Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on July 28, 2012
I bought this to replace a Lorex system and a Logitec two camera system that I was forever having trouble with. I thought that First alert would be a better brand and carefully installed four of the cameras but am very disheartened by the poor video quality and horrible colors...Pink Palm trees? I tired to adjust the color balance to make the palm fronds green, but then the green house trim turns purple. For $400 bucks, first alert should be ashamed of themselves for putting out such cheap plastic junk.
The cameras are a bit flimsy and the holders, while stronger than both the Lorex and Logitech still leave something to be desired.
The menu is not exactly simple to figure out, a few times it was not recording when it appeared to be set to record and at least twice two of the four cameras went of line and could only be retried by rebooting the system.
I do NOT recommend this cheap system. I bought in-store at Compusa and if it was not for the extreme hassle it would be to take it all down, I would take it back for a refund.
For all the issues, even with the horrific colors, it still functions as a security camera, working better in the day time, at night the infra-red is very poor and an intruder, even if recorded would not be recognizable...

I thought I was getting a good deal for the price...WRONG, it seems like a lot of the security camera offerings are made with incredibly cheap components, after trying three different brands I am still not happy and doubt if this system will last a year!
on January 28, 2013
First things first - this is wholly a consumer product. It is not meant for long ranges (probably less than 30 feet away for good detail) or for the best quality. But I was pleasantly surprised how well it does in low light at night with just a porch light. Even with my detached garage at night being 30 feet away, I get good enough quality to be satisfied. For the price I have no complaints.

Two of my cameras are installed inside my house pointing at my front and back glass doors (less than 10 feet away). I get perfect quality and can see who was at my door. The next 6 cameras are mounted under the eaves and face my driveway, detached garage, even my air conditioner unit.

I wasn't expecting much, I just wanted anything to deter crime with my cameras visable under the eaves and a DVR to record any activity. If I were to notice something amiss when I get home, I will scan the DVR to see what occurred. Happy to say (knock on wood) there hasn't been any need to scan, but I do periodically check on the system and will watch myself coming home from work (as a test) to make sure DVR is recording and cameras are pointed correctly.

I do not like to buy electronics and having to read a huge manual and investing too much time hooking up the electronics. In one afternoon I had the entire system up and running with most the time spent drilling the holes and feeding the wires. Plug and play and it works right away.

My 8 Cameras cover the entire exterior of my house and both doors without difficulty. I'm planning on buying a second system for my detached garage to cover my entire property. There will be redundancy in certain camera angles, but oversaturation will be a good thing.

I shopped for security systems for many years. I've seen the prices drop and systems going from VHS to DVRs with remote access. I waited and kept shopping till this system met my criteria and came at a price I could not believe. I expect more advances and features and the price dropping in years to come, but I wanted something NOW and this system was better than expected.

Cons: camera color is tinted pink for distances on sunny days. It will still show me in good detail who was there, just not the best natural color unless subject is within 15 feet. First Alert seems to have other camera options available, perhaps there are better quality cameras with audio available. Other than that, still pleased I have a system that works well within my budget.

UPDATE: I did buy a second system for a detached garage. With no wallboard or ceiling, all 8 cameras were installed in moments. Most cameras are installed inside looking out of windows or showing the interior of my garage. With both systems in operation, there aren't any areas on nearly an acre not covered by both systems. From inside the garage I get a great view to the back of my yard, nearly 60 feet.
on December 30, 2013
We installed 4 of these systems at our church. I am happy overall, but there are some drawbacks. The cameras were below average quality and we had to buy some specialty cameras from other vendors for some of our applications, the difference in camera quality is evident. We did use approx 10 of the factory cameras and they work ok. Just not the image quality of a nicer camera. The system has been working well and so far we have no serious complaints. We have 32 cameras, some with cable runs over 275'. We had to buy heavier cable for the runs over 75' but the image quality is great with the heavy wire. The dvr's work well and have huge memory capicity for the money. We bought our systems at Menards for under $300 per system (must have been clearanced). The overall simplicity in the installation was nice, a group of high school kids helped with the install. I would buy more if I needed them.
on July 28, 2012
I bought this system thinking it would be ok but was def wrong colors are all messed up and for 400 bucks first alert should be ashamed of themselves.
on April 9, 2014
It is not possible for a cameras to be lower quality than this. Seriously the worst possible at any price. DVR is decent and web setup is easy enough. Just don't expect a clear image, accurate color, or night range over a few feet. Seriously, pick any other brand. This is a glorified baby monitor.
33 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 9, 2013
People, Please! "Oh, the quality is bad". It is what it is for this price. This is a complete - truly complete - system with eight cameras and a DVR for the price of 2 medium quality cameras elsewhere , and the other reviewers kvetch (with a capital B) because if isn't superb quality. If you want to spend 10 to 15 thousand dollars, do so. But it won't be 30 times better than this.
I put this one in at home in two days including 8 cameras with attic wiring, networking and iPhone ap. When I am richer and over time, I will upgrade the cameras (and maybe some of the wiring). But that is in the future and I am protected NOW.
So I am not embarrassed to recommend this system. BTW, I paid $399.00 for it.
on May 18, 2014
Good basic system, easy to install and set up, system is easy to navigate, fair quality playback system, a little cumbersome when searching for a particular event.