Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Fisher-Price Bright Beginnings Activity Walker
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on February 15, 2007
We bought this toy when my son was about 11 months old. He had been pulling up to standing for quite some time, but just hadn't made the transition to walking yet. As soon as saw this toy he immeditiately pulled to standing and started taking steps! Now, 2 months later, he still uses it even though he can walk on his own. He loves pushing it around the house.

I saw some reviews on the musical version of this toy where some said that the toy was not good for kids pulling up to standing. My son weighed about 20 lbs when he first got it and never had any issues pulling up. The toy never fell over from his weight.
0Comment| 134 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 29, 2009
My husband rarely cares about reviews, but he read the review with me when there was only one review for this (5-star at the time) and was sold on buying it. At first, I have to admit that I was disappointed when I unpacked it. It is very lightweight; it's all pretty thin plastic - on the whole toy. The picture made it seem like the part with the 'toys' on it was heavy enough to weigh the whole thing down. It's pretty much just a shell, with a few gadgets attached.

When we bought it our child was about 7 months old, and loved crawling. When we tried the walker, our son really needed to put his weight on whatever was holding him up when he wanted to practice walking. So, when we first tried the walker with him, it would have toppled right over (with him) if both us hadn't either been holding our son or the toy. It's definitely not made to be heavily leaned upon by someone with wobbly legs.

We helped our son practice using the walker practically all the time, even though I thought the toy was far too light to ever be a support. It actually became useful in stages. At first, our son was increasingly able to hold his own weight, standing, which is what made the walker increasingly usable. The walker was a little more useful when he could stand well, but the 'toys' on it were totally uninteresting. (At least it's a quiet toy that doesn't need batteries.) Then, he could pretty much take one or two steps with the walker, on his own. Finally, one evening he just crawled to the walker and ran down the hall with it. It was quite a shock because when he pulled himself up, I thought he was going to fall over with the toy. (We'd always held the toy steady for him, up to that point.) I was only a few feet away watching him before I realized he wanted to stand up, but by the time I got up and took two steps to go help him, he'd already started running down the hall with it. (After I recovered my jaw, I woke my husband to see the surprise.)

I'd say if you're interested in just getting something to help your child transition to walking on his/her own, this toy serves its purpose. Your child should probably be steady on his/her feet, meaning pretty much able to stand steadily. Early on, when he'd adjusted to using it, my husband and I still spent a lot of time holding the toy with him because his leaning on it made it roll quite quickly (the wheels are just as thin and lightweight as the rest of the toy.)

If you're like I was, and are looking for a walker that can double as a toy for a baby to play with while sitting, get something else. (I didn't invest much time looking into walkers because we have no stairs to worry about and have mostly carpet floors; so I can't make a specific, alternative suggestion.) It works very well on carpet, by the way. Regular floors, keep an eye on the little one driving.

Personally, I'd hoped it would be a multi-purpose toy (based on the picture), having little things on top of it to play with, but the widgets just flip like pages or spin. In the end, though, our son didn't really need us to invest a lot in a walker because the transition was about a month or two, then he wanted to take steps on his own and didn't want the toy to help him anymore. He pretty much stopped using it after he started practicing on his own.

We bought this when it was about $20, I think. (I'd spent so much on other toys I didn't have much left to invest in a walker at the time.) In hindsight, I'm glad I didn't spend a lot on this kind of toy. Really, it's not necessary to spend more than $20 on a push walker anyway. I definitely wouldn't buy this particular walker for more than $20 or $25. By the time children get the hang of walking with the help of a toy, they will probably just want to try walking on their own, one step at a time.

By the way, I rated this toy 5 stars because my husband specifically asked me to write a review for this (of all the toys I bought on Amazon) and to rate it 5 stars. I love him, he thought the toy was great, and my son's a champion at walking now, so, here's 5 stars. Cheers.
0Comment| 110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 27, 2016
My mom bought this. It is too lightweight and the wheels spin too easily for a baby to support itself if he's just learning to walk. I added a bunch of items (i.e., textbooks, weights) to weigh the toy down and rubber bands on the wheels to add some friction. Now the kids can use it while standing without the toy flying out from under them. The rubber bands work ok. I saw that another reviewer used duct tape. I am toying with the idea of using something similar like a tennis racquet grip tape to add friction.

