Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Holiday Music in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now HTL

on February 7, 2010
I had a Fisher Paykel washer several years ago and loved it but had to leave it behind when I moved. After living with a front loader and an old Maytag top loader, the Maytag finally died and I now have another Fisher Paykel again. It is even better than I remembered! This machine is a breath of fresh air! It automatically handles varying load sizes, is simple to set and start, the clothes come out cleaner, brighter, softer, and smelling better than before. They are also almost dry after the fast spin cycle. Dryer time is cut down to only about 20 minutes for an average load as opposed to an hour or more with my old washer. The machine was easy to unpack, set up and install as well. The cabinet is smaller and lighter than the Maytag yet it handles a larger load. I cannot say enough good things about this machine!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 4, 2013
I would like to share my experience with potential buyers of Fisher Paykel products. My wife purchased a dryer and washing machine several years ago from an appliance store in PA. Within (2) years we had (3) service calls to replace the control board, a bearing and some other part of the washing machine .... all of which were very costly and inconvenient. Up to this point our house was a weekend place and we had barely used the appliances. The washing machine quit working once again and the repair was going to be another $300.00. I finally called Fisher Paykel and they offered to pick up labor and parts even though our washer was beyond the warranty. At this point we were living in our house full time and just could not wait another 3 > 5 weeks for the parts and repair. So, I went to Home Depot and bought a highly rated Samsung washing machine and paid for an extended warranty. I had Home Depot take what looked like a brand new Fisher Paykel washing machine with about (6) real months of use on it away and will NEVER buy ANY of their products again. The dryer has also been repaired (2) times and next time it breaks I will also make a swap for another brand. I would say $1500.00 wasted but a priceless education about researching a product before you buy. I hope this helps .....

N. McShane
on March 3, 2010
I chose the Fisher Paykel because I wanted a HE top loading washer that had the advantages of a front loader. The FP fits the bill and has a good rating from J.D. Powers. Because I have hard water, I wanted to add Borax to the wash, so I contacted customer service on a Sunday afternoon. I was immediately assisted by a very nice person from New Zealand, who answered the question promptly (it's just sprinkled on top of the items to be washed).

I've owned and used this washer for about a month and am very pleased with its operation and results. The spin cycle is awesome and I especially like the ability to either choose my own settings, or just push the "regular" button and let the machine make the choices.

I am a believer in reading the owner's manual and following the instructions. To avoid scrud, FP advises that liquid fabic softener should be diluted and the softener rinse cycle chosen. Good advice, judging from the build-up on my previous washer. They also instruct that the washer should be unplugged when not in use. More good advice since electrical surges can damage electronics.

It saves on water, save on electricity, included a ten-year warranty, and is a great machine.
on April 26, 2010
My wife and I bought a front loader about 5 years ago and it turned out to be the worst thing we ever bought.

We decided to finally cut our losses and go back to a top loader. We had a very knowledgable salesman recommend this washer. We were a little leary at first as we had never heard of this company.

After reading some good and bad reviews and considering the risks and rewards, we decided to buy the washer and dryer.

So far, most of the bad reviews have not applied to us. The washer is extremely quiet compared to our front loader and it actually cleans our clothes, something the front loader just didn't do.

I'm very happy so far. I have not had to deal with customer service so I can't comment on that aspect but the product, so far, is the best waster I've ever owned. Some folks think they are ugly :-). I personally think they are way more attractive than all others. Has the sleek look like the newer mercedes. LOL.
on December 31, 2009
My 18 year old Maytag died on me a few weeks ago and I thought it would be easy enough to select a new washer since technology and efficiency should have improved. I was horrified as I did my extensive research in which I basically concluded my next machine will not last more than 5 to 7 years (unless I would purchase a very expensive Miele washer that has a 10 year guarantee and is tested to run for 20 years). Other than the Miele, all brands seem to have issues with reliability/maintenance, expensive repairs, inability to consistently wash clothes properly, etc.

How did I end up deciding on the Fisher Paykel model? I was at my wits end and went to my local appliance store. I was resigned to purchasing a basic Whirlpool. I figured I would not bother buying a higher end model since it is all a crapshoot whether a machine will work out in the long run. At the store, I looked at the Whirlpool and the salesmen noticed I was not looking too happy. He suggested I look at the Fisher Paykel models (which I had read about during my research but dismissed since I had never heard of the brand and did not know anyone that owned one). The salesmen indicated he owned one for several years and so did 2 other salesmen in the store and they all highly recommend the brand.

