5.0 out of 5 stars More More More!!
Published on November 26, 2000 by Melanie Kingdon

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the rest of the series
Published on August 19, 2006 by Reader Rivka

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the rest of the series, August 19, 2006
We love the "my first board books" series - they really hold our 16-month-old daughter's interest, and she asks for them again and again. I was excited to buy the "animals" book, expecting it to be fantastic, but was disappointed to find that mixed in with the crisp, gorgeous photos that are a DK Publishing hallmark were a number of flat, uninteresting drawings of animals. Even animals that should have been easy to find photos of - wolf, penguin, pigeon - are represented by drawings instead. There are still plenty of great photos, but it's a shame that ALL the pictures aren't photos.

5.0 out of 5 stars More More More!!, November 26, 2000
Melanie Kingdon (Salt Lake City, UT USA) - See all my reviews
I first received a DK Board book when I was expecting my now 20 month old twin boys. Since birth my husband and I have tried to read to them as much as possible an assortment of books. Always going back to their favorites-DK Board Books. Naming them all favorities but the number 1 is the Animals. They love to look at the great pictures and have learned all the sounds. This book and its adjoining set have wonderful pictures that show exactly what an object looks like and ALL children seem to just love them. I am finishing buying the set for Christmas and am waiting for more to come. GREAT GIFT FOR LITTLE ONES!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Too busy, November 25, 2005
It's a good book, but there are too many animals on each page. The book is more for an advanced reader, rather than a beginner. A picture of a bird is sufficient, rather than 10 different types of birds and all the different names. Also, fyi, note the dimensions of the book, it's smaller than I thought it'd be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome for Little Animal Lovers, October 22, 2000
Jodi Lee (Southern, California) - See all my reviews
Our 26 month old son has been an animal lover since birth! So I have alot of hands on experience with all types of "animal" books, touch and feel, board books, hard-cover, "sound", etc. I purchased this book about two months ago. From the day I brought it home, this adorable but realistic book is one of Jake's favorites. Part of our family bed-time routine is reading time; my husband and I sit with Jakey and read different books for about 30 minutes. If we forget to "choose" Jakey's "mamal" book, we are in big trouble. This book goes everywhere with us when Mommy has to run errands or has an appointment. This week Jakey had tubes put in his ears and he choose this book and "Good-Night Moon" and "Guess How Much I Love You" to take with. From a parents perspective, the pictures are bright and colorful and yet the animals are "real". The catagories are delightful, especially "baby" animals and "noisey" animals. He loves to make the sounds, the donkey and the seal are his favorite, he cracks up everytime Mommy attempts to "Ee-Aww". This is also a book that he "reads" by himself. We would highly recommend this book for showing what real animals look like and "sound" like. Believe me, its much more fun than pushing a button to hear a canned rooster.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Wonderful!, August 26, 2000
By A Customer
My twin 1 year olds can't keep their hands off this book. I imagine I read it to them at least 5 times a day...and in between they 'read' it by themsleves many times. They love the bright colors and want to know what every animal is called. Their favorite page is the 'noisy' animals page, because there we get to make all sorts of fun sounds! I'd recommend this book to anyone wanting to get a good book for their baby to learn about animals and what they look like. Lots and lots of fun! And as other readers have said, it's a REALLY durable book. Our "Goodnight Moon" board book has long had it's cover ripped off and pages chewed to mush. But our "My First Animals" board book still looks practically new despite the 'mileage' the twins have put on it. My only regret is that I didn't get the entire series when I bought this one. I plan on correcting that mistake soon!

5.0 out of 5 stars This little book is wonderful!!!!, April 12, 1999
This book is perfect for little hands to manipulate and great at introducing a wide variety of animals to small children. Hightens the curiosity and motor skills of youngsters. My son absolutley adores his little board books; a must for any parent wanting to give their child a glimpse of our world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, great price!, December 2, 1999
By A Customer
My son (15 months) LOVES this book. I bought it after a 20 month old friend brought it while visiting and he couldn't get enough of it. I would call out "who wants to read about animals?", and instantly would have two eager children on my lap! It is like a dictionary of animals for toddlers, and unlike many board books I have seen, it isn't just a couple of pages long.

4.0 out of 5 stars Keeps our son's attention, March 28, 2006
As much as our son loves trucks and truck books, he's a big fan of this one too. Each page is a theme such as "creepy crawlies" or "babies in the wild" with appropriate pictures. The pictures are quite good and eye catching. The book is somewhat above average in durability compared to others of this brand (so far). The "pages" seem thinner than in other books, most likely to accomodate many more pages than are in others.

The good: LOTS of animals to look at on each page. LOTS of pages in this book to keep you busy for a while. If you want a faster read, you can turn two pages at a time and still have a good amount of material to go through. A big variety of animals, including more and less familiar ones (to me anyway).

The bad: Perhaps too many animals on each page, and too many pages. To read the entire book in one sitting seems to take a long time.

I do recommend it as a very good, fun, interesting book for kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with this book, November 14, 2001
Amazon Customer "kara_h" (Hooper, WA United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this book for my daughter when she was a year old. At first I was concerned that so many pictures of animals on each page would be overwhelming and too busy for her. But instead, I think it's why she likes it...because we can focus on different animals each time we look through the book together. This is one of few books that she will select herself to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars My daughter's favorite, September 15, 2000
By A Customer
This is the best book I have ever purchased for my daughter. She brings it everywhere with her including the car and bed. We spend hours everyday quizzing each other on the animal's names and the noises they make. The pictures are life-like and colorful and the book is age appropriate even for the youngest children because there are no paper pages to be torn. Crayon also wipes off the pages nicely. I not only recommend this book, but the entire collection, which I am eager to get my hands on after the wonderful results I've had with this book.