4.0 out of 5 stars Great review for USMLE vignettes
Published on September 7, 2012 by M2

3.0 out of 5 stars Simplistic for board review, may be a good intro to material
I purchased this book because it was suggested as an adjunct to First Aid for the Step 1. That book is excellent, but this one is a little weak. I was hoping to gain more insight from the case-based format of this book, but was a little underwhelmed with the cases.

Published 23 months ago by katarinaism

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great review for USMLE vignettes, September 7, 2012
This book has a lot of frequently-tested scenarios and really lays it out in a way that I think helps guide you through many different types of questions. It covers a few high-yield topics from most subjects tested on the USMLE, like anatomy, microbio, biochem etc. For any given condition, it gives you multiple levels of information with a concise presentation. This is the kind of integration you need for board questions. For example, it will list clinical signs and symptoms that point you in the direction of a disease then give you other pertinent associations like treatment and pathology. How many times have you been reading a question stem, thought, "Oh! I know this! It's acute intermittent porphyria!" but then you read on and that's not what it's asking. It will ask, "what is the treatment?" or "what gene is this associated with?". True to First Aid Fashion, this book delivers those little tidbits better than most of my basic medical science professors. The one star that I subtract is for length, I feel they could have put in a few more disorders without straying into the realm of "they'll never test THAT". But to be fair that's not what it's about--it's not meant to be a reference book with all the details. And no review book covers everything. It's meant to be more bang for your book, and I think it's a great board review book that seems to hit a lot of the most highly-tested material.

3.0 out of 5 stars Simplistic for board review, may be a good intro to material, December 25, 2012
This review is from: First Aid Cases for the USMLE Step 1, Third Edition (First Aid USMLE) (Paperback)

I was disappointed that the cases were very simple, and by the time I started using this book I was already pretty deep in my Step 1 preparation. When I'd read the vignettes, it only took one or two sentences before it was clear exactly what disorder they were trying to get at. The questions were very common sense, like "What is the treatment?" or "What is the mechanism of this disease?" and the explanations were terse and didn't add much to my knowledge since I had already read First Aid. It appears that the cases were written probably by medical students or residents, and not by specialists in their respective fields. This book really felt like a recapitulation of FA in Vignette/Q and A format. So if you've been through FA already, you'll be disappointed.

The only way I can see this book being useful is if it is used early on, such as in first year or early second year before one has learned a lot of pathology and physiology. In that case it may serve as an interactive introduction to the material that the student is learning. However, if you use this after doing any significant Step 1 preparation, it will be very repetitive and not very beneficial.

I would suggest doing more question bank questions instead of using this book. If you're looking for an engaging case-based format, try perusing NEJM's "Case Files from the Massachusetts General Hospital". They are multifaceted, complex, and a much better learning tool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, December 26, 2012
This book is a a collection of important cases in all basic science subjects usually tested on the board exams. I have not finished reading it but it proves to be worth the money and time. The cases are broken down in sections and answered in a stepwise manner, highlighting key associations that allows for easy recall of important points.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Superificial, June 24, 2014
The book doesn't have any substance to it. I understand it's supposed to be an additional resources, but the time wasted on using this book I could have been doing something like Pathoma or UWorld.

I guess it isn't a bad book to use during your earlier Step 1 prep time, such as end of MS2.... Though even then you could still do something else like USMLE-RX.... or spend that time on Firecracker.

It doesn't even help that this book is also outdated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Case Study Book for Step 1, November 12, 2013
Great way to work through cases. My school gives NBME questions for our exams so this has been really helpful to see the different types of questions that could be ask related to high-yield topics in each organ system. Recommend!

4.0 out of 5 stars complements First Aid very well, June 20, 2013
just helpful to see the material in a Q and A format, helps with understanding the baseline concepts. recommend use with FIRST AID and Q&A

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product!, February 14, 2012
I love this book!! It has helped me prepare for many of my system exams, and we have integrated cases coming up, so I plan to use this as extra practice when preparing for the boards.

5.0 out of 5 stars good for studying the classic presentation of diseases, July 19, 2014
It's good for studying the classic presentation of diseases regardless of whether you're studying for the board exam. It's interesting knowledge. You flip to a page and it presents you with a case: there's a patient and it describes his symptoms. Maybe you try to guess what's wrong and how to treat it. If you know know, you read further down the page. It's very useful in that way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Your atypical board review book that fills a useful niche, April 27, 2014
This is NOT a core board review book. You do not treat this like First Aid, Pathoma, etc. It is in no way sufficient.

HOWEVER, I think this is a great book to browse through when you are 'burnt out' on the dry content books that make up the majority of study. I usually keep this by my bed and I read a case or two before hitting the sack.

You don't really even have to like the 'case-based' form of learning to benefit from this book. It ties in basically anything from First Aid that relates to the case (mnemonics, etc) so it's a good way to study longitudinally.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, April 21, 2014
My medical school uses a case based curriculum, so this has been very useful as we go through cases in class. Obviously, it also highlights high-yield cases for Step 1.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

First Aid Cases for the USMLE Step 1, Third Edition (First Aid USMLE)
$46.00 $41.34