5.0 out of 5 stars Works great.
Published on December 1, 2010 by Aaron Chenoweth

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't Work as a Ceiling Light
Very disappointed in this product. I can walk in, jump around the room and the sensor doesn't trigger. I literally had to get on a ladder and wave my hand in front of the sensor to get the light to turn on. Useless. When it does turn on it take forever to turn off.

Published on October 18, 2011 by Riddick Q Lust

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great., December 1, 2010
This review is from: First Alert PIR725 Motion Sensing Light Socket (Tools & Home Improvement)
Our old house has the old pull chains for the closet lights to turn them on and off. Well over the years several have broke and I have finally gotten sick of fixing them. So, I looked for some other way to get light in there without hiring an electrician to rewire. Then I came upon this device and thought I would give it a try. I hooked it up in our main bedroom closet - you just pretty much screw in the device and then your light bulb. Close the door and 5 minutes latter: it turns on and off by motion - That's it.

It worked so well, I installed them in all our closets and the basement tool room.

Edit: Just found one issue to let you know about. You need about 2 feet clearance going down at a 45* angle on all sides for this to work perfectly (if that makes sense). So if the light bulb is right next to a wall or there are things placed right next to it; it will have problems turning on thru motion - you will have to wave your hand to get it to turn on. Overall thou I still think it works great and only had a problem with our one closet that had a shelf high up right next to the light bulb.

4.0 out of 5 stars Primary function is good; some quibbles, January 21, 2012
I've had this gizmo in place for about one month and I thought I'd provide a report for those who want some details on performance.
1. This unit does NOT have a light sensor; that is, it still turns on/off even in the daylight. The product description is silent on this point, my bad for not noticing.
2. The light stays on for about four minutes after activating; NOT adjustable.
3. Despite these quibbles, I am pleased with the key factor: does it reliably sense movement at a reasonable distance? YES.

I needed to light a 3-car garage with a nine-foot ceiling. There is already a duplex outlet in the ceiling; to test this unit I bought a simple adapter Leviton Mfg L10-00061-00I Ivory Outlet Adapter Bakelite Slimpak and plugged the whole thing in, hoping the weight of this unit plus a bulb wouldn't simply fall out of the outlet. So far so good (although I will admit to a safety string in case it comes loose).

So performance: the light works reliably at a distance of 15 feet..... the situation is such that I can't test to see if it works any further away than that. Interestingly, it does not ALWAYS detect my German Shepherd, but it triggers on humans of every size who are vertical. The nine-foot ceiling may be the problem here.
One other piece of info you won't find in the description.... the detection pattern is not completely circular .... it's shaped kind of like a figure-8 with a fat middle. This unit is marked with two arrows, 180 degrees apart, indicating the direction of the longest range. My experience is that this unit triggers at 15-foot distance, regardless of which way it's aimed.

So now I'm going to install a permanent socket and get rid of that string. Hope this information helps you.

UPDATE: OK I've determined that the unit DOES reliably detect the German Shepherd, but the range is about 10 feet. I'm reasonably certain the range would be greater with an 8' ceiling.

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't Work as a Ceiling Light, October 18, 2011

UPDATE: A second one works great out of the box (thus far). Judging the by split of the other reviews it seems to be a manufacturing quality control issue. Returning the bad one for a replacement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nifty Little Devise, October 14, 2010
After finding that the three linked lights in my utility room (which I always seem to enter with a load in my hands) would not work with a light switch sensor, I decided to try this device. It solved my problem and I am no longer dropping items as I struggle to turn the lights on. I appreciate this device even more each time I carry something into my storage area.

3.0 out of 5 stars Limited applications, but it works, January 3, 2012
Bought it to use on my outside porch light fixture, which is open on the bottom, and glass on the sides, assuming it would still be able to see me through the glass. It didn't. I think part of the issue was the glass sides, and part was the height of the fixture, at 10-11 ft, it just wasn't seeing me. I jumped, I waved, and nothing made it come on, until I went back up the stairs, and then it came on. Not really what I needed, so I took it down.

I put it in my basement, as the ceilings are lower, and the fixtures are all bare bulb, with no glass surrounds. It works like a charm there. Comes on every time - no matter which way I approach it, and stays on for about 5 min after I leave. I think the 5 minutes might be a bit long, but not a biggie. There's no way to adjust that, that I could find, but I'll take it.

It is pretty big and clunky, and wouldn't fit in any fixture with a glass globe, anyway, so this is primarily a bare bulb fixture kind of thing. If you buy it for that purpose, I think you'll be happy with it. If you want it for a fixture with any sort of surround, or really high ceilings, I think you may be disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars limited coverage straight down, June 23, 2011
Bought this for use in a closet but it could not detect me entering directly below the light; sensor visibility seemed to be limited straight down. Subsequently purchased another detector with movable sensor that works perfectly for this purpose: American Tack (Hemco) OMLC3BC Outdoor Motion Activated Light Control

1.0 out of 5 stars Another made in China crap shoot, April 23, 2012
dontwannabeageek (Rochester, NY USA) - See all my reviews
I have tried three different brands of motion sensing sockets, this being one of them. I bought three of these from Amazon about a little over a year ago.

I have the same problem with these as every other brand that I have purchased: They work fine out of the box, but within a short time (a couple of days to a few months), they either fail to come on, or fail to turn off (which is usually what seems to happen).

As I said, I bought three of these. They are rated for a 50 watt CFL, and I had identical 25 watt CFLs installed in each of them. One of them is still working, and I really like that it shuts off after a 5 minute delay (all others that I have tried have a 10 minute delay). HOWEVER, the others do not turn off, which started at various points in time few weeks after I installed them.

I am *so* frustrated with all of this junk that gets foisted upon us. I so wish that there was a quality American made product like this that I could purchase... if anyone knows of such a thing, PLEASE reply to this review and let me know, I would be enormously grateful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Auto light - still working, December 11, 2010
Bought this motion sensor on/off light because it allowed use of CFLs. The first one worked for a week and then stopped working. Ace Hardware learned of the defect through an email I sent the company and right away agreed to replace it. I've had the replacement in for about five days and so far, so good.First Alert PIR725 Compact Fluorescent Bulb Compatible Motion Sensing Socket

3.0 out of 5 stars Did not work for me, June 13, 2011
I installed this sensing socket in a closet and it would not work. My ceiling is 10ft and the sensors would not turn the light on. Stand on a ladder and waive your hand by it and it would turn the light on.

2.0 out of 5 stars hit or miss, February 16, 2011
There appears to be a high rate of failure of these items. i've bought 8 and three died within 2-3 weeks of use, meaning the light stays on and doesn't shut off. very disappointing, especially for the price. suggest you order 50-100% more of them than you need. also, the properly working ones do turn the light off if you are not moving around while in their view.

First Alert PIR725 Motion Sensing Light Socket