4.0 out of 5 stars Durable, Reliable, Sleek.
First off, this is a great-looking pen. In a very low-profile kind of way. The casing is made of hard black metal that I have yet to dent or scratch. It's not chrome-plated or flashy--- which is one of the chief reasons I bought it. Secondly, I've heard nothing but good about the Fischer Space Pens, and am satisfied with the performance of the ink thus far...
Published on March 5, 2011 by SMG

2.0 out of 5 stars INK CARTRIDGES LEAK
Published on July 30, 2010 by L. Rottner

4.0 out of 5 stars Durable, Reliable, Sleek., March 5, 2011
This review is from: Fisher Space NonReflective Military Cap-O-Matic Space Pen, Matte Black (SM4B) (Office Product)

The Cap-O-Matic feature makes it extremely easy to operate the pen, even with one hand.

I read the reviews before deciding to buy, and would like to address one of the consistent complaints against this pen's quality. Users reported on several occasions that the ball-point made clicking noises while writing. After a few days of use, I came upon the same problem, and found two ways to stop the clicking:

1.) First off, making sure the two pieces of exterior casing were screwed together tightly made an immediate improvement. It had come loose while I had been writing and causing a fair bit of knocking.

2.) Second, because there are no gaskets inside the pen, there is nothing to prevent the cartridge and the inside of the casing from rubbing off on one another. This inevitably leads to wear ( especially if you press hard like me ), and the consequent 'clicking'.

Removing the cartridge and wrapping a very small amount of tape around the narrow end towards the tip solves the dither between the casing and cartridge, providing a cushion.

CARTRIDGE
Place tape here
.....\/_________________
<===_________________|

Needless to say, you will need to eventually replace the tape after a few months, but it really takes no time at all.

This is a fantastic pen for those who appreciate a simple design backed by excellent technology.

5.0 out of 5 stars World's Greatest Pen, November 16, 2008
First of all, this pen will write at any angle, unlike regular ball points. Secondly, it produces a good clear, even line. Thirdly, it writes in any conditions and is even resistant to water or grease. Fourthly, it is comforable to hold. And lastly, it has a good strong clip so that it refuses to fall out of a pocket. What more could a person watn?

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Handy, July 15, 2007
Very economical version of the FSP. Writes really well - very smooth. Never had a chance to test the underwater feature, but the ability to write upside down, or on walls is very handy when you are out on the street with nothing but vertical surfaces to write against. The barrel is a little thinner than ideal, but it makes it smaller and more portable - a fair trade-off in my opinion. Highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for meetings! (Too noisy). Save for outdoor use., June 12, 2009
C. Adamson (Annandale, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This pen is not good for use in meetings (or classes) because it is *noisy*. As you write with it, the metal refill clicks against the metal body.

That's too bad, because the pen is very elegant looking and well balanced.

It is an excellent pen for outdoor activity - writes when wet, in any temperature, any orientation. I keep it in my hiking pack.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing better, June 25, 2009
Carl Wutkee (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
Space Pens are great for all their advertised reasons plus the simple fact that I have not found a nicer, smoother, or more even flowing ink for under $20 for refills. At $5 they're a steal and I put them into all of my parker pens too. I have owned Space Pens for over 20 years and just replaced the refill on one that had 08/87 production date, so, even rarely used they work perfectly until they run out of ink. So, what the $#@! does cap-o-matic mean? Does the cap come off or does it click? I had to find out and bought it. It is a click pen that looks like you would pull off a cap. As expected it writes really well - very smooth. Never had a chance to test the underwater feature, but the ability to write upside down, or on walls is very handy when you are out on the street with nothing but air to write against while holding a stack of blueprints. The barrel is a little too thin (the metal not the width), but it makes it lighter and more portable. Highly recommended! I will be ordering several for gifts.

5.0 out of 5 stars No leaks, no noise, not anymore, December 1, 2010
A previous reviewer noted leaks. I was having the same problem until I realized that the problem only occurred when I capped/uncapped the pen. A couple of soft haired pipe cleaners solved the problem for me. I cleaned out the tip of the cap. Somehow ink had built up in there. After cleaning, I haven't had this problem again.

Also, for the reviewer who hates the metal sound when writing... are you using an original Fisher cartridge? I had bought an Eversharp replacement for one of my pens, and it didn't fit quite perfectly... gave me that same metal sound. Drove me crazy until I wrapped a small piece of masking tape around the refill's top end. The pen is now quiet and I'm no longer going mad.

Love fisher pens so much I own three. Looking to make that four.

5.0 out of 5 stars THe ultimate test for a pen..., April 26, 2011
...is to keep it in your car's glove box for a couple of years and then take it out and find that it writes as well as the day you put it in there. This pen will pass that test with ease. I've had mine in the glove box for at least three years and every time i need to jot something down it works flawlessly. No other pen has ever been able to hold up to long stretches of Northeastern winters and hot August days and still work. I've used this pen while camping and hunting under pretty extreme conditions without fail. This is the most "tactical" pen you can get. Disregard all those pointed aluminum "weapon" pens...if you need a weapon you shouldn't be looking for that from a pen. A true "tactical" pen must work in extreme conditions and this one does. If it's good enough for NASA (Fisher pens have been used since the Apollo days) it will work in any Earthly conditions.

2.0 out of 5 stars INK CARTRIDGES LEAK, July 30, 2010
I have been using Fisher Space Pens over 30 years. The older models worked well. I own this and another current model of Space Pen. Both pens put out a large gob of ink at the first stroke, and then work normally. Set it down for 10 minutes and write again, the same thing happens. It seems the seal between the ball and the rest of the cartridge is not tight enough to resist the gas pressure. If this happened to just one, I would think it was just an unusual defect, but two? They are both medium point. Perhaps a fine point would have a tighter seal? My older Fisher Space Pens never had this problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Pen, November 28, 2010
This is my second Fisher Space Pen. Most of their pens are very short and hardly fit in a large hand which was a problem with my first pen. The Military version is a clicker type pen and is a standard size pen. Works great in the winter and on vertical surfaces.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent pen, though less convenient than the bullet version, May 2, 2008
Amazon Customer (Ft. Worth, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent, high-quality pen and definitely worth the money. It's 5 3/4" long (same as the bullet pen when opened) and wide 3/8" at its thickest, making it a little thin for optimal writing purposes. It's very tough and writes very reliably. The only reason I'm giving it a 4 instead of 5 stars is that the bullet version, which collapses down to a smaller size, is a much better design. But if you get this one, you're unlikely to be disappointed.