this book to study. The errata has it's own errata by the way. The second errata posted in June or July still has plenty of mistakes. There are no words to express how truly disgusted I am. They should be ashamed of themselves.
on May 30, 2012
I will literally be burning this book after I have my Step 1 score in hand. I've never had a book with so many blatant errors. It's like the authors realized how essential this book is to our studying and decided to maximize profit by outsourcing the writing to a blind, Nigerian child. But even a child would have simply incorporated the corrections from last year without creating new ones, so I'm forced to assume the writers are trying to sabotage my score. One of the illustrations actually shows the portal vein dumping directly into the IVC, like the illustrator didn't take the time to at least google basic liver vasculature. The errata list is incredibly long and there's just no good way to fit the corrections inline with the text. This kind of material would never cut it as a textbook, so why are the authors willing to publish it in this state?
on July 13, 2012
Awful! Full of errors! How does a publication that is put out year-after-year for over 20 years and is mostly just copied-and-pasted from edition to edition contain this many errors? And I'm not talking about typos here; I'm talking about lots of factually incorrect information.
Just prior to the exam, there were 14 pages in their list of errata. Now there are 17! That's 3 pages of errors that I was not aware of going into Step 1--though there were many errors in this book that I corrected on my own and were not in the list of errata. That's not all: the list of errata could have used a list of errata!--there were many mistakes within the error corrections themselves! Pathetic!
Now, I'm not ranting because I scored poorly on the exam or anything like that. I scored a 240 and am very happy with that, but I think others should be warned, to avoid frustration, extra stress, confusion and learning false information. And my board score I credit to the Doctors in Training program, not First Aid.
Due to all these errors, I can't give it anything more than one star. This was a LAZY, LAZY EFFORT! Everyone on the First Aid team should be embarrassed by this! I hope they don't write research papers.