4.0 out of 5 stars Attention to detail
Good safe. Bad instructions.

The steps required to program a Personal Passcode (page 5) are incorrect. Tried several times then called Customer Support (800-223-8566). The proper sequence is as follows:

1. Safe open, bolts extended, door handle in down position.
2. Open plastic cover.
3. Press reset button in door.
4. Enter new...
Published on April 7, 2009 by Steel6

3.0 out of 5 stars Only O.K.
Published on January 11, 2010 by Kefer

4.0 out of 5 stars Attention to detail, April 7, 2009
Steel6 (Fort Hood, Texas) - See all my reviews
Good safe. Bad instructions.

1. Safe open, bolts extended, door handle in down position.
2. Open plastic cover.
3. Press reset button in door.
4. Enter new passcode on keypad followed by #.
5. Enter new passcode again followed by #.
6. Green light = passcode changed successfully.

The instruction manual has #2 and #3 reversed.

5.0 out of 5 stars I figured out a way to secure it to the wall, November 10, 2010
After looking around for a safe for awhile, I found that there really aren't many choices unless you want to spend alot more money. This safe was the best deal, and best reviewed, I could find in the 2 cu. ft. range. (Sentry safes either have a poor electronic lock, or a dial that feels of cheap plastic and is difficult to turn)Anything smaller than 2 Cu. Ft. was just a waste of money in my opinion, as some valuables might actually be longer, or wider, than a piece of paper.

I wanted to buy this safe, but what is the sense of having a safe that can be carried away without much effort? I mean 150 lbs isn't light by any means, but it isn't very heavy either. This safe slides across carpet fairly easily and can be carried by 2 guys without much strain. One guy carrying a bag of concrete has more weight than he would sharing the weight of this safe. After not finding anything that I could secure to the wall, that compared in price/quality, I decided to buy it anyway, figuring I would use my carpenter skills to devise a way to keep it in place.

It was delivered by an actual delivery company and carried to my desired location in the house. No dents, scratches, or even box damage. First thing I did was take off the 4 brackets that hold the wheels and handle. After taking out the 24 screws that held these brackets, I noticed the 24 holes in the back of the safe.(There are plastic plugs included to fill these holes) Since the brackets are wrapped around the poles that hold the handle and wheels, it makes for an easy template. I took the brackets and laid them over 2 pieces of Oak that were wider than the safe(one to cross horizontally over the top set of brackets and one to cross the bottom) and by sticking a pencil thorugh the bracket holes, matched the pattern of the holes. I drilled out those holes with a drillbit. I wasn't able to use the screws that were used in the brackets because they were too short, so I used screws long enough, with slightly bigger threads. I lined up my holes in the wood to the holes in the safe and screwed it together. Then I backed the safe up to the wall and lined it up with studs on both sides(which is why I used wood wider than the safe). Predrilled 2 holes, lined up with the studs, on each side of both pieces of wood(8 holes total) and then used a countersink bit on those holes so the screws I secure into the wall will sink below the surface of the wood.(if using bolts, you will need a forstner bit to allow the bolt head to sink below the surface of the wood). Once the safe was secured to the wall, I filled in the tops of the holes with putty, stained the wood and I was done. Now a thief with a lot of time and tools, could still notice the putty hole, dig out the putty, take out the screws and be off, but I like my chances. I should note that I also used square head screws as it is much rare that a thief would have the means to unscrew them(unless you're in canada.

Other than that, I can't comment on any long term performance of the safe, or electronic lock, itself as I havent had it long. I will say the directions worked just fine for me to program a new code except the first time I tried, I screwed it up and had to wait 15 minutes to try again(the directions say you have 3 chances to screw up before it cuts you off for 15 minutes).

Anyway, I'm not recommending you do what I did, but I thought it was worth sharing.

One last thing, the brackets are secured to the poles that hold the wheels and handle, but they do spin around the poles and move up and down. I would recommend if anyone tries this, that they reattach the brackets to the safe so that they are lined up on the pole where they need to be so your template is accurate. When they are mounted on the safe, take a marker or pencil and mark the poles where the brackets line up. Then when you take the brackets back off, you will know that they are lined up where they need to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good safe for the money, February 14, 2009
PickyGuy (Omaha, NE USA) - See all my reviews
I did a bit of research before deciding to buy this safe. I've received and and placed in in the house and I'm very pleased with it.

This is a heavy safe (182 lbs) and it takes two strong people to move it. The weight is an advantage because only a very strong burglar will be able to remove it by himself.

