1,259 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars I can see her wheels turning...
Published on November 22, 2007 by T. Aulbach

1.0 out of 5 stars Concerned about possible use of harmful chemicals
Published on May 11, 2009 by Sunshine

5.0 out of 5 stars I can see her wheels turning..., November 22, 2007
This review is from: Fisher-Price Brilliant Basics Baby's First Blocks (Toy)
As my 14 month daughter works on getting the right shape in the right hole. It's true that sometimes she just gets frustrated and picks up the lid and throws the shapes in the bucket instead of sorting them, but when I play with her talk to her and ask her where each shape goes she really focuses and we get them together. She looks so proud of herself when she gets them right, too! But even when she is playing by herself and taking the lid off, it's still a very fun toy for her to put them all in, take them out, and do it all over again!

1.0 out of 5 stars Concerned about possible use of harmful chemicals, May 11, 2009
Sunshine (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fisher-Price Brilliant Basics Baby's First Blocks (Toy)
My son received this toy as a gift for his 6-month birthday. At the time, I remember hearing about how some plastic toys (often made in China) contain harmful chemicals that are known to cause cancer and feeling concerned that this toy might be one of them. I didn't do anything for awhile, seeing how my son enjoyed playing with the toy and thinking (stupidly) that if this toy were truly harmful, it wouldn't be sold in the U.S.

One day, I came across this toy on Amazon and noticed the warning to CA residents under "Product Details." I couldn't believe it when I read this toy is made with harmful chemicals known to "cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm." I bet a lot of people who are giving this toy 5 stars are not aware of the warning.

UPDATE TO REVIEW ON 10-28-09: Amazon has removed the warning about the harmful chemicals, and in response to an inquiry I sent them told me "Product information from the item detail is added or deleted upon manufacturers information." Amazon suggested I contacted FP, which I did, and the FP rep said he couldn't find anything in their records indicating the toy's manufacturing had been changed. The toy's production has not been altered since 2007. He suggested that perhaps the warning wasn't accurate, and that's why it was removed. That may be, but it seems like a pretty big mistake for Amazon to make on multiple FP toys. I see now that none of the FP toys that previously had this warning have it now.

As for my son's reaction to the toy, he liked to bang the pieces together and put them in his mouth, but he never bothered to try to sort the shapes since the top doesn't stay in place, as others have mentioned. My son always removed the top and took out all of the pieces, no matter how many times I showed him how to sort the shapes with the top in place. Talk about poor design! I should have given it 1 star for the "educational" rating in hindsight, but I figured that theoretically it could be of some value if a child didn't remove the top. Also, Amazon wouldn't let me go back and change my ratings.

I just got another shape sorter for him from Amazon (the Tolo Rolling Shape Sorter), and within minutes he tried to put the shapes in the slots because he couldn't remove either the top or the bottom of the unit. Now that's an educational toy!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not that great of a sorter..., July 25, 2007
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Fisher-Price Brilliant Basics Baby's First Blocks (Toy)
This is a basic, durable, inexpensive toy. However what I don't care for is the fact that the lid doesn't snap on. I'm sure this is that way so babies can take it off, but I prefer the sorter that the child has to put the shapes through the holes. My baby figured out that it was easier to take the lid off! I like the Smartronics cookie jar sorter much better.

2.0 out of 5 stars How to fix sorter easily., December 8, 2012
This review is from: Fisher-Price Brilliant Basics Baby's First Blocks (Toy)
So this sorter is okay, but has a MAJOR PROBLEM, fortunately, it is easy to fix.

The major problem is the lid won't stay on, at all. Here is how you fix it:

You will need: 8" of twine or cord, 1 elastic hair band.

Cut the twin in half. Tie one length into a loop with a knot going through the triangle and circle holes.

Loop the hair band in on itself through the twine so they are now connected.

Put the other length of twine through the hair band and blue plastic handle of the base box, and tie it into a loop going through the square and plus holes.

Now the lid is held securely to the box by the tension of the elastic, and can easily be pulled open to removed the shape toys after the child puts them in.

