5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet swing! Great exchange of swings!
Published on June 6, 2011 by Lynette Lozano

3.0 out of 5 stars Motor Lacking Enough Swing Power
Published on December 21, 2006 by WiSH

5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet swing! Great exchange of swings!, June 6, 2011
Our baby girl is 11 weeks old. We bought her the fisher price sugar plum swing honestly...only for the looks. Little did we realize it's super loud and the motor started to make a clicky noise after just 5 days! I then got online and read horrible reviews about the swing so my husband and I went back to BRU and exchanged it for the less expensive, luv u zoo cradle swing and it was the best decision ever! We've owned it for over 2 months and never looked back!

I have to disagree with the previous reviewer that posted a bad review saying the motor is loud. It Is super quiet! The trick to it is if you hear the motor at all, just separate the legs farther apart again and it will be quiet again. The key for it to stay quiet is the legs to stay the farthest apart possible.

It also has a cute mirror and mobile and multiple speeds and cute music. It is also attractive to have in your living room, neutral colors. Also another huge huge plus, it has an electric cord too! No need for batteries!

If you are contemplating this swing, get it! Especially since amazon has it cheaper than BRU. We like it so much, we are about to repurchase another one for a newborn nephew as a gift. Hope this helps~

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this swing!, April 28, 2008
Romy Choi (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fisher Price Cradle 'n Swing - Rainforest (Baby Product)
We purchased this swing when my son was about one month old. He loves it! He really likes the bright colors of the mobile animals and used to stare at them in amazement. As he has gotten older (he's now over 4 months), he gets bored a little more easily, so he doesn't like to stay in it for as long as he used to. I usually use the swing when I need to get things done around the house and can't take him along - like cook meals. I'm sad that he's quickly approaching the weight limit of 20 pounds (he's a big kid), so we won't be able to use it for a longer period of time.

We bought this particular swing because of the bright colors, its ability to be plugged in, and because it can swing both side to side and front to back. We also liked the music choices. Most of the songs are easy to listen to and won't drive you crazy. There is even one choice of just animal sounds (birds chirping, etc). It's nice for when you really don't want music playing in the background of your phone call.

Some people have reported problems with the swing stopping, saying they have a faulty motor. After a few days, we thought this was our problem as well. But then we realized that the seat wasn't aligned properly. Since you rotate the seat to change the swinging direction, you can change the center of gravity of the seat. Rotating the seat very slightly to the left or right and making sure the vertical swinging bar is centered in front of the plastic part (just under the picture of the elephant) will make it swing much better. As long as I check that the swinging bar is centered before turning it on, it works perfