Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now DOTD

Style Name: Lowering KitChange

on November 26, 2013
The lowering kit lowers the bike by 2 inches I think. My 2 year old who is a little smaller than average (25% for her age group) got the Firstbike with the lowering kit for her birthday. Her feet can still not properly touch the ground, so I think it takes another 2 months before she can use it. Like the bike, the kit is made of good materials without any sharp edges. The kit comes with some fairly poor instructions with pics that are too dark to see and also actual errors in the description. For example, it says to leave the disc brake to the frame when taking the rear wheel off. The disc brake is attached to the wheel and should stay there. It should have taken 10 minutes to put together but was all messed up due to me not being able to decipher the instructions and my husband putting it all together based on his 'engineering' background. Yes, it is possible to put the lowering kit on in several different ways that are not going to work. There is a very good video on the Firstbike website that shows how to correctly put it on. BTW, when I accidentally swapped the almost identical looking nut from the lowering kit with the rear wheel pin nut, the wheel did not run that smoothly. Even though there are very few parts, follow the right instructions.

BTW, the current price on Amazon is $30. I paid less than half of that with the purchase of the bike at an independent small shop. Bike price was also lower, free shipping, great advice and no tax to boot. Don't know why Amazon sells it at such an inflated price.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon February 11, 2014
We liked this until one of the brackets snapped in half after the first week of daily use! We took it off since my son can ride without, but still. Makes me wonder if the bike itself is made all that well.

Original Review:
I purchased this kit for my son's FirstBIKE Cross and installed it in 5 minutes with the help of the YouTube video. My son is 19 months old, is 34 inches tall, and is wearing 18-24 months and 2T clothing, and this kit makes it so he can just sit on the bike. He is really still a little too small for it, but in a few months his feet should be flat on the ground, as they should be.

The instructions make the installation seem more complicated than it is, so watching the video is worthwhile. A word of warning though, in case any of you come to the end of the installation wondering as I did where the highest notch is on the bike frame to reconnect things: It's under the sticker! I looked at my son's bike and said to myself "There is only one notch, and it's the highest one." Then I realized that the guy in the video is showing the bike without the sticker to cover the lower notch, and that it is there. I was thinking there for a minute that my model was missing something.

I'm glad that this minor adjustment can be made to the bike so that my son can use it longer. With any luck we should be able to get at least 3 summers of use out of it before we get him a 16" pedal bike.
on February 14, 2014
The lowering kit does give the additional inches but my tall son at 35 inches (18 months) wasn't quite tall enough for the bike.
on October 15, 2015
It did lower the FirstBike, but not enough for my 2yr old. He is in the 45% for his height, yet he cannot sit on this bike with flat feet. Be sure to measure your kids before buying this bike or the lowering kit. Quality is in line with what the bike is made of. I am a bit worried about the kit coming loose as it did not come with lock washers like the bike did. It simply had a dot of lock-tite on the bolt instead. Time will tell if it holds up. It was pretty easy to put on. It does not come with a tool, so I hope you saved the one that came with your bike, or have the right size of allen wrench already.
on March 13, 2015
My son is 31lbs. When lowered, if he puts his full weight towards the back of the seat it causes the bolt for the saddle to rub the rear tire. Not enought to stop the bike but enough to make a noise. Haven't had enough time riding to see if it effects wear of tire.
review image
on November 19, 2014
The lowering kit lowered the seat from about 14 inches down to 12.

My daughter is 23 months old and is about 31 inches tall. With the lowering kit the tips of her toes touch the ground. She's not tall enough yet for her whole foot to be flat on the ground while seated. She's on the small side for a 2 year old, but I would guess most 2 year olds will require the lowering kit to be installed in order to be able to use the bike.

I have no issues with the product itself. It does what it is advertised to do and the quality seems to be in line with the bike itself, which is good.

As other reviews have pointed out, the instructions are not great. Specifically, it is difficult to figure out how to align and attach the left and right brackets. It is also not obvious that the brake has a specific circular insert when reattaching the frame. The good news however, is that their video on their website (or YouTube) is very good and makes the installation easy. In other words, DON'T READ THE INSTRUCTIONS, WATCH THE VIDEO INSTEAD!

My other gripe is that there isn't an option to buy the bike and lowering kit together as a combo. It would be great if instead of paying $12 for a lowering kit, that you could buy the bike plus the lowering kit at some slightly discounted rate (for example $8 above the regular bike price). It would be even better if the lowering kit came installed as part of the combo.

My package did not include the allen wrench and instead came with two unnecessary (I hope) washers. This wasn't really a big problem for me since I had the right size wrench in my toolbox but could have been a big problem. I'm optimistic though that this was just a problem with my order and not a common occurrence, but I thought I'd mention it in case someone else has the same packaging problem.
on January 21, 2015
We purchased the FirstBike as a Christmas gift for one of our little ones. I went back and forth on whether or not to get the lowering kit. Our toddler was 2.5 when we got the bike for him, and slightly above average height for his age. I tried to get an idea of the seat height with and without the kit, but online materials weren't totally clear to me. I somewhat begrudgingly ordered the kit, and I'm glad I did. With it our little one was able to hop right on the bike come Christmas morning, and it was just the right height; phew!

I thought the instructions were straight forward enough. It seems sturdy enough to withstand install, remove, re-install, and so on as we potentially pass the bike down to younger siblings. Totally worth the few extra dollars to have the sizing options at your fingertips.

I would definitely recommend this lowering kit!
on August 14, 2015
Super easy to install. Google, Firstbike lowering kit and the first video from Firstbike will be the install video. For those a bit more advance, I recommend getting a helper, or better yet, turning the bike upside down to install. Either way, it is very easy to do.

At the moment, I am sharing this bike with a 4 year old (who does not want to give it up, he loves it that much) and a 20 month old. With this kit on, both can still ride the bike. His seat only has to go up half of the way. Very impressed with this bike and the lowering kit.

It is made of the same fiberglass material that makes up for the bike.

I do have to question why I received two washers and no #6 allen like the instructions noted, but I had one laying around so no worries. Just a bit of a QA issue and wasted company funds (I am a project manager).
review image review image review image review image
on August 29, 2013
Got an inch or more for my 12 months old daughter. Should have come with a bike for the price of $170.
on September 17, 2015
My son was just at the edge of the inseam rating for the FirstBIKE, but when he got on the bike it was clear that he was too small. We should have started with this lowering kit from the start rather than ordering it after he sat on the bike.
The kit itself doesn't look like much, but it does exactly what it is supposed to, drop the seat height just enough for shorter children. I am pleased with the stability of the lowered bike and apparent strength of the kit itself. While the installation was pretty easy, the instructions could use some work-- or at least some real pictures to more easily distinguish the components / orientations.

Overall, if your child is on the lower end of the FirstBIKE inseam height, definitely save some time and buy the lowering kit at the same time.