Customer Discussions > Collapse into Now forum

First Impressions

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 8, 2011 6:03:21 AM PST
I am not a troll...I've been a fan since someone handed me a Chronic Town tape in the early 80s.

First Impressions of this album: Unremarkable and Meandering. I wish Stipe would sing...I am growing weary of the "chant" style singing he has taken on.

This is FIRST IMPRESSION...will wait a while before I make a full review.

Posted on Mar 8, 2011 4:40:02 PM PST
I agree about Stipe's lyrics. There's not much originality anymore. He used to write about interesting characters and places (even if his lyrics were indecipherable) , but now lyrically everything sort of blends together and is homogenous. The songs as a whole are good but I don't see myself listening to the whole album straight through all that many times.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2011 2:49:05 AM PST
No...these songs are good when on Random Play generally or with an R.E.M. playlist but the album as a whole is not great.

Posted on Mar 13, 2011 7:50:37 AM PDT
theshape1 says:
I picked this album up for $9.99 at a local Best Buy, along with a vinyl copy of Abbey Road (which made someone's review comparing the two seem almost ironic!). I took them straight home to listen to. Once I started listening to this new REM, I thought, "Alright, good opening track..." But, each song would be better than the last! And by the end of the album, I wanted to hear it again immediately. That was thursday, this is sunday morning, and I bet I've listened to this album fifteen to twenty times already... Not consecutively, I've been mixing in other stuff, as always. But, I have been coming back to Collapse Into Now, which I think says something about the quality of this album! Of course, I've never listened to an REM album that left me thinking, "Wow, I'll never want to listen to this again..." Sure, some have been patchy and maybe even a little unfocused, but there's just something about the music REM makes and how they make it...

I guess what it comes down to for me with each new release from any band I enjoy, is "Do I enjoy this??" and "Am I being entertained?" Those are the questions that come into play when listening to anyone's new album. Not "Does this trump or surpass one of their earlier releases??" or "Are they breaking some brand new ground with this new music??"

Collapse Into Now : Another great REM release!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Collapse into Now forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Mar 8, 2011
Latest post:  Mar 13, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Collapse into Now
Collapse into Now by R.E.M. (Audio CD - 2011)
4.0 out of 5 stars   (143)