1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect capture of American Roots Music in Los Angeles, December 13, 2006
This review is from: First Tuesdays at Ronnie Mack's Barn Dance (DVD)
I come from a hard rock-heavy metal background, so when I first heard about Ronnie Mack's Barn Dance, I wasn't sure what I was gonna see - but let me tell you, it's as real and honest and authentic of music as you will see anywhere, performed live before adoring fans by both big names and small in the roots music movement.

The documentary includes a variety of performances from people like Dave Alvin, Rosie Flores, Mike Stinson, Big Sandy and his Fly-Rite Boys, Duane Jarvis, and many more. The production is professionally shot and edited and features terrific sound - in a way, it's a kind of "Last Waltz" for the Bakersfield Set.

I learned more about roots music by watching this (and attending a few Barn Dances) than I ever would by listening to crappy contemporary country radio. If you think you like country but are looking for more substance in your music, I strongly recommend this DVD - you'll discover music that you love, that you probably never heard.

First Tuesdays at Ronnie Mack's Barn Dance
First Tuesdays at Ronnie Mack's Barn Dance by Jim Hollander (DVD - 2006)
$15.99 $14.39