4.0 out of 5 stars Fisch Bench Top Mortiser

2.0 out of 5 stars Less than expected
Published on February 27, 2001

4.0 out of 5 stars Fisch Bench Top Mortiser, December 13, 2000
Ronnie L Warman (Topeka, KS United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fisch BTM99-44252 3/4 Horsepower Bench Mortiser (Tools & Home Improvement)
I have used a drill press type mortiser for years. I am getting calls for Mission style furniture and the hastle of putting all the pieces of the mortiser on the drill press made me want a dedicated moritser. I have tried two of the top name mortisers and did not like either one so I returned them, eating the return postage. I now own a Fisch mortiser and it is almost a pleasure to use. The hard part of using a mortiser is not drilling the hole, it is pulling the chisel out of the hole. This machine has a spring to help here. It also means the handle returns to the top of the stroke each time but I made a little block to fit in the space between the twin colums to limit the return position closer to the work. The machine also has an adjustable fence. Because of the length of the chisel bit combination the mortiser is limited to a depth of under 4 inches. If you need to make a through mortise on a large piece you can adjust the fence so you drill 1/2 way, then turn the work over and drill the rest of the way on the other side. This machine is a keeper for me. Don't let the made in China fool you this is one quality machine.

2.0 out of 5 stars Less than expected, February 27, 2001
By A Customer
I had purchased and returned the Delta mortiser, finding much the same problems described in reviews I susequent read. After reading a review on the Fisch mortiser I ordered one and unfortunetely was again dis-satisfied with the results. I am building mission style furniture out of white oak and the mortiser's motor was just not up to the task. It stalled quite often, something that happened infrequently with the Delta. With the Delta all I had to do was raise the mortiser, freeing up the jam and then continue to mortise. With the Fisch pieces of wood lodged between the bit and the chisel necessitating re-adjustment of the chisel to free the clog. This happened no matter how I adjusted the gap between the bit and the chisel. I also found the mico-adjustment less than optimal. I expected a screw type adjustment, not one that depended on a spring. And finally, I found the spring return more difficult to use than those on the Delta or Jet. I returned the Fisch and purchased a Jet, which I find to be an excellent machine. I have made numerous mortises with it and find it consistantly accurate and easy to adjust and use.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it, August 26, 2001
I bought the Fisch because of the micro-adjustable fence, spring return, and two-post design. I was not satisfied with the tool. Deficiencies: 1. The depth stop slips. I can't tell you how many times I accidentally converted 1 1/4" mortises into 1 3/4" through mortises... Major hassle. 2. The "indexable" knob that controls the depth stop stripped almost immediately--had to resort to vise grips. 3. After about 400 mortises, the machine stalled very frequently--even in very soft wood (western red cedar). Yes, the chisel and bit were sharp and adjusted properly. 4. The chuck cover is made of plastic. This may not matter--because of the frequent stalls, you'll need frequent access to the chuck. Just remove the cheap plastic cover, because it'll break pretty quickly... 5. The micro-adjustable fence is more trouble than you'd expect. The spring makes it difficult to adjust, and the screw isn't long enough to give you the full range of motion I needed. 6. Like all the small mortisers, the hold-down is inadequate. I returned the Fisch and bought the Jet. Now I'm relatively happy. Jeff

3.0 out of 5 stars Not great., November 6, 2001
By A Customer
I've had this mortiser for about a year. It doesn't include any chisel/bit sets, so that was a substantial additional outlay. I have three gripes about this tool.
First, the depth stop is difficult to adjust. There is no depth gauge, and using a tape measure is very difficult. That's because there's a plate on the bottom of the motor assembly that contacts the depth stop, but that plate doesn't extend to the edge of the motor assembly and you can't get a tape measure in to where that plate is. You're pretty much reduced to trial and error with a piece of scrap wood. Very frustrating.
Second, the depth stop is made of plastic. It needs to be very tight in order to keep from slipping, but one of the plastic seams that the threads of the "tightener" go into ended up splitting.
Third, the posts aren't mounted very securely to the base. I wound up having to dismount the mortiser from my workbench in order to retighten them.
I have run into some clogging (and subsequent stalling) and burning, but I can't blame the mortiser for those.
It does the job, just not as easily as I'd like, nor is it as well made as I'd expect....

5.0 out of 5 stars Fisch benchtop mortiser, February 22, 2001
Philip Maddox (Forest Hill, MD United States) - See all my reviews
I had a good bit of experience with the Delta mortiser (on loan from a friend), when it came time to buy my own, I researched long and hard to find the best. I succeeded!! the Fish has none of the problems the Delta has (sloppy plunge, bad hold down, weak fence) and works like a charm.
Don't be fooled by the fact that this machine looks a lot like the other machines, it is head and shoulders above the rest.
P.S. Shop Fox (marketed by Grizzly) has a faster spinning motor - a definite DISADVANTAGE - major burning problems
Phil

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the Best, May 27, 2004
R. Hunter (W. Alex. PA USA) - See all my reviews
I recently read two magazine articles about the Fisch bench top mortiser. Both articles gave Fisch high marks. I was suprised to see reviews on Amazons website that told a different story. I also noticed that these review were very old. Fisch has a great reputation so I ordered the 3/4 HP mortiser and was not dissapointed. I have tried the Delta and Jet. There is absolutely no comparison. Fisch has a much better machine. The Fisch mortiser is a strong reliable tool that I will be happy with for many years to come.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the greatest, March 19, 2006
I bought this partly due to a positive review on Amazon and also due to various magazine reviews that seemed positive (including one on the Fisch web site). The quality of the machine overall isnt much better than the one you can buy from Harbor Freight. The fence is loose no matter how much you tighten the stop. The fence fine adjustment feature is hard to use since the knob is on the back of the machine. The stock hold down yoke is not very useful.

The machine has some minor damage (one of the brass riser adjustment screws is bent) due to shipping. I have only used it for some test runs and one of the plastic chuck access doors is already broken. Overall quality is not impressive.

If you are in the market - get the newer Delta model. It has a much larger base and better chuck access with a steel wrap around door. It also has a better fence adjust that is accessible from the side. Its much more substantial and in the same price range.

One thing I do like better on the Fisch is the spring return. It is easier to retract the bit on the Fisch.

I only chose to keep it because I got it at a substantial discount. If I had paid full price - I would have sent it back for sure...

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Surprised, April 19, 2007
Just received my Fisch Bench Top Mortiser and found the product to exceed my expectations. I had borrowed a Delta bench top but find this one is sturdier and easier to handle. I have not had a problem with the spring loaded fence or work hold down. Both seem to be working great. I did have a broken plastic chuck cover and the company is shipping a new one out immediately. Customer service appears to be top notch.

Rate and Discover Movies