This washer is a top loader which was a must for me but designed with the efficiency of a front loader. I was impressed with what I saw (roomy inside with a steel tub that has a washboard design). I was leery of the electronic controls but was very satisfied that the machine provides the ability to override its efficiency controls. For instance, you do not have to use the auto sensing water fill if you want to do a wash that will fill with more water. Fisher Paykel is a bit more expensive than a Whirlpool but with the rebates, it ended up being about the same price. Also, the manufacturer offered a 10 year warranty on the motor.

I have been using the machine for one week now and am overall very pleased with the way it operates and washes clothing. So far, I have seen no need to override the auto sensing water fill function. I stopped the machine several times to see how much was filling in and it is not much water! But the clothes were sufficiently drenched and sudsy. And the spin cycle takes out most of the water so that my clothes are much drier at the end compared to the way my Maytag worked. One downside I read about and was reiterated by the salesmen is the level of noise from this machine. Not true from my perspective! Compared to the noise level I was use to from my old Maytag (which sounded like a geyser when draining into the laundry tub), this machine is pretty quiet to me. In fact, I have been leaving my laundry door open now.

Of course, my opinion is still to be determined on longevity and maintenance. I hope to come back a year or two from now and provide an update since only time will tell.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 28, 2013
No matter what model you decide to buy, Fisher/Paykel is very difficult to get serviced. Our dryer needed service after 5 years. We live in a suburb of Chicago. There was only one company that would come to our home. In five visits, 4 weeks and $350 our dryer was fixed. Now our washer motor burnt out. The same company is willing to service but at what price and time frame?? Service is a major concern. Consider yourself warned.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 6, 2012
The washer works fine BUT IF AND WHEN IT BREAKS, THE COMPANY DOES NOT PROVIDE SKILLED, PROMPT, RELIABLE REPAIR. I have not had a working machine for 4 months, despite 5 visits by 3 different repairmen, 4 different diagnoses, and 4 different pieces being replaced! I can't even begin to count the number of phone calls I've had to make to try to get this machine fixed, and every new part or visit takes at least a week to 10 days!!!The company cannot support its products. DO NOT BUY!!!
on February 14, 2012
We purchased a Fisher & Paykel washer & dryer five years ago.
There was a faulty part on my washing machine when I got it.
Over the years a pump and electrical boards have been replaced.
Since the warranty is up my husand does the repairs.
In the last five years I believe my washing machine has been worked on every six months.
I now have a washing machine that leaks and a dryer that needs a new heating element.
I would not recommend Fisher & Paykel to anyone.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 5, 2012
My wife and I built our new house in 2003 and had to buy a washing machine and dryer new. We liked the top loader design of the Fischer Paykel , the size of the large load it would take and the fact that it didn't use a drive system to drive the tub. No moving parts to replace from wear. Well, it's been 9 years and it's still going strong! We have not had one service call on this machine! Not once! The only criticism we have of this unit is that in this year of the machine it didn't have a tub splash guard and if you over fill it, you can get some water splash under the machine. I have been told that the models after ours they modified the machine and added a splash guard. Thanks Fischer Paykel.
on October 28, 2013
I have had this set since February 2007. Both the washer and dryer were extremely loud. I loved the performance of the washer except I couldn't get an all-hot water cycle. There were no instructions on getting an all-hot water cycle until I called the company. I was given the explanation that the machine was not made to give an all-hot water cycle to "help you not make a mistake." I finally was told to select "hot" temperature and "traditional" wash. That worked somewhat. The pump had to be had to be replaced two times.

The dryer has been a much different story. There was a total of six repairs, three of which were made in the first nine months. The following repairs were made: replace sensors, two times the lint filter box was stuck and couldn't get it out, replaced the whole lint filter unit, would not heat and the safety switch was replaced, replaced heat unit w/kit. The last repair was made on August 2013 ($350). Presently the dryer is making loud thunking noise (I think it is the part that makes the drum reverse direction). I am in the process of buying a new dryer and it isn't a Fisher & Paykel! Even the repairman told me that it was not unusual to have at least three repairs a year. I definitely would NOT buy another Fisher & Paykel product.