It only has a 1 hour fire rating (for paper, not electronic media) and while I'd like a longer rating, I didn't want to pay much more than I did.

This safe is also "waterproof" and I imagine that this is as important as fireproof.

The digital codes are very easy to set and reset. This unit also comes with two keys which will open the safe (obviously you will want to hide the keys away far from the safe).

This safe is larger than most inexpensive safes at 2 cubic feet and I don't feel that it is too large.

It looks to be well made and it's backed by a large company that can help you if ever you lock the safe, forget the combination, lose the keys as you can still call Honeywell and give them the serial number. After some length of interrogation, I think that they can help you open the safe.

Lastly, you can spend thousands or tens of thousands on a safe that is burglar-proof. I didn't want to go that far. I think I made a good choice.

3.0 out of 5 stars Only O.K., January 11, 2010
Kefer (Central Coast, CA) - See all my reviews
Not a bad safe, but I found the initial programming infuriating. I consider myself to be pretty knowledgeable with most things electronic, but the instructions for programming the combination that came with my safe were just flat wrong. The instruction tell you to push in the combination reset button, then enter the new code twice. I did this over and over and over and over. Would not accept new code. After a couple of tries it would lock the mechanism requiring me to wait 15 minutes before trying again. I was just about to throw the thing through the window (no small feat) and I decided to try something different: Enter the preset code FIRST, then press the rest button, then the new code twice and...it works! Only problem is, the manual never says anything about entering the old code first (major GRRRRRR). There are several other errors in the manual (like saying the preset code is 159, but it's actually *159, and telling you the new password must be between 3-8 numbers long, then showing 2 numbers minimum in their graphic) I sent an email to Honeywell about the wrong and confusing directions...no response. Bad, bad, bad.

One other thing I really think is poorly done is the cheesy plastic cover that you have to lift up every time you enter the combination. It is beyond cheap, and makes a loud "snap" noise every time you flip it open. It will clearly not be very long before it cracks and falls off.

And one final thing you just gotta love: I went to [...] tonight to download the manual. Website no longer exists. No message, no forward, nothing. Went to Honeywell's main website, and there is nothing mentioning anything about safes anywhere. I finally found out through extensive googling that Honeywell safes are now sold by First Alert! I went to First Alert's website and was able to download the manual (which still has all of the above errors, by the way). But Honeywell must have about the worst customer service I have ever heard of - they sell a product line to another company, and then shut down the website and act like it never existed!!

After all of that complaining, I will say it is a decent safe (except for the cheap plastic cover on the keypad), but there are much better ones on the market for about the same price.

1.0 out of 5 stars The body of the safe is made of PLASTIC not steel, August 2, 2013
This review is from: First Alert 2092DF Waterproof 1-Hour Fire Safe with Digital Lock, 1.3 Cubic Feet, Gray (Tools & Home Improvement)
Because the safe does not offer any wall or floor mounting options, I decided to drill my own holes in the back to allow for fastening the safe to the wall. To my surprise, the drill bit penetrated both the inner liner and outer skin in roughly 4 seconds. Not only is the outer skin PLASTIC, the filler is soft/damp clay, it's not even hard cement. I presume the damp clay is to aid in the fire rating.

You could drill a hand sized hole with a hole-saw in a few minutes, then reach inside and empty the contents. I suppose this is a plus if forgot your lock code and lost the keys...

I assumed it was steel based on the weight, but that's all the clay between the inner liner and outer PLASTIC skin that give it it's heft. If you already own one of the beauties and don't believe me, hold a magnet up to it.

I'm perfectly happy with every other aspect of this item, but this is the most insecure "safe" I could ever imagine. Now I cannot return the POS because I drilled holes in it.

4.0 out of 5 stars good so far, September 20, 2010
have not had any electrical or performance issues with this product that I have had for about a month now. The smell some people talk about is there, but is like a strong "new safe" smell and does not bother me at all. Can't imagine it bothering anyone else either. I am in and out of it a couple times a week and has worked perfectly. I use it to store a few hard drives, some papers, cameras, pistol and ammo, and it is pretty much full. I did find out after the fact that it recommends that you DON'T store guns in there (the main reason I bought it). I believe due to the humidity that can accumulate from the fire retardant. Why there is not a seal between the cavity and the retardant is beyond me (It seems solid inside). Does that mean the fireproof capabilities will diminish over time? At any rate, I still store my gun in it and haven't seen any issues. I will occasionally leave the safe cracked open at night when I am there to make sure it airs out (This should be done with all sealing safes to prevent condensation over time). The rolling wheels and handle that come attached are a nice feature but the wheels aren't big enough for carpet, so you have to drag it anyway-the handle is handy for that I suppose. I would have preferred if they would have put the expense into a system to secure the safe to the floor (which this safe does not have) rather than lugging it around, which is a pretty important feature since one will be moving it for only 10 min, but needing it secured for years. Overall this safe has met the expectations as advertised.

