5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, get the brake
Published 11 months ago by Libri Mundi

3.0 out of 5 stars I want to love this bike, but...
We bought this for my 2.5 year old son after researching a ton of other balance bikes. There's a lot to like about this bike...it fits taller children, for one. But yesterday a screw popped out while my son was riding it! Plus the seat lowering and raising thing doesn't always work. It comes loose and the seat will just go back down once he gets on it.
Published 2 months ago by S. Lubbes

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, get the brake, January 24, 2014
This review is from: FirstBIKE Street Bike with Brake, Green (Toy)
I bought this bike for my daughter's second birthday. Even with the lowering kit, she still can't ride it alone at 25 months since she is shorter than most kids of her age. She loves sitting on it with our help. This thing is smooth and lightweight - beautiful piece of German engineering. The tires spin easily and you can't compare this to a cheapo heavy clunker. I don't want my little one to go through the frustration of not being able to move it since hopefully she will be using this for several years.

I bought this bike elsewhere online (for less and no tax) and got some professional advice before purchasing. I had planned on getting a bike without the handbrake because I thought it would be too difficult to squeeze for a toddler and they could always brake with their feet. The bike shop owner said the advantage of the brake is that even though kids should really be wearing shoes that cover their toes, they don't always and it is very painful when they try to brake without them especially when going down a hill or so. So I bought the bike with the brake which is only 10 bucks extra. That brake is well worth it. It is a disk brake which responds very well to just a super light squeeze. The disk brake also means that you can't just buy a bike without the hand brake and then order one later since it is an integral part of the bike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything it promised to be, August 12, 2013
This review is from: FirstBIKE Street Bike with Brake, Green (Toy)
It was easy to put together, says the assembly-challenged parent.
My boy loves the look, he says it's a big boy bike and now we have to go on the beach trail.
It feels really safe, and when he falls (not to many times), the bike is light enough that he doesn't get hurt or trapped by it.
I like the idea of a hand brake, but we haven't used it much at all.
Well worth the extra money.

3.0 out of 5 stars I want to love this bike, but..., October 26, 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars Too intimidating for a cautious kid, October 9, 2014
This review is from: FirstBIKE Street Bike with Brake, Green (Toy)
My son loves to be outside. The neighbor kids all play together and many of them ride bikes, scooters & anything else with wheels. We knew some friends who had awesome experiences with balance bikes so we thought we'd give one a try. We picked this bike because it has tires that inflate, which was a main differentiator from it's competitors. We gave it to our son for his 2nd birthday and a year later he's been on it a total of maybe 30 minutes. Initially it was too tall for him, even with the lower adapter but now he's plenty tall enough, he just doesn't find it enjoyable. If I were to pinpoint why he doesn't use it more it'd be because it's really difficult to get on and off (he has to lift his leg up and over the tall back seat) and because he has to balance the bike while doing it, it's intimidating & a bit scary. He gets on the bike with our help, takes a few steps but then gets bored and wants off. After that, he's done. I would assume getting off the bike is the same with all balance bikes, but FirstBIKE is all we have experience with. Our second child (too young for the bike) is much more reckless, maybe it's better suited for that type of child instead of a more cautious firstborn.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect!, April 18, 2014
This review is from: FirstBIKE Street Bike with Brake, Green (Toy)
The best out there! It would be perfect if it has a kick stand.Except that, it is perfect. I'm so happy with my purchase after a lot of research for weeks. My 3 year old boy just loves it. It is light enough for little ones to have fun and it has all the safety features that a first timer needs. Would recommend it to anyone. To compare it with other balance bikes, just go to " [...]"

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Balance Bike, August 13, 2013
This review is from: FirstBIKE Street Bike with Brake, Green (Toy)
I took a lot of time researching the growing number of options of balance bikes before settling on this bike for my three-year-old son. So far, I think I made the right choice. It was easy to assemble, has a great design and quality construction. My son was cruising around in no time and chooses his tricycle less and less as he grows more comfortable on this bike. I think he will be able to make the transition to a "real bike" fairly easily. It's nothing more than personal preference with no real basis, but I like the fact that this bike has inflatable tires and a hand brake.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best "toy" purchase yet!, August 19, 2014
This review is from: FirstBIKE Street Bike with Brake, Green (Toy)
I bought these bikes for my twin boys' 3rd birthday. Ever since I heard about balance bikes, I was sold on the concept. Having a late-July birthday, I wasn't sure if they would be able to figure it out before winter, but also didn't want to wait until the following year, so I took the plunge. I could not be happier with my decision and was SHOCKED at how quickly they picked it up! The boys started walking with them and literally within a few days were running and in less than a month, they run to gain speed and kick their legs out to the sides, able to balance. My boys are short for their age (36 inches) and we did purchase the lowering kit. They aren't strong enough/have a big enough hand to use the handbrake yet, but when they get older, it will probably be a nice feature. At 29 lbs, they can easily manipulate the bike because it is very lightweight. I studied the website http://www.twowheelingtots.com/ which has a plethora of information. I was hoping to spend less, and looked at several other bikes, particularly Strider's, but kept coming back to this bike because it seemed to be the most bang for your buck. This bike is well made machine and seems nicer than my bike!! They can motor up steep hills fairly effortlessly. The tires are real tires and do amazing even in the grass (sometimes my boys will steer into the grass if they are going to fast or want to avoid a collision and they learned to balance going down a small hill in the grass). We have bought many toys over the last 3 years and I can say that this is by far their favorite. It is quality product and anticipate getting lots of use out of it. I am thrilled they know how to balance at 3 years old and anticipate they will learn a bike with pedals much more easily.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top-notch quality, April 2, 2014
This review is from: FirstBIKE Street Bike with Brake, Green (Toy)
We bought this for our 2-year old. It currently gets more use by our 4 year old, but I can vouch for the bike's overall quality. It's very well made. The design is quite nice. Both kids enjoy it as much as we could of hoped for. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this: one year later, GET ONE!, September 22, 2014
This review is from: FirstBIKE Street Bike with Brake, Green (Toy)
I am an avid cyclist and a quality-obsessed parent who wants to make sure that my son has an excellent experience with cycling. After countless hours of research, I settled on FirstBike as my choice for a balance bike for my smaller-than-average almost-four-year old. 13 months later, I can tell you that there is no better choice... the FirstBike is phenomenal in every aspect. The combination of proper geometry for little bodies, light weight, rugged durability and flawless performance make for a perfect first experience. This isn't just a toy that kids play with... it's a platform for really learning how to ride correctly. The proof of this is actually what happens when your child is ready for a bike with pedals... our transition took 15 minutes, no training wheels, no wipeouts. My son's joy and pride of accomplishment is the stuff you dream of, and I owe it to the time (and money) well spent on his FirstBike. Also, it's still in perfect condition and could easily be re-sold at a good price. Some people debate whether a hand brake is a good idea for a balance bike. I wasn't sure myself, but now I recommend it highly. Kids can get going too fast to safely stop quickly by just putting their feet down, and the brake teaches valuable skills that become second nature for future riding. The less they have to think about when they graduate to the next bike, the better. So grateful this product was on the market when my son was at this age.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Bike, May 3, 2014
This review is from: FirstBIKE Street Bike with Brake, Green (Toy)
Good bike, but it should have come standard with the adjustment bracket to lower it for smaller kids. I'm sure it only would have been an extra couple bucks.

FirstBIKE Street Bike with Brake, Green