4.0 out of 5 stars Corrected and slightly enhanced revision of 2012
Published on December 23, 2012 by S.M.H.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fixed errata and better images but avoid Kindle version.
Update:

Looking at my friend's 2013 edition paperback and comparing it to 2012, there are a few confirmed errata that I noticed in 2013.

1. Renal Physiology page 483 - Should be H+/K+ transporter on the bottom left AND an H+ ATPase. [Oddly enough, the 2012 errata has this fixed).

2. Charts missing: Uncal Herniation Signs (FA2012 page 448)...
Published 23 months ago by P.H.

4.0 out of 5 stars Corrected and slightly enhanced revision of 2012, December 23, 2012
This review is from: First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 2013 (First Aid USMLE) (Paperback)
So being the compulsive person that I am about purchasing books asap for my coursework and USMLE studying, my mom purchased the Kindle version of this book and gifted it to me so I would not have to wait until Jan to get it. After going through a lot of the sections, it appears that the 2012 errors I checked were corrected and some of the images were slightly improved but not all of them. Some of the info has been slightly shifted around a page or two but Embryo section is now placed within the appropriate Organ System. This is much better because I apparently had overlooked the section entirely in 2012 when studying systems due to it being a separate section. I have not been through the entire book yet. Overall, it appears to almost be exactly the same as 2012 but with corrected errors....hopefully this book will not end up having as many errata.

UPDATE:
Kindle Edition runs terribly slow once you get past certain sections of the book. Kindle app sometimes crashes. I am using a Google Nexus 7 32GB to run. Perhaps it would have been best to get the actual book instead of wasting money on an electronic version that is sub-par.

4.0 out of 5 stars 2012 without the errata -- not many other changes, January 2, 2013
W. James Dittmar (McLean, VA United States) - See all my reviews
1. If you are a first or second year medical student and do not own a copy of First Aid, buy this.

2. If you are using the 2012 edition of First Aid, here are some differences to consider:

1. As far as I can tell, all of the errata from 2012 have been corrected (there were a ton of errors in 2012); but if you have went through and annotated your edition of 2012 this shouldn't matter very much
2. As one of the other reviewers mentioned, embryology has been moved to be contained with organ systems.
3. There are, as far as I can tell, no major changes in text content
a. There are additional pictures that have been added to 2013 that are not present in 2012.
b. Some of the diagrams have been redrawn with different colors and now seem to be a little more straightforward

The cover to the book also now seems to have some type of lamination so it appears that it will be more resistant to spills. There aren't any substantial changes, but if you're the type of person that likes to have the newest edition of everything (as I am) then I would go ahead and buy it.

UPDATE UPDATE:

The firstaidteam website (firstaidteam.com) released a list of all the changes in 2013. I found them to be useful so I'll post my paraphrasing of them here:

Structural Changes
----------
Embryology has been incorporated into relevant sections
Many entries have been merged or consolidated
The dermatology section includes 59 new color images
The Rapid Review section is better "synchronized" with underlying high-yield material
The index has been fully redone
The test preparation material in Section I is updated and expanded

Design and Layout Changes
----------
Entry formats are extensively redesigned
Mnemonics are colorized and bolded to clarify associations
Entries requiring more than 1 page are on a 2-page spread
Selected illustrations were redesigned and colorized

UPDATE:

As SMH mentioned in his review, USMLE Step 1 2013 on Kindle does not run well--at least on Mac OS X Lion. I am not familiar with the performance of Kindle on Mac in general, but it takes 10-15 seconds on my 2011 Macbook Pro to do a search through the book. At times, when I am flipping through pages on Mac Kindle in FA, Kindle ends up using 100% of my CPU and my computer locks up for a few seconds. Tried de-activating/activating my registration, reinstalling kindle, rebooting, and re-downloading the book to no avail.

As a point of comparison, I have VitalSource for some of my other textbooks and it is able to do similar searches in textbooks in 1 to 2 seconds. Being able to search quickly and go to different pages in the book is one of the main reasons I bought the Kindle version--I'm really disappointed. I don't know whether this is the fault of the publisher or the Kindle Mac developers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Edition (So Far): A Cleaned Up 2012 Edition, January 8, 2013
thedoctor8706 (Loma Linda, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Having just begun preparing for Step I (May 29 is the day!), I eagerly picked up the newest copy of First Aid. And by newest copy, I'm referring to the actual physical text, not the Kindle version. I've been working with the 2012 edition, but picked up the 2013 edition as I plan on doing Doctor's In Training 2013, and they require the most up-to-date text. I haven't read the book through in earnest yet, but from my quick skimmings, what I have noticed is that most of the content is very similar to the 2012 edition, except that the HUGE list of errata from the 2012 edition has been corrected. Other than that, you'll find a few picture tweaks here and there, but nothing major. I did notice the cover is made of a newer material this year, which is much hardier than previous editions, not to mention more "spill-proof."

