Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on June 15, 2000
I borrowed this book from the library and used it so extensively for three weeks that I decided to buy my own copy. The book contains information on tools and techniques with instructions and lessons for both beginners and more accomplished artists. I feel it is a good reference that I will go back to again and again.
on June 4, 2000
Having picked up a drawing pen after many long years (actually my last drawing instrument was a made by Crayola!) I found this book to be very helpful in learning the basics, fiding materials, and simply getting started. I have found it worth every cent I paid for it.
on January 20, 2006
As a non-artist who's trying to learn to be an artist, this book really helped me find a medium that worked for me, and no other book has inspired me to get to work learning to draw.

You'll need some experience sketching with pencil to make most of the drawings work, but the great pen-and-ink art in this book has inspired me to get better drawing with pencil.

Note that online auction sites usually have great deals on sets of Rapidograph pens. Don't pay full price!
on December 16, 2012
I am new to pen and ink with a background in illustration as a pastime. I have purchased other claudia nice books and this is probably her best book for beginners in pen and ink. Unlike Guptill's book on pen and ink, this book offers less written instructions and more examples of pen and ink artwork, with short comments and instructions. For example, I like Claudia's comments on a basic stroke technique, crosshatching, she suggests are are great for "adding roughened texture, deepening shadows", along with an illustration of how crosshatching is used to that effect. That said, for a First Steps, I would have liked it if she had shown additional steps, instead of the 2-4 which goes from: sketch, to detailed sketch, to completed ink and pen work (beautiful as it is). I would have liked more steps between detailed sketch and completed ink and pen, how did she build up tone and highlights, etc.? BTW, you will find the same illustrations and instructions repeat in her other books. I would still recommend this book and would also suggest if you can't afford the entire wonderful set of Rapidograph pen, you can start with the .25 which is the one I use most often (for smaller size artwork). I wish there was a comprehensive pen and ink book out there. Hope this helps.
VINE VOICEon April 16, 2010
for overall pen and ink learning from beginning to mastery. I've been drawing a lot lately, using various instruction books, and this is the best general pen and ink art book I've found. It is a substantial, well-written book and worth the price.

I like pen-and-ink because of the look of the definite lines, and interesting textures that can be achieved, and the wonderful way it combines with color washes (this topic is covered in other books). I also like drawing with ink because it avoids the draw, erase-redo, repeat habits that I was getting, and forces one to think and look carefully before starting to draw. Claudia Nice demonstrates seven basic pen strokes and then expands on them, and gives some projects utilizing these strokes, and, eventually, demonstrates several very detailed finished compositions, using a variety of subjects. She does a great job teaching how to make textures using the seven stroking techniques--crosshatch, stippling, wavy lines, etc.

By way of introduction to this medium she discusses materials needed, including the "technical pen". I am currently drawing with Pitt artist pens in three widths, but am looking forward to getting a some of technical pens--most likely a set of seven Rapidograph ones, which you can get here on Amazon--for even better results.

With this book in hand, as well as pens and paper, one can learn a lot and have success. Also, I would like to suggest a couple of other books to round out the experience, if you wish. For a more thorough background and understanding, "Drawing for the Absolute and Utter Beginner" is best. The author, Clair Watson Garcia, is a great teacher for someone starting out, or going back--she spends a lot of time teaching you how to "see as an artist" and do line drawings in ink of things around you, rather than copying everything from a book, and before going into values, techniques, etc. Lastly, I have ordered "Keys to Drawing with Imagination..." by Bert Dodson, after looking through it in a bookstore. He does a lot with pen-and-ink, too, and I'm looking at this book as a way to expand my originality after learning techniques and practicing examples in books.

Happy Drawing!
on September 30, 2005
I wish I had had this book years ago. It would have saved me lots of mistakes and given me the courage to pursue my passion sooner.
on February 21, 2013
I have LOTs of books on drawing and bought this one simply because a pen&ink class I'm taking uses it. I have bought a copy for my granddaughter because it is an excellent introduction to pen&ink techniques. It isn't intimidating. It isn't so basic it's insulting. It covers most aspects of pen&ink simply and progressively. If you alreading have an artist's eye, this may be a bit simple but for most beginner and intermediate artists, this is a great book!
on April 25, 2009
This book is incredible. I started copying the pictures using the tips offered in the book and my pictures came out looking almost as good as theirs. It is a great book for beginners.
on January 30, 2014
Claudia Nice has illustrated a nice tutorial in her book, Drawing in Pen and Ink. She has included illustrations in techniques for rendering various woods, stone, brick and anything with textures in pen and Ink for the beginner. . She includes a nice section on how to render animals, and also perspective in properly drawing buildings. This is an excellent reference to use if you are teaching this art form.
If one is interested in learning pen and ink rendering, this would be the book for you.
on July 15, 2014
Fantastic book! I am an art teacher and this book is fabulous as a reference and at teaching the value of line quality and importance of using lines expressively and to create different textures. I really enjoy all of Claudia Nice's books as a teacher and an artist. So glad I found these.