5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, but lid could be better
My daughter LOVES this toy. She plays with it non stop while she watches her shapes DVD.

I have two issues with it. The first is that the lid doesn't snap on, so sometimes she just yanks the lid off and doesn't actually put the pieces through the sorter top. Then I have to replace the lid and have her start over again.

The second is the plastic...
Published 13 months ago by Bonnie Ruzicka

3.0 out of 5 stars Not that great of a sorter...
This is a basic, durable, inexpensive toy. However what I don't care for is the fact that the lid doesn't snap on. I'm sure this is that way so babies can take it off, but I prefer the sorter that the child has to put the shapes through the holes. My baby figured out that it was easier to take the lid off! I like the Smartronics cookie jar sorter much better.
Published on July 25, 2007 by C. Murphey

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, but lid could be better, March 18, 2013
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars

The second is the plastic material. I certainly have some concerns that there might be some harmful chemicals in them. But then again I probably would have to worry about 95% of her other toys as well.

All that aside, the shapes sorter is a classic toy, and I am happy that I bought it for her. Educational and fun - which is always great.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can see her wheels turning..., November 22, 2007
This review is from: Fisher-Price Brilliant Basics Baby's First Blocks (Toy)
As my 14 month daughter works on getting the right shape in the right hole. It's true that sometimes she just gets frustrated and picks up the lid and throws the shapes in the bucket instead of sorting them, but when I play with her talk to her and ask her where each shape goes she really focuses and we get them together. She looks so proud of herself when she gets them right, too! But even when she is playing by herself and taking the lid off, it's still a very fun toy for her to put them all in, take them out, and do it all over again!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not that great of a sorter..., July 25, 2007
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Fisher-Price Brilliant Basics Baby's First Blocks (Toy)

1.0 out of 5 stars Concerned about possible use of harmful chemicals, May 11, 2009
Sunshine (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fisher-Price Brilliant Basics Baby's First Blocks (Toy)
My son received this toy as a gift for his 6-month birthday. At the time, I remember hearing about how some plastic toys (often made in China) contain harmful chemicals that are known to cause cancer and feeling concerned that this toy might be one of them. I didn't do anything for awhile, seeing how my son enjoyed playing with the toy and thinking (stupidly) that if this toy were truly harmful, it wouldn't be sold in the U.S.

One day, I came across this toy on Amazon and noticed the warning to CA residents under "Product Details." I couldn't believe it when I read this toy is made with harmful chemicals known to "cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm." I bet a lot of people who are giving this toy 5 stars are not aware of the warning.

UPDATE TO REVIEW ON 10-28-09: Amazon has removed the warning about the harmful chemicals, and in response to an inquiry I sent them told me "Product information from the item detail is added or deleted upon manufacturers information." Amazon suggested I contacted FP, which I did, and the FP rep said he couldn't find anything in their records indicating the toy's manufacturing had been changed. The toy's production has not been altered since 2007. He suggested that perhaps the warning wasn't accurate, and that's why it was removed. That may be, but it seems like a pretty big mistake for Amazon to make on multiple FP toys. I see now that none of the FP toys that previously had this warning have it now.

As for my son's reaction to the toy, he liked to bang the pieces together and put them in his mouth, but he never bothered to try to sort the shapes since the top doesn't stay in place, as others have mentioned. My son always removed the top and took out all of the pieces, no matter how many times I showed him how to sort the shapes with the top in place. Talk about poor design! I should have given it 1 star for the "educational" rating in hindsight, but I figured that theoretically it could be of some value if a child didn't remove the top. Also, Amazon wouldn't let me go back and change my ratings.