See pictures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great toy, March 26, 2011
This review is from: Fisher-Price Brilliant Basics Baby's First Blocks (Toy)
I bought this when my daughter was 6 months old. She loved to chew on the blocks. Occasionally, I would try to get her to put the blocks in the bucket and yes she would just rip the yellow lid off. My thought process was she's just a baby and she doesn't have to know her colors and shapes and learning shouldn't be a chore at that age.
Now that she is 2, she likes to put the shapes in bucket with the lid on. She knows the names of all the shapes but doesn't really know the colors just yet. She absorbs so much by interaction and by people saying the words to her. Not drilling her on a formal level, just by playing. You'd be suprised how much better kids will learn if you gave objects a name instead of saying "Pick that up over there, go get that. No not that, that!" Calling objects "that" does not allow children to learn that objects have different names and especially what those names are. I have said, "Where's the triangle? Go get the triangle. Let's put the triangle in this hole." When she was 13 months, half the time I'd have to go pick up the triangle because there were too many things and she didn't know which object the triangle was but eventually she learned it and now she knows which hole the triangle goes in. I'm sure if I was more vocal with colors she would be there too. I'm not too stressed though. She'll learn her colors eventually.

1.0 out of 5 stars Toy has toxic chemicals, September 22, 2011
This review is from: Fisher-Price Brilliant Basics Baby's First Blocks (Toy)
With all the recent news about lead, BPA and other harmful chemicals being found in many children's toys, I've been investigating any toy my child has been given. Someone gave my 7 month old this as a gift. It doesn't say "BPA Free" or anything on the box, so I decided to call the company.

Fisher Price has only issued this statement (here's my paraphrase): that BPA is a known carcinogen, and that it is dangerous when food products come in contact with it. Since Fisher Price does not sell any "food storage" items like bottles or nipples, it is not as much of an issue. They do not put BPA in their high chairs, but do use it in their toys.

So, I'm not going to let my son use it....as EVERYTHING ends up in his mouth :)

One good thing I can say about Fisher Price is that it was easy to get ahold of a customer service rep. If this concerns you at all, give them a call, too! The more people who call and say it's important, the more likely they are to change their practices and produce safer toys for our children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Baby is learning!!, July 6, 2011
This review is from: Fisher-Price Brilliant Basics Baby's First Blocks (Toy)
Although my baby has not mastered the concept of putting the shapes in the correct openings, she loves the shapes on their own as well as with the bucket. The pieces are easy to grasp, which is great for challenging her mind with how the shapes feel different. She will soon understand how it works. It is definitly worth the money, because it is a toy that will continue to teach her new things as she gets a little older. She really seems to enjoy this toy and baby is learning!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but lid doesn't stay on!, June 17, 2008
This review is from: Fisher-Price Brilliant Basics Baby's First Blocks (Toy)
My 8 month old has been playing with this for 2 months, and she LOVES it. She feels the shapes, chews on them, throws them, bangs them together, etc. However, she doesn't actually put the shapes through their correct hole. The lid comes off way too easily! She rips the lid off, bangs it on the red box, throws it, chews it, but never uses it as it is intended. Perhaps if the lid snapped on somehow she would learn how to put the shapes into the holes.
I do use this toy to say the name of the shape and the colors, and I try to show her how they fit into the holes, but she's not interested.
One good thing is you can wash them in the sink with soap and water very easily. You can't do this with a lot of toys.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun simple toy for many stages of development, August 16, 2009
Amber Costley (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fisher-Price Brilliant Basics Baby's First Blocks (Toy)
My Mother-In-Law got this for my son when he was six months old. He has played with these blocks pretty much everyday since then. They are small and light and easy for those little teeny hands to grab. When he first got them he would bang the blocks together, bang the blocks on the bucket, and then grab the bucket with his feet and study it. Then he tried to grab two blocks at once. Then three. He would grab the blocks out of the bucket. We stack them, he knocks them down. He grabs the lid and bangs it on everything in sight. Now that he's figuring out how to put things into other things he'll put the blocks into everything, into the middle of his stackable rings, into buckets, into the actual bucket and occasionally he'll place a block on top of the lid and then look at me like - did I do that right? We're also now putting just the lid on the floor and setting the blocks into the right holes so he can see what goes where, which he is very interested in.

I love it that some day, when he's older, he'll make the connection between the actual block and cutout shapes and start putting the blocks through the correct holes. I think that mental connection is more important then just forcing things through whatever hole they happen to fit in. I guess eventually babies will get the concept either way but for us this is the perfect shape sorter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great learning toy, July 15, 2009
This review is from: Fisher-Price Brilliant Basics Baby's First Blocks (Toy)
Our son received this as a gift before he turned 1. Although he could not sort the blocks then, he started trying. It was amazing to watch him over the next year change the way he played with the toy. Initially he just played with the blocks, then threw them in the bucket, dumped them out again. He would also carry the bucket with blocks around by the handle. Later he was able to put in the round one, then another and within a short time all of them. He still likes playing with it. It was apparent that he had a sense of achievement after each new "accomplishment". I highly recommend this toy.

Fisher-Price Brilliant Basics Baby's First Blocks