4.0 out of 5 stars NOT FOR PEARLS, April 13, 2013
Judy (Matawan NJ) - See all my reviews
We just received our safe so I can't comment yet about moisture, etc. However, I wanted to let others know that besides guns, the booklet says pearls cannot be stored in the safe. The safe arrived with a 5-inch silica packet inside, so it delinitely looks like there will be a moisture issue as some reviewers have noted. Also I did not realize papers, jewelry, currency, and -to quote the warning label on the outside of the safe - other delicate items - would have to be stored in an airtight dishwasher safe container inside the safe. Now I am seaching for the ideal container to keep documents in! Still, it is a good size safe and was a good price here on Amazon, so we are happy we purchased it.

Update: The Rubbermaid 21-cup dry food container fits nicely in the safe and will tightly store papers. It does open from the top, but that does not matter as far as storing papers. It was important to find something that fit the safe, and I did a lot of searching. If interested, this is the item, available here on Amazon: Rubbermaid FG7M7400CHILI 21-Cup Dry Food Container.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT BUY, November 10, 2011
First Alert 2092DF Waterproof 1 Hour Fire Safe with Digital Lock, 1.3 Cubic Foot, Gray
My wife and I researched extenively and this First Alert 2092DF model was the only waterproof model in this size that had the 1 hour fire protection, a digital lock, and bypass keys (the safe comes with 2 keys). The price was less than non-waterproof models and we also got free shipping. Out safe arrived in tact, double-packed and within a week of ordering. The instructions in the enclosed manual for setting your own entry code are wrong. Step #1 tells you to press the RESET button. Step #2 tells you to then flip up the plastic cover of the keypad. Step #3 tells you to enter your new password = twice. This sequence locks you out - bascially the safe goes into a sleep mode for 15 minutes. You'll know your locked out because the lights on the keypad stop working. We thought the batteries were dead or we had a malfunctioning safe. When the keypad lights up when you flip up the plastic cover, the lock out is over, and you can try again to reset your passcode. The correct sequence is to flip up the plastic cover BEFORE you press the RESET button. Then enter your new passcode - twice. Make sure you hit the # key after each entry. The # key is like hitting ENTER on any other keyboard. The # key at the end is part of your new passcode. We also advise making sure your bypass keys work before you try retting your passcode, in case you accidently lock yourself out with the safe closed. Anyway we think we bought a great safe. As a final note, our safe came with a large dessicant bag. Don't throw it away. Keep it in the safe. With the waterproof seal, this will absorb any moisture trapped in the safe when closed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Product - Needs better shipping though, June 21, 2009
I have been using this product for about 2 months now. I read the previous reviews and was worried about the shipping but decided to order it anyway.
Well it came in a few days....and it was damaged. The package was obviously dropped and the plastic was dented/cracked in a few places. The door still opened though and still seemed to seal well. However, I don't spend this kind of money and then expect to recieve it damaged. I called amazon and they promplty returned my call, set up a return shipment (at no cost to me)and it was picked up the next day by UPS. About 3 days later I recieved an email that said another safe was on the way. Luckily the new safe was packaged with the original box, packed inside another larger box that was padded well. The new safe was in great shape and it works great. Lots of room inside. Easy to open - we use it several times a day and haven't had any issues with it yet. If they package it well, I am sure most will be satisfied with it. Thanks to Amazon, overall this purchase weent fairly well and I still saved money over buying one locally.

1.0 out of 5 stars Be careful, January 12, 2012
Harrison (Greer, SC, United States) - See all my reviews
The pictures here say First Alert but the safe I got says Honeywell on it. It also said Honeywell on the box. I have had it for a couple of years and discovered a big problem. We had not been in the safe for month and when we opened it yesterday everything in it was damp and there was mildew and mold on a lot of the stuff. There was even water in the battery tray. The safe is in our master bedroom closet and I know it was never in water or had water spilled on it. I found a split in the plastic seam on the side of the door and all I can assume is that damp air some how got in there and in the dark, the mold and all started to grow and it set up it's own environment in there. We had desicant in there in a bag but that did not seem to make a difference.