Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on November 15, 2005
Do not buy this product!! Extremely inaccurate and false-alarm prone. We purchased this easy-to-use CO detector for our home. We plugged it in and about a month later, it woke us at 4:00 a.m. to tell us that it detected CO in the air. I called the fire department to check the CO levels, and none was detected anywhere in the home. One of the firemen said that he had the same thing happen to him with his First Alert CO detector. ALL of the firemen said that the First Alert detector was prone to giving false alarms, and that the Kidde Knighthawk was the best on the market. After the firemen left, I searched the internet and found that many other people have had similar problems. A few people compared CO levels side-by-side, using the First Alert unit and the more sophisticated fireman's unit. The First Alert unit consistently detected CO in the air when there was none.
on August 9, 2007
After 9-12 months use it started beeping and displayed "err". There's no explanation of what to do. Not worth pursuing---just threw it away---I would stay away from this product.
on June 25, 2009
My also failed in less than a year - It now constantly beeps and indicates 'err' on the display.

I didn't have my original receipt (I didn't buy it from Amazon), but I decided to call first alert warranty services anyway (1-800-323-9005). The very friendly CSR told me that the 'err' display indicates the sensor has failed and the unit will need to be replaced. She gathered my shipping info and some info about the unit and offered to send a replacement for $6.50 to cover S&H, and I would need to mail a check or money order since their credit-card system was down.

I'm going to send in the check. I'm hoping they've addressed the quality issues, and the new unit will last longer.
on April 30, 2009
This CO detector seemed fine until we got an Air Hog remote controlled helicopter which set the detector off. Next we got a Vizio HD TV and just turning the TV on caused the detector to activate it's alarm. This thing was a waste of money. If you're in the market for a carbon monoxide detector, look elsewhere.
on October 28, 2009
I have the exact same experience as the previous reviewer. The unit quit working after a year or so. It had Err in the LCD. I called warranty service and the Indian tech support guy was quite friendly and agreed to replace it at $6.5 for shipping and processing. They only take check or money order only because their credit card system is down. It seems that the credit card system has been down forever and they never bother to fix it.

The quality of this product is questionable since there are so many failures. Try to avoid it at all costs.
on January 7, 2012
Like everyone else said, don't buy this. It requires a 9v battery to work properly even if hooked up to electric outlet. And then it eats up the brand new battery in 1 week and starts beeping that the battery is dead. I have had it for a few years and it seems once a year, I pull it out and plug it in with new battery just to find out that a week later it will start beeping that battery is dead. Very disapointing.
on February 25, 2015
One more major negative on this crummy product. Eats batteries left and right, puts out totally non decipherable error codes, and we simply dont trust it or the First Alert company. Hey consumer reports, here is a nice target for one of your studies. Some corporate fat cats sell these worthless products and refuse to back up their products. Never again First Alert, you are on our permanent black list.
on February 5, 2014
Gave me error messages after 4 year. Called First Alert and they said it's out of warranty because last model built was 2003. I told him the date of manufactured is 2009 so how is that possible. Then he says well it's still over 5 years. I told him just because it is built in 2009 doesn't mean I bought it then. I bought it in 2010. Then he says in that case he needs receipt. Horrible company. They make every excuses not to own up to the warranty. Will never buy First Alert again.
on August 17, 2015
Everything met my expectations. I didn't expect that batteries were included but they were. I'm happy that I didn't expect the batteries because one of the had an expiration date of 2013. I am pleased with the product and the delivery. The whole process was excellent.
on December 26, 2012
First alert refuses to replace because it works for about a day on a new battery. Yes, its plugged in. So they have me put a new battery in and voila it works. They did their job. The next day or week it beeps again saying "bat." Call First alert, Repeat. I paid $50 for a two pack. Very unhappy with the company.