Update: I moved the rubber bands from the wheels to the axis (between the wheels and body) and this kept the wheels from spinning. When the kids were about 10 months old, I was able to remove the rubber bands (but keep all the weighted items) and the kids were able to walk forward with it.
review image review image
on September 21, 2012
Ok! so we all love fisher price and I was excited to get a walker for my son - I bought it for him when he was 10 months old and we have had it for one month now. It looks great in the picture BUT its EXTREMELY light weight... DO NOT BUY THIS!!! its not meant to work as a walker... when the kid tries to stand up the toys falls over, the kid falls over, and he or she gets hurt. again - its very light weight and cheap... you are better off getting something heavy and durable... my son tries to stand up with this toy to practice and he falls over... the toy cant hold the childs weight... and my son is not over weight or fat... just a normal 11 month old baby!
33 comments| 120 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 21, 2015
I bought this for my son when he was 10 months old, and I regretted waiting so long to buy it. I was hesitant to buy him a walker, but I am so glad that I did. He was able to crawl, but not walk yet, and was getting frustrated with himself not being able to walk to where he wanted to go. It only took him about a week, maybe less, to figure out how to turn corners, then he was cruising all over the house. He would run in circles and scream in happiness. He was so happy with this walker. I read some other reviews that said their kid tipped over on this, and I just wanted to say that my son has never face planted using this. He loved it. I would recommend to everyone with a young child that is crawling and standing but not yet able to walk on their own.
review image
on July 10, 2013
Had this toy for almost a month, my daughter was 9 month when she started using it, and now she is 10 month. She is at ~5% tile weight for her age, so she is consider very very light. Yet, when she tries to hold the toy to stand up, it would fall over on her. If she lean a little bit backwards during walk, it will roll back and she would loss balance and this toy would fall on her (if her hands are still holding on to it). If she lean forward too much while walking, the toy would go forward and she will try to knee down and the toy would fall on her. The only way my wife and I feel safe for her to walk with it is crawl behind her and hold both wheel with our hand to control the speed, that way if she fall backwards, we would catch her before the toy falls on her, and it would never go too fast with us holding on and turning the wheel by hand slowly at her pase.

Overall, it's not a good walker, most of the time we just lay it flat and let her play with the things on the front, but not for actual walking.
on January 1, 2016
We received this Activity Walker as a Christmas gift for our son. I liked that there was nothing to assemble except for putting on a few stickers. I wanted to see it in both the walker (up) position and activity center (down) position. It has warnings on it to avoid pinching your fingers - which I read, but there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY to avoid getting your finger smashed. My husband ran up after hearing me scream and he too admited that it is nearly impossible to not get your finger pinched when adjusting its position. Horrible design and the features on it are nothing special. I would not recommend this product.
review image
on November 18, 2015
This fun little walker has lots of fun and colorful spinning toys to keep baby busy when they aren't walking and exploring all over with it. My daughter actually took her first steps without my help with this walker. I love that it gave her support, but the wheels weren't so tight that it did all the work. She actually had to figure out her balance with this walker. I also like that it folds flat so baby can play with it on the floor and for storage purposes. The only thing I with it had was some music or lights. Other than that it is awesome!
on February 8, 2015
We bought this for our great-grandbaby so she would learn to walk just like we did with her mother. She played with this a lot but learned to walk on her own. This has been a good toy for her and she has enjoyed it. She mostly sat in front of it and played with all of the fancy things that caught her eye. She pushed it around some after she learned how to walk. I would definitely purchase it again for another baby. PS. We just made another purchase for the next great and he loves it. This is just a really good item for little fellows and it is a lot of entertainment to watch him enjoy it. I guess I will buy it again when the next great arrives.
on September 2, 2014
Was back then my wife begged me to order some kind of aid for my little one to walk, for some reason I forgot to do it right away, so by the time I did order it it was kinda desperate, so I didn't pay that much attention to every and each detail of this walker just an overall look and was placed.
Now after while I can just say the truth, we were satisfied with it, and ao was my boy very exciting gadgets and attractive toys attached that makes it even more lovable. Yes it has ao far its quite durable and nice.