Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

on November 17, 2006
Since I was so happy about the Hands-on Learning ABC cards, I purchased the entire line of cards (except for opposites!) I was very excited about this set, as my 13 month old son is beginning to say basic first words. However, I do not recommend this set of cards for younger children, like my son. The description is misleading. There are only 5 large touch and feel cards of a dog, cat, girl, boy, mat, cup, car, mitt, frog and hat. Then, there are several small cards (that are NOT touch and feel cards) of other first words. The small cards are also bendable, so they are not made for smaller children! The object of this set of cards is to put the large cards together with the smaller cards to create sentences. Thus, if you are the parent of a young baby and whose goal is to just introduce first words, this is not the set to purchase. Maybe the DK Publishing touch and feel first words card set is better. I just purchased that set, so I'm crossing my fingers! However, if you have an older child, maybe the recommended age of these cards are correct (2-5 years old). I must interject, nonetheless, that all the other hands-on learning sets have the same age recommendation, and my son enjoys them all. The ABCs and Baby Animals are his favorites, though! (The colors & shapes and counting are a bit more advanced, but he still enjoys them).
11 comment10 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 13, 2007
The Scholastic Hands on Learning series is great for tactile learners. My toddler was evaluated as either on target or ahead on everything except verbal - he did not want to talk. His hearing was fine and there's no history of ear infections so hearing interference was ruled out as a factor. So, he began regular visits with a state intervention program to help him develop communication skills and everything we tried did not work. My mom bought him two boxes of flash cards from this series for Christmas. At first, he showed little interest. However, I kept trying. And it wasn't long before he started showing interest in the cards - particularly the ones he recognized as objects he encountered on a regular basis (ball, wagon, cat, dog, boy, orange, girl, etc.)

The cards are made so that the pictures are inlaid with various textures that go along with the product being pictured. My son is a tactile learner - so when he could pick up the card, feel of it, and hear us repeat to him what the picture represented, he soon began naming the picture card himself. Once that started, he has now moved on to real, 3 dimensional around-the-house products - either pointing them out or bringing them to me or other family members to inquire what they are - and only after a couple of times of naming the object, he will add the word to his vocabulary.

I highly recommend this product as well as the other products in this series (as you can imagine, we have all of them now). They helped us open up a whole new world for my toddler.
on October 5, 2007
My mother gave these to our 14 month old for Christmas this past year, and she loves them. Per the instructions on the box, we started with the 5 large double-sided touch and learn cards and slowly progressed to the remaining smaller cards. This continues to be one of my daughters favorite activities. She loves to take these out of the box and tell me what the pictures are all about! We will be purchasing the remaining Hands-On Learning card sets for her birthday and Christmas this year.
on June 10, 2009
Like the other reviewers, I was disappointed that there are only a handful of large touch and feel cards in this pack.

We bought the ABC hands on learning cards and loved the size, shape and texture. Our baby loved playing and touching the different textures.

This set may be better for older kids, but if you're looking for a set for toddlers, try the ABC cards and hold off on these.

We plan to try some of the DK publishing touch and feel cards to see if they hold more interest.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse