5.0 out of 5 stars Very, very good!
Published on April 24, 2006 by Gen

2.0 out of 5 stars Good overall, but where is the male and female anatomy?
Published 23 months ago by A. Kelley

5.0 out of 5 stars Very, very good!, April 24, 2006
This review is from: First Human Body Encyclopedia (Dk First Reference Series) (Hardcover)
This book is wonderful. I looked at a TON of human body books for my first grader. It seemed nearly impossible to find one for the 5-8 year old crowd that was factually thorough and had real photographs, but that wasn't too in-depth or too advanced in vocabulary. So many books for this age group are just plain simplistic and cartoony and don't do justice to the amazing machines our bodies are!

Since my dd is highly visual, the pictures are important to us and this book slam-dunks in that category (as usual for DK). Every major body system is covered, as well as a few things you might not think to teach a Kinder to 3rd grader, like allergies and non-verbal communication. My dd LOVED the section on the circulatory system and the real-life photos of the components of blood held her interest in a major way.

I highly recommend this for a classical homeschooling family (for first grade) or just for any parent with kids who want to know how their bodies work.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good overall, but where is the male and female anatomy?, January 3, 2013
A. Kelley (The Beautiful Pacific Northwest, USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this book for my daughter, who's almost 4, because she started to ask questions about how boys' and girls' bodies are different, and I wanted some simple anatomy illustrations to aid our discussion. I find it exceedingly odd that a book called First Human Body Encyclopedia never mentions the penis, not even within the context of the urinary tract. Four whole pages are devoted to the urinary system, but there's not a single description or diagram to help me explain why boys pee standing up and girls pee sitting down. There's also a section on reproduction, complete with talk of eggs, sperm, the uterus, and fallopian tubes, and even a female reproductive diagram to go with it, but no vagina. How is that even possible? Is it some sort of last-ditch effort to help mom and dad avoid questions about sex? They're such glaring and bizarre omissions that I can't give this book a high rating, even though it's well-written overall.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!, November 28, 2006
I ordered this item to give as a gift, taking a chance that it would be as good as was reviewed here. I was DELIGHTED! This is a wonderful book for ANY child ages 4 to 12, I'd guess. Actually, I'm 34 and found it fascinating. The text is interesting, font not too small, not too technical or wordy. The mix of photos and models is just right. They have lots of interesting facts throughout, also. Did you know your hair can grow for up to 7 years before falling out? The writer puts amounts in ways a child can understand. For instance, the amount of blood in a baby verses a 10 year old, verses an adult is shown in bottles of red liquid next to a photo of that age person. Stunning photos of developing fetuses, pictures of white blood cells "eating" germs, and much more make this a terrific buy! We need to order ourselves a copy now. I let my kids look at it with me before we mail it to their cousin. We spent a half hour entranced before I realized we better mail it, or it would look like a used book! Buy it. You may want to get two copies!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Book that made my Daughter want to become a Doctor., May 11, 2006
My 3+ year old daughter and I checked this out of the library. As soon as we did we had to look and read it numberous times during the day and before bed. She is down right passionate about it.

When I had to return it to the library she cried very hard so I bought her a copy for Valentine's day.

Since seeing and reading this wonderful book my daughter is determined to become a doctor. She wants to read as many body books as she possibily can so that's what I have been buying her. I've learned much about the body myself.

I think these DK books are wonderful for kids with all the photographs plus text. They are books that provide information in such a way that as they grow through the years they can learn more and more from the same book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!!!!, November 13, 2005
Georgia (Georgia USA) - See all my reviews
I have a very precocious 5 year old who has been reading full sentences since he turned 3 years old. It has been a challenge to keep up with his thirst for knowledge! This book is full of all sorts of interesting facts that even I didn't know (like the fact that a baby's bones contain lots of cartilage, while an adults contain very little), with pictures of x-rays, inside of the esophagus, diagrams of lymphatic system - very detailed.

We checked this book out from the library and now Santa will bring one because he has already looked at it for hours and hours . . . great purchase for those looking for a fun and educational book to share with their children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for young people!, April 3, 2010
Sherrie Johnson (Escanaba, MI United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased this book for my granddaughter's 5th birthday gift last month. What a nice book it is. As soon as she opened it she began looking through it....ignoring the other gifts! The pictures are great...and the descriptions of the body and all it's parts and functions are excellent. The age level recommended is 4 - 8, which is ideal. It intrigues children as young as 4, but I believe this book could appeal to children 11 or older. My granddaughter has been very interested in the human body for a few months now, and has several books related to it, but she's especially excited about this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very comprehensive, April 5, 2010
Gave this as a gift to the smartest niece in the world. She loves it. Would have given it 4 stars but a conservative Mom thinks the reproductive segment may be a bit premature. I think such is fine but be warned, there be ovaries in this book!

3.0 out of 5 stars Femur not Leg bone...kids can learn the real names!, August 23, 2014
B. Klotzek (Ashland, Ohio) - See all my reviews
I really love any book that helps us teach our girls topics that are normally too complicated for kids. My 6 year old daughter has said that she wants to become an ENT (Ear Nose Throat Doctor) since she was 3. So we try to find all sorts of things to help us nurture that interest. The only thing is that I have a real problem with treating kids like thumb suckers. They can learn proper terminology just as easily as lay terms. My 3 year old squeezed her finger and instead of calling it a boo boo I told her that it was a hematoma. I mean, why not!? She has apraxia (a speech disorder) and was able to say hematoma. A few days later when asked how the hematoma was she showed me her finger. So for this book to dumb itself down by using terms like "leg bone and arm bone" was disappointing. Why not learn the real names now when it is so much easier for them? I ended up getting a medical book for them to cross reference. This book could be so great if they would really believe in the abilities of little learners.

4.0 out of 5 stars Son loves it, June 23, 2013
My 4.5 year told me he wanted "a book that told him how everything in the body worked." Now that is a request that I don't think a parent should brush aside. Ask me for a giant hunk of plastic that will go to the back of the closet, it better be your birthday, but ask me for an educational book? Absolutely! So, reading the reviews, I picked out this one. It's been a huge hit and within 24 hours of having the book he was already spouting off facts to anyone who would listen. My one qualm is the missing male anatomy. My son is very intrigued by reproduction, and while he doesn't know 'everything' he does know about egg and sperm, just not about the act that brings them together. He was thrilled to see a uterus in this book, but there are no man parts to be found anywhere. He is a boy, he has these parts, and I wish they were represented.

4.0 out of 5 stars I even learned a lot!, July 24, 2008
Sylvie G. Henry (Columbia, MD USA) - See all my reviews
Great resource for young children! My 3-year-old is into skeletons, and the digestive process, so this book was good for his little curious mind. Obviously, some of the concepts are a little advanced, but he'll get there one day! I even learned a lot! Some of the pages in my book were a little off-print, but my fault for not exchanging it.

First Human Body Encyclopedia (Dk First Reference Series)
First Human Body Encyclopedia (Dk First Reference Series) by Penny Smith (Hardcover - February 21, 2005)
$16.99 $14.49