5.0 out of 5 stars For All Aspiring Artists
This is a GREAT way to teach little kids how to draw common objects. Each picture has four squares, one for each stage of drawing; the last square is the complete picture, which they are encouraged to color in. Very simple lines, very easy to copy. Each page with the four stages is followed by a big blank page, where they can try out what they just learned...
Published on April 7, 2010 by Ursula K. Raphael

3.0 out of 5 stars Uninspiring selection of drawings?
Published on November 26, 2011 by Elizabeth

5.0 out of 5 stars For All Aspiring Artists, April 7, 2010
This review is from: My First Book of Drawing (Kumon Workbooks) (Paperback)

There's not much to it, but the objects range from toys to animals to people, etc...all things kids are most likely to be drawing on their own.

I would recommend getting a sketchbook for your child to continue using their new drawing skills. Since my son is still learning how to read and write on his own, he has a sketchbook that he draws pictures in to remember his day. The Kumon drawing book has given him more confidence with his pictures.

3.0 out of 5 stars Uninspiring selection of drawings?, November 26, 2011
This review is from: My First Book of Drawing (Kumon Workbooks) (Paperback)
I started buying Kumon workbooks some months ago for my now almost 4year old. The workbooks were a success for the most part with some exceptions this one being one of them. I don't know if there is a logical reason behind the selection and progression of the drawings, but in general I can say that there are too many that do not seem all that appealing. I have not given up on it, but I don't think this on will be a favorite (does a 4 yr old really care to learn how to draw a mushroom, an eggplant, a single boot, a spoon, a pan,..).

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good book for very young developing children, November 12, 2014
This review is from: My First Book of Drawing (Kumon Workbooks) (Paperback)
This is a really good book for very young developing children to practice their hand eye coordination skills. It has clear step by step instruction on how to go on to the next step, along with the final finished drawing example for my kids to refer to anytime they want. As I flip through the book, I see that it starts out with the basics, simple shapes and form and then goes on to more challenging drawings that uses techniques that have been learned in the previous drawings beforehand. The drawings included in the book contains objects of all kinds and my kids have a blast doing this and it keeps them busy. When they do put the book down in search of something else that's fun, they always go to that bouncing deer, another product I bought for them on Amazon. It's great because the kids have fun bouncing around the house and when they get tired, I offer them this book to work or they just take a nap. I highly recommend this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Review From an Artist - GREAT BEGINNING DRAWING BOOK!, February 26, 2011
This review is from: My First Book of Drawing (Kumon Workbooks) (Paperback)
This book has simple drawing directions, any mommy, daddy or child could use it on their own. My husband is using it to teach our children to draw the objects and they beg for "art lessons" all the time.

Lately they have been picking up the book and doing it on their own (they are 5 and 4).

My husband is professional artist, and this gets his thumbs up for ease of use, and basic skills taught.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book For Learning How To Draw!, April 20, 2013
This review is from: My First Book of Drawing (Kumon Workbooks) (Paperback)
The Kumon series of books works by empowering children to succeed on their own. The books get successively more difficult as they build upon skills learned from the previous pages, so that by the end of the book the child has a sense of accomplishment and be ready to move on to the next level. The instructor is more of a mentor or coach than a teacher in a classroom.

This drawing book is designed to help teach basic drawing skills by tracing simple shapes. There are four blocks showing the stages of how to draw each object. The last block is the completed drawing and the child is encouraged to color it in. The book begins with an apple which is basically a circle with a stem. It shows how to draw it in a three step process: first draw a circle, then add an arc at the top for a 3d effect, then one more small arc for the stem. It encourages tracing over their drawing on the front of the page, then on the back there's a space to try it again for practice. There are 40 drawings in this book and they get progressively harder as you go on. By the end of the book there are pictures of block houses, tea kettles, and dolls.

Here are the drawings included in this book so you can see the progression:
An apple, baseball, balloon, orange, cherry, egg, snow cone, acorn, mushroom, eggplant, hot dog, strawberry, hamburger, boot, cap, watermelon, shirt, mouse, bear, dog, fox, cupcake, tulip, spoon, pan, whale, kite, mug, lunch box, baby bottle, key, bat, glasses, parachute, cat, clown face, die, blocks, kettle, and doll.

