5.0 out of 5 stars Help Kids Understand
This collection contains all of the First Experiences books (Going to the Hospital, Going to the Doctor, Going to School, Going to the Dentist, The New Baby, Moving House, The New Puppy, Going on a Plane, Going to a Party). The volume is a smaller format than the individual books, but still large enough for proper reading.

Each of the tales tries to give a...
Published on June 24, 2005 by Joshua Koppel

3.0 out of 5 stars Well . . .
Published 20 months ago by Anna Robinson

5.0 out of 5 stars Help Kids Understand, June 24, 2005
Joshua Koppel (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: First Experiences (Usborne First Experiences) (Hardcover)

Each of the tales tries to give a well-rounded picture of what to expect from the experience. For instance, in the doctor visit the family has three kids who each need a different type of treatment. Each story starts out by introducing the family and each family is different in composition although none are single parent families. Each page tells an aspect of the experience with a more detailed description at the bottom. Each story also contains a small yellow rubber duck hiding somewhere (my favorite is where he is hiding during the metal detector section of going on a plane).

Obviously the families presented will not always mimic your own and many experiences will be different in some details, but they still offering an excellent way to get into the subject with your children and start a discussion. Each tale has a different expert consultant but they are all delightfully illustrated by Stephen Cartwright. Check it out.

3.0 out of 5 stars Well . . ., March 25, 2013
I got this book to help explain some of the 1st my son will be going through, mostly school and moving later this summer. How ever he was able to crack the binding withing minutes of being out the box. My 22 month old is pretty tough on stuff but I was surprised at how easily the book was looking 'used' within 5-10minutes of my toddler trying to read it. So I kind figure it is a big book for him, compared to the other books I have gotten him.

So far I really dislike the Monster party. It would be better if it was more realistic, like a regular dress up party with Doctors, Cowboys, etc. Not every family believes in Monsters.

Honestly I have only had this book one day and I am thinking I will take that story out, go to FedX Office and have them laminate the pages and bind it back real good and sturdy. However that might make this $10 book cost me $20-$25. At least it will last if I do that.

First Experiences (Usborne First Experiences)
First Experiences (Usborne First Experiences) by Anne Civardi (Hardcover - Jan. 2004)
Used & New from: $0.78