From the Back Cover
The must-have reference for every technical writer, editor, and documentation managernow fully updated!
Read Me First! is the definitive guide to creating technical documentation that is clear, consistent, and easy to understand. Sun Microsystems' award-winning technical writers and editors cover everything from grammar to clarity, illustrations to workflow. This fully revised second edition reflects dramatic changes in the production and delivery of technical documentation. Coverage includes:
- Detailed grammar, punctuation, typographic, and legal guidelines
- Extensive guidance on creating effective step-by-step procedures
- Techniques for documenting Web applications and graphical user interfaces
- Expert help with creating indexes and glossaries
- Extensive recommendations for using hyperlinks
- Checklists and forms for editing, tracking manuscripts, and verifying production status
- Guidelines for using commonly confused words and terms
- Practical tips for gender-neutral writing
- Internationalization guidelines that simplify translation and improve clarity for non-native English speakers
- Real-world help for managers: hiring writers, working with illustrators, managing schedules and workflow, coordinating with printers, and more
- Expanded and updated recommended reading list
About the Author
The Members of Sun Technical Publications are award-winning senior editors and writers for Sun Microsystems, Inc.