I have since had the binding from my copy removed and the text 3-hole punched, and was relieved to find that a typical 3-hole punch will not punch out any words or graphics. Now my edition is in a nice binder, ready for annotation and adding of other material as I see fit.

If I come across any huge errors or problems with this text, I'll update my review, but as for now, I'm pleased with the updates they've made.

EDIT: I have noticed some errors as I have gone into my devoted Step I study period, but they are still much less than that of the 2012 edition. I still like the small changes they made (like incorporating embryology into each section rather than give it its own chapter) and think this is one of the better releases! Check First-Aid's website for a most up-to-date list of 2013 errata.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fixed errata and better images but avoid Kindle version., January 26, 2013
Update:

2. Charts missing: Uncal Herniation Signs (FA2012 page 448) - they included the index marker, but nothing exists on page 448.

3. Chart removed: Differential Diagnosis of Brain Lesions (FA2012 pg. 471)

4. Circle of Willis image removed (FA2012 pg. 443) - the stroke signs are still there on the next page in FA2013 pg 422 but without an anatomical drawing it doesn't really make too much sense.

5. Various errors in insulin regulation (some changes recommended in 2012 Errata, but were "under review" - looks like they included them in 2013 anyway without reviewing them. Eg: Glut-1 receptor on pancreatic islet cells instead of Glut-2.

6. Chart Removed Hodgkin's Lymphoma (FA2012 pg. 389).

7. Complete absence of Smooth Muscle Contraction (FA2013 pg 385 - Index says it's there, but it's not. FA2012 pg. 413 has it).

------

For some background: I received the 2012 edition as a gift and have been using it for the past 6 months. I've fixed up most of the errata and it's serving me okay but some of my friends said the 2013 edition was improved and I should probably try that. They were talking about the paper edition of course.

I purchased this hoping that the Kindle version would run well heeding S.M.H's and Kidd34's reviews and some of the other reviews suggesting that one should stay away from the Kindle editions. I did test the sample and it seemed to be running okay; however the sample doesn't give the complete picture. With all the pages, the book becomes too slow to use after a while and after a 100 pages or so. I tried maneuvering through pages rapidly, and it couldn't handle my laptop couldn't handle it on pages that were heavy in images. It took about a 3 minutes for a page with lots of images to load. Also, the pages don't overflow like regular Kindle books - it's like they're just images. So you have to zoom in and adjust constantly if you're using a laptop. If you can handle that...

In regards to the content:

From 2012 to 2013 - the errata from 2012 has been fixed for the most part. The FA team has posted what the changed on their website also if you want to take a look. 2013 images are slightly better, with minor color changes in some images/diagrams and major changes in some diagrams that had the worst errors. For example, I particularly checked out V/Q mismatch (pg 566 2012) and Metabolism (pg 102 2012) and the diagrams are corrected in 2013, leaving a lot less work for anyone thinking about purchasing 2012. They also used better colors to point out mnemonics and the drawings are slightly more cartoon-y and higher quality.

For people who already have the 2012 edition, the FA team has updated the errata (December 28, 2012) and included the improved pictures so you might as well just print them out and paste them in your 2012 book. Stick with 2012 if you've already made most of the corrections.

For people who don't have 2012, and have the boards coming up in 2013 - 2013 might be a good bet, but take heed, there may be errata that in 2013 and the notice about that won't get posted till later in the year. Stay cautious with 2013.

For those 1st years who have their boards in 2014 and are thinking about starting early: Get 2013 (paper edition) and then keep checking out the FA page for errata. Get rid of 2012 if you got it.

