4.0 out of 5 stars The same old thing
There is nothing special about this toy. The dial is too hard for tiny fingers to manipulate, and the cord for the handset is so short that the child has to pick up the entire toy to "make a call". There are better options.
Published on August 28, 1999

1.0 out of 5 stars Awkward to play with
I was excited when I first bought this toy for my little one, because I had one when I was a child. I'll say one thing about it, it's cute and it looks like the old one, and it's durable. Most Fisher Price toys can withstand alot of abuse. But it's not as playable as the old one.

Published on December 16, 2005 by mamalama

1.0 out of 5 stars Awkward to play with, December 16, 2005
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Fisher-Price Toddlerz Chatter Telephone (Toy)

First of all, the original was made of wood of course, and this one is plastic, but no problem with that, just thought I would mention that to anyone who thought it was exactly like the old one.

The reason it's awkward for children to play with is because the reciever cord is very very short. The child will practically have to hold the whole phone up to his ear.

Whoever said that their child had the coiled cord wrapped around their neck was either lying trying for a lawsuit, or they had an actual older version. There is no way the coiled cord is going to wrap around anyone's neck unless it was a Barbie doll's neck. I'm assuming they shortened it for safety reasons. Okay, I understand that, but they left the pull cord long on it. A child could strangle themselves with the pull cord just as well as they could the reciever cord if it was long enough. So why shorten one for safety reasons but leave the other long? That is just stupid. My 1 year old won't play with this, because he won't pick up the whole phone to put the reciever to his ear. He gets frustrated with it. So really the only purpose it served was to bring back a childhood memory for me. I will probably wind up cutting the stupid 3 inch cord off of the darn thing so my baby can hold the reciever the right way.

So I only recommend this for someone who likes replicas of their childhood toys, or for someone who just likes cute toys to display on a shelf in their child's room. But I don't recommend it as a toy to play with.

4.0 out of 5 stars The same old thing, August 28, 1999

1.0 out of 5 stars Very little value, October 25, 2000
By A Customer
With all the neat play phones on the market, this toy could only hold the interest of the 1 year old crowd, if that. And you can't even drag it around like when I was a child, because for safety, the strings are too short.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Big Kid, February 16, 2001
By A Customer
I remember the old chatter phone with the rotary dial pad. Though the pad lights up on the new updated version, I think that the old rotary stimulated and encouraged tots to use and develop fine motor skills even at a young age. I guess since the rotary dial is now obsolete, toy manufacturers must upgrade their toys to keep up with new technology to make their toys more realistic.
In addition, I miss the old clicking noise that the wheels made when you pulled the phone. This phone does not capture the attention for my son as it did for my daughter, although he does love the eyes! The opinion from my 8 year old daughter who had the older version, said that she also liked the wheel sounds and the rotary dial the older version made as well. What would be great is to have both models on the shelf to choose from.
What is great is that not all toys must be electronic. There is time for that and plenty of them out there. I appreciate that there are still some that are old fashioned. Overall, the chatter phone is a very sturdy toy. I am confident that it is safely constructed as most fisher price toys are. The bright colors are wonderful and my son enjoys pushing it around watching the eyes move up and down and playing with the handset.

4.0 out of 5 stars ...RiNg..rInG..911~May I help you?, August 27, 1999
This review is from: Fisher-Price Toddlerz Chatter Telephone (Toy)
Do you need to use your phone but can't pry it from your little ones hands...try getting this great Fisher Price phone. It is very durable and will bring smiles to your childrens faces. It makes minimual noise. They pretend for hours to call all their friends and relatives..even some I have never heard of...The little ones will love the moving eyes and as they get older they will use it when they play house. It is one of those ageless toys...(except your teenager might think otherwise) Your child can also pull this toy with the string that is provided. It may not have the NEW up-to-date look but it teaches kids to use their imagination and it saves you on buying Batteries..Yeah! Add this one to your list to buy~you will never regret it!

3.0 out of 5 stars An old favorite. (been updated a bit), October 16, 2001
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
This is an old favorite toy that I think every child has probably owned at one time or another.
I look for toys that are fun, easy to use and fairly quiet. I also look for toys that encourage creativity, exploration of the world (educational is just a bonus). I want a toy that will grow with the child. This toy fits just about all of these requirements.
This toy is fun for my kids to drag around. The moving eyes enchanted my son, encouraging him to walk when he first began walking. It is quiet and lots of fun.
Here are my few comments- First, it would be more fun if the wheels clicked or made some noise. Second, The button pad is one big pad that pushes down all at once, this is a shame because it would be MUCH more fun if it had seperate number buttons.
There are a lot of toys with strings for pulling. I bought this because I remembered mine. However, I don't think I would buy it for anything other than sentimental reasons. There are other more fun toys available.

4.0 out of 5 stars Please cut the string short on this phone for safety reasons, November 28, 1999
This review is from: Fisher-Price Toddlerz Chatter Telephone (Toy)
I bought this phone for my 1 year old grandaugter The first thing she did was wrap the long string around her neck! The phone got caught on the string and it was dangling around her neck. The string was tight and she was in a panic. Please cut the string short on this phone. My kids had this phone when they were little, thats why I bought it for my grandaughter.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun toy - same as the old one, February 12, 2011
This review is from: Fisher-Price Toddlerz Chatter Telephone (Toy)
I didn't ask for this toy, but my 10 month old daughter received it as a gift for Christmas. She loves moving it around on the wheels, turning the rotary numbers (mostly for the sound it makes) and holding the receiver up to her ear. When I first saw the toy, the first thing I noticed was how ridiculously short the cord from the phone to the receiver is! I was a bit annoyed that they shortened it. BUT then I went into the basement of my parents house and found my old version of this toy and THE CORD ON THE OLD ONE IS THE SAME LENGTH! I was born in 1985, so maybe previous versions had longer cords, but a 25 year old version of it didn't. I think it's funny how we all assume that "parents today" were too worried about their kids strangling themselves on the cord, but apparently parents back then thought the same thing. I'm not sure how my daughter even knows what this is because she's never seen a phone like that before, but she still likes it! Long story short, my now 11 month old daughter still loves to play with this toy.

4.0 out of 5 stars a old toy that still is giving children fun!!, August 18, 2001
I had owned this toy,except back then it was a rotary phone!!I do wish they didn't change the style! My kids love pull toys and toys that have noises....and this one isn't too bad for the parents to hear!!!Its a toy I will continue to give to my own kids and also friends kids!! You can also use it to learn numbers!!

4.0 out of 5 stars An enduring favorite from my own childhood., August 19, 1999
This review is from: Fisher-Price Toddlerz Chatter Telephone (Toy)
It is so wonderful to see a childhood favorite of mine now being enjoyed by my own child. It is a toy modeled from everyday life that a child can use to play grown-up. A phone of their own to call friends and family whenever they want. Always and forever a favorite.

Fisher-Price Toddlerz Chatter Telephone