Published 2 months ago by L. M. L. Wilson

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay but not the bird's favorite feeder
We keep several feeders out each season. We ordered this feeder in August as a replacement. The birds used it but seem to prefer the older models. This may be because it was unfamiliar and the hummingbirds are set in their ways. Or not. They're not telling.
Seller was great. Prompt delivery and excellent packaging.
Published 6 months ago by Claudia Chapman

5.0 out of 5 stars ROUND 32 Oz FIRST NATURE: Has Ant Moat. Easiest to Fill, Easiest to Clean. Easiest to Assemble (with arthritic hands), February 12, 2014
This review is from: First Nature 3090 32-ounce Hummingbird Flower Feeder (Lawn & Patio)
Has a built-in ant moat. It doesn't leak.. No awkward spills when filling the wide mouth container. You don't need special size brushes to get out the insidious pink/grey/black fungus (that will kill/sicken Hummingbirds). No frustratingly slow pouring out of rinse water from a narrow neck bottle (e.g. most other feeders) to get it really clean. This is by far the BEST DESIGN Hummingbird feeder I have used.

I had the 48 oz Perky Pet feeders. I needed more feeders because of a big increase in the Hummingbirds in my garden. The newly purchased 48 oz Perky Pet feeders lasted only a couple months before leaking problems began. Then the older Perky Pet feeders also began leaking (after a particularly hot summer). I also had several 16 oz Perky Pet glass bottle feeders (they took forever to clean, rinse out thoroughly and then fill). I tried several other feeders from different manufacturers including some fancy ones with art/stain or crackled glass bottles. I threw those out when the feeding ports started turning a funny color (toxic?).. Those craftsy artsy feeders were also time-consuming to clean and fill.

I tossed all the other models of Hummingbird feeders out (about two dozen of them) after I bought a rectangular 32 oz FIRST NATURE Feeder (before I saw the round model). The rectangular model didn't have an ant moat and fell out of its top hanger piece (which I glued back on with gobs and gobs of glue.

Now I have a dozen of the round 32 Oz First Nature feeders. I take off the yellow flower shaped feeder port covers because they collect gunk underneath (yellow attracts hornets/wasps/bees); Hummingbirds are attracted by red...so I toss the yellow bits on this feeder because they appeal mostly to human and wasp/hornet/bee vision. The Hummingbirds flock to the color red.

When I go out to take in the empties, the birds hover around my head and follow me to my door. And they're waiting when I emerge with a full feeder and follow me to the big shrub where I hang the feeders. What a show!

NOTE: HOW TO THOROUGHLY CLEAN THIS FEEDER IN RECORD TIME. I looked for a long time for a bottle brush that was designed with bristles on the tip as well as the sides. The only bottle brush that met my requirements was the SUPERIOR BABY BOTTLE BRUSH (also available on Amazon.com).This is the perfect brush (I bought three) that will clean the entire insides of the hummingbird feeder without your having to struggle with another type brush to clean the hard to reach places.

SYRUP MIX RECIPE: 1 cup white, refined cane sugar + 2 cups boiled plain water. Do not use "organic" sugar....it contains metals/minerals that are toxic to the birds. Read the research. Flower nectars ratio of sugar to liquid ranges from ratios of 1 sugar to 1 liquid all the way to 1 sugar to 4 liquid, depending on the plant species and the weather and the soil.

What researchers have found is that the Hummingbirds prefer the more concentrated mix...1:1 or 1:2. The birds get enough calories at one feeding with the more concentrated mix. This allows the birds to spend more time foraging for their other foods (insects). There is absolutely nothing in the scientific articles that says the birds find it hard to digest a more concentrated syrup mix.

Also, NEVER give your birds READY MIXED RED DYED SYRUP. It's expensive, and the dye makes them sick (it's food grade for humans....hummingbirds are not humans and are a lot more sensitive).

Another reason I'm sticking with my 1 cup sugar to 2 cups water mix. Last year, the baby hummingbirds looks a lot fatter and bigger than the year before. I think it's because the parent birds didn't have to expend so much energy getting enough calories to get insect foods and tend to the nestlings. Fatter bigger nestlings = healthier, stronger birds that can withstand the rigors of an increasingly difficult migratory route.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent hummingbird feeder!!!!, June 29, 2013
Ive had mine only a couple of weeks but well worth the investment. I have my share of hummers and nice migration thru here come august in which I might have 25-50 hummers depending the situation. I bought this feeder mainly for the flowers as they have tiny holes for the ports which can help dissuade bees and wasps, but a nice wide opening of cleaning. I started out only putting 16oz in the 32oz container but it has gotten to the point that they use it up in less than 2days and I mean bone dry. So I have moved up to filling them to see how fast the liquid goes. I just add sugar water 1-3 ratio no red coloring as its not needed at all and could harm the hummers and its not worth it. I rarely give 5 Stars to a ratings but this one deserves it. But if you only have one or two hummers buying this product is not going to bring them in. You need to develop a good habitat for them a lot of the right kinds of plants along with good places to perch and guard their domain.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Hummer Feeder I've ever owned, August 22, 2013
Over the years I've had a dozen different Hummingbird feeders. This is by far the best I've owned. Its wide mouth makes it easy to clean and to fill. Don't need a funnel. I have had a problem with yellow jackets using my other feeders and driving Hummingbirds away. This feeders design keeps the nectar in a center well accessible through the feeding holes but not along any side seams. Side seams on other types of feeders are where yellow jackets tend to feed.
I did remove the yellow flowers on the base. They are not held on well and just provide a place for mold to grow. I liked it so well I bought 3 more. Best of all the Hummers love it too.
Update 1/16/2014 - These say they are not dishwasher safe. They are not kidding. The clear plastic shrinks to the point the top falls off and the container for the liquid will not screw into the base. You can glue the top back onto the reservoir but the reservoir shrank so much the threads no longer touch the female threads on the base.

5.0 out of 5 stars Large capacity and easy to clean, September 3, 2013
I purchased 2 of these for my folks. The hummingbirds were draining their 2 16 oz feeders in half a day. These larger capacity feeders reduced trips to replenish the feeder and allowed more birds to feed at once (after the initial skirmishes among birds!). Easy to clean is another bonus.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect feeder, August 20, 2013
Got this feeder to match another we had purchased last year. This particular model is very hard to fine, but this feeder has all the aspects we like: large plastic reservoir, plenty of flowerettes and a perch, an ant trap, and easy to fill and clean.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, July 24, 2013
I have over 100 hummingbirds at our place in the Rocky Mountains. This feeder packs the nectar and allows a lot of hummers to feed at once. It's plastic, but easy to clean. Will buy again...

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Feeder, July 19, 2013
We needed a large feeder for our vacations away from home. We have so many Hummers that they empty the smaller feeders in a day. It is excellent. Interestingly, the ten feeder holes encourages more Hummers at the same time. Never had 10 feeding at the same time, but have had seven. It is easy to disassemble and clean. Our only surprise is that the tank is plastic. In the pictures it looks like glass. But it is still a great feeder.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hummingbird feeder, January 16, 2014
Have lots of hummingbirds so I bought the product it is everything that is advertised, what I like most is the upper part that you can fill with water to keep ants from crossing to the feeder going to buy another one.

5.0 out of 5 stars good feeder, December 30, 2013
we previously bought some of these at Walmart, but were unable to find more. This is a large feeder, but when the hummers descend it is great to have several large feeders. The little hungry birds keep us hopping to keep them filled with sugar water!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love these feeders, December 22, 2013
Love these hummer feeders... they are easy to clean, easy to fill, easy to hang and the hummers love them

ARRAY(0xa08c5f54)