Whatever you do, be cautious about buying the Kindle edition. All of the changes don't really matter if you can't really use the book. I didn't get a chance to look at everything because I just couldn't take the Kindle edition's random slow downs. After about 30 minutes of trying to use it, I gave up. I don't know why I keep believing one day I'll be able to get rid of paper text books. Plus I was using my laptop, I can't imagine how slow it would be on a tablet (unless you have an iPad 4 or a Nexus 10, neither of which I have so I don't know).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great study aid, February 8, 2013
(+) COLOR! - Much better than First Aid 2011
(+) Better than first Aid 2012 - fewer errors
(+) Key information - coupled with UWORLD; it's a perfect study companion for step 1
(+) Better learning experience had from reading this book than attending your M1 / M2 classes
(+) MNEMONICS for the fundamentals

I actually enjoy reading / studying from this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatly improved over previous versions., January 9, 2013
I had a copy of FA 2011, which I used during my med school coursework. I'm now using 2013 to prepare for boards and the improvement is huge. I like the new formatting and colors. I understand the 2012 version had a great deal of errata, but that seems to be fixed in this edition.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, May 24, 2013
I have both the 2012 and 2013 editions (the 2nd was a gift). The bottom line is that there is no real functional difference between the two despite any changes that were made. It is the same book, slightly different. Here is my complaint: this book has quite a few "editors" and "contributors" who seem to be medical students. Great class project and all, but the lack of editing shows a lack of concern from Le, Bhushan, and Hofmann for the quality of the finished product. For example, 2012 had such a list of errata it is hard to believe that anyone checked any facts before printing and selling the product. Although 2013 seems to have fewer errors, it has reprinted some of the exact same ones from 2012! No one even checked the previous errata list? I mean, it was really long and all, but they are asking for more money from us, right?
First Aid is a terrific study guide for Step 1, and I would happily give it 4 stars if they bothered to properly edit. The 5th star would happen when they stopped putting out a new product every single year simply to pad their income. Step 1 does not change that much year to year - as the content of the 2 books can attest to. It is simply a ruse to squeeze a little bit more out of the already anxious medical student.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big improvement from 2012 version, January 8, 2013
This is a vastly improved First Aid compared with last year's version. From what I can see, ALL the errata from 2012 have been corrected. Also:

- Its cover is made of a stronger, better quality material
- Some of the images/diagrams have been improved (for instance, the basal ganglia diagram now uses green for excitatory pathways and red for inhibitory pathways, unlike in the 2012 version which for some idiotic reason reversed the colors)
- Embryology is now incorporated into the corresponding sections, which makes a lot more sense for studying purposes
- There are more color images (especially helpful illustrating skin conditions that previously did not have any images)
- Some things are clarified/better explained (i.e. they don't just state the definition of Kussmaul's sign, but actually explain how it happens and what it means)
- The index is greatly expanded

If you constantly were getting pissed off correcting errata in your 2012 version, I recommend buying this one. It will save you a lot of time. Cheers.

5.0 out of 5 stars A significant improvement over 2012, February 16, 2013
2012 First aid was absolutely full of errata and had a fairly useless index and table of contents. Most purchasers would cut the binding and have it rebound in spiral- so that they could add notes and bookmark area to get past the poor index.

2013 improves upon these errors completely, I cannot stress enough how much better it is than 2012.

You need to have a clear philosophy of use when working with the First Aid series- this is not a first line resource for learning the material. Instead, I think of it as a checklist- you know that you are prepared in a particular section for the USMLE based on your ability to go through that section in first aid and recognize everything it mentioned while also being able to expand the level of detail they present.

Another huge benefit to having First aid is that it combines common features together into memory tools. I found the list of P450 inhibitors and inducers to be a very useful example of this, these are lifesavers as study tools.

Ultimately I'd argue that every student preparing for the boards needs a copy of First Aid, and I hope that this review has made it clear that 2013 is the (current) one to get. When combined with added notes, lots of question banks and additional books in especially big topics (pharm, micro, pathology) it will see you through the STEP 1. As a final warning though, this cannot be used as a 'monotherapy' to studying for boards, it must be used with the aforementioned resources for maximum benefit.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for USMLE Step 1 preparation, February 4, 2013
This book is a foundation of Step 1 preparation. Its a must buy in my opinion. The book is filled with high yield info, charts, mnemonics, and pictures. The 2012 edition was the first edition to go color but this one seems like a much better because most of the glaring errors have been fixed. A few tips: use this book throughout the school year as you go through your courses and take notes on it. This will help when review time comes. I also took my book to Staples and got it spiral bound, it makes reading and annotating much easier. Good luck everyone.

First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 2013 (First Aid USMLE)
First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 2013 (First Aid USMLE) by Vikas Bhushan (Paperback - December 17, 2012)
$49.00 $44.79