I just got another shape sorter for him from Amazon (the Tolo Rolling Shape Sorter), and within minutes he tried to put the shapes in the slots because he couldn't remove either the top or the bottom of the unit. Now that's an educational toy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great toy, March 26, 2011
This review is from: Fisher-Price Brilliant Basics Baby's First Blocks (Toy)
I bought this when my daughter was 6 months old. She loved to chew on the blocks. Occasionally, I would try to get her to put the blocks in the bucket and yes she would just rip the yellow lid off. My thought process was she's just a baby and she doesn't have to know her colors and shapes and learning shouldn't be a chore at that age.
Now that she is 2, she likes to put the shapes in bucket with the lid on. She knows the names of all the shapes but doesn't really know the colors just yet. She absorbs so much by interaction and by people saying the words to her. Not drilling her on a formal level, just by playing. You'd be suprised how much better kids will learn if you gave objects a name instead of saying "Pick that up over there, go get that. No not that, that!" Calling objects "that" does not allow children to learn that objects have different names and especially what those names are. I have said, "Where's the triangle? Go get the triangle. Let's put the triangle in this hole." When she was 13 months, half the time I'd have to go pick up the triangle because there were too many things and she didn't know which object the triangle was but eventually she learned it and now she knows which hole the triangle goes in. I'm sure if I was more vocal with colors she would be there too. I'm not too stressed though. She'll learn her colors eventually.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pointless, August 19, 2013
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This is a very durable toy. However, the lid comes right off. My son just turns the bucket upside down or takes the lid off so this toy does not serve its intended purpose. I wanted a toy like the one I had when I was a kid where you had to figure out how to get the shapes to fit in their intended holes. This toy is a big fail. Make the lid snap on!

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad for baby's health!!!!!, April 17, 2012
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Fisher-Price Brilliant Basics Baby's First Blocks (Toy)
It's a decent toy which solves its purpose. My only complain is it's cheaply made so very light(Had this almost 10 yrs back in a round shape and was very sturdy) and also the top doesn't have any lock so my daughter continuously takes it out and tosses it. One more bad thing is there is a block of the shape '+' sign and '*', I am not sure what to tell my kid about the shape once she starts understanding. I recently discovered that this product contains 'Bromines' which can cause damage to organs such as liver, kidneys, lungs and milt and they can cause stomach and gastrointestinal malfunctioning, to read go to healthystuff.org. I am returning this stuff and I strongly think Amazon should stop selling this product.Giving it 1 star.

5.0 out of 5 stars His favorite toy!, August 20, 2010
This review is from: Fisher-Price Brilliant Basics Baby's First Blocks (Toy)
This is such an inexpensive, simple toy, yet it is hands down my 9 month old's favorite toy! If he starts crawling away from us all we have to do is put the blocks back in the bucket and shake it around and he just has to come over and dump them all out. He is starting to get that the pieces go in the holes, but mostly he just crawls around holding either the yellow lid or a block in each hand. He also loves to put the blocks into the little "slide" made for balls in another toy we have. Miraculously, with my son and 2 dogs, we have not lost a block yet!

1.0 out of 5 stars Toy has toxic chemicals, September 22, 2011
This review is from: Fisher-Price Brilliant Basics Baby's First Blocks (Toy)
With all the recent news about lead, BPA and other harmful chemicals being found in many children's toys, I've been investigating any toy my child has been given. Someone gave my 7 month old this as a gift. It doesn't say "BPA Free" or anything on the box, so I decided to call the company.

Fisher Price has only issued this statement (here's my paraphrase): that BPA is a known carcinogen, and that it is dangerous when food products come in contact with it. Since Fisher Price does not sell any "food storage" items like bottles or nipples, it is not as much of an issue. They do not put BPA in their high chairs, but do use it in their toys.

So, I'm not going to let my son use it....as EVERYTHING ends up in his mouth :)

One good thing I can say about Fisher Price is that it was easy to get ahold of a customer service rep. If this concerns you at all, give them a call, too! The more people who call and say it's important, the more likely they are to change their practices and produce safer toys for our children.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Truly Classic Toy, October 3, 2012
Without question, this shapes box is a classic. For whatever reason, it has become our sons favorite toy. I'm subtracting one star because the lid shouldn't come off so easily.

ARRAY(0xa7d95600)