This is a great workbook for any child who is interested in learning how to draw and developing pre-writing skills!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great "...First Book of Drawing", June 7, 2011
This review is from: My First Book of Drawing (Kumon Workbooks) (Paperback)
I agree 100% with other 2 5-star ratings ( Ursula K. Raphael "AstraDaemon" (USA) and Mommy of Four) - this is an excellent book for development of artistic ability as well as fine motor skills. Child learns to follow on the line and sees clearly the progression of the drawings. Before this book my daughter would get frustrated while drawing because she wasn't seeing the object immediately. By putting the drawing as 4 steps, with each the steps being repeated until the 4th step, she realises now that it may not look like a fox, a hotdog, a boot, a bat, etc with the first few lines but you add detail to get what you want.

Yes you would need clean sheets to do additional drawings. Plus my daughter loves to gift drawings to people! so lots of additional pages for additonal drawings. I got crayons for her white board so she'll use that as well. Parents pay attention too, because you may be called upon to draw when their memory doesn't remember the stroke to make to get the picture!

40 day-to-day items: food, fruit, animal faces, toys, utensils. I'm surprised that KUMON doesn't have a more advanced set of drawing books to continue the progression as they do alphabet-sentences, numbers-multiplication, number games-dollars & cents. I still need help with a princess, horse (full body), house, more full body animals, dragons, etc.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book, but age 5 -6 - 7 is more accurate, February 28, 2014
This review is from: My First Book of Drawing (Kumon Workbooks) (Paperback)
My kids like this book. I like this book. Both are important if I'm going to be engaged in any project or learning time with them. I have a 4.5 yr old and a 7 yr old. The book is far more engaging for the 7 yr old. She is a bit of an advanced at freehand drawing and will meticulously copy a picture from a book on to her own paper. She has the concentration and the interest level to know that if she sticks with it, the results will come. The 4.5 yr old WANTS to draw the same way, but simply does not have the control over her drawing instruments. She's a bright child, but can not seem to grasp the step by step concept of making the shapes that build the object in a frame-by-frame basis. This could simply be because she's more of an early reader and doesn't have the spacial awareness yet to copy something she sees from one place to another because that part of her brain is not ready yet, but I'm thinking about the other kids in her day-care class and I know there would be few if any that could follow the steps required to use this book. That said, the drawings are more appealing to the age group of 3-4-5 than they are for what I believe to be the skill level, or age level for this process. Other than the age grading, it's an awesome book that covers more than just the combination of basic shapes to create something, like a bunch of circles and squares. There are more complex shapes combined to create drawings your kids will be really proud of. My advice, don't look at the ages printed on the book. Of course, this is a challenge when the kid using it reads the ages and says "HEY! I'm not 3 years old!!" That doesn't make them wan

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good for beginners, motor planning, January 24, 2014
This review is from: My First Book of Drawing (Kumon Workbooks) (Paperback)
This is a REALLY great book for my daughter. She is behind in her drawing skills developmentally (age six drawing like 3) We bought this book and use it with a clear tracing template that she can use with dry erase markers, so she can practice over and over again. She really needs the step by step intstruction and it helps they have a photo of what the completed picture should look like so she can embellish her final drawing. LOVE IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars drawing, March 8, 2014
This review is from: My First Book of Drawing (Kumon Workbooks) (Paperback)
Great way to teach how to draw, my daughter loves these, they are great quality and really colorful. I like to put a clear page over and let her use dry erase markers to be able to redo pages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great to practice fine motor, November 28, 2012
This review is from: My First Book of Drawing (Kumon Workbooks) (Paperback)
My son enjoys this book. I read some reviews that complained that their child did not improve their drawing skills with this book. I think the book is intended to improve fine motor skills in general. When my son looks carefully at the picture and tries to copy what he is looking at, it helps him practice doing the same with his letters and numbers. My son is 5 and in kindergarten, but he has that stereotypical boy handwriting and little interest in making it look "pretty." All these kumon books are good for sneaking in a little extra practice!

My First Book of Drawing (Kumon Workbooks)
My First Book of Drawing (Kumon Workbooks) by Kumon (Paperback - June 10, 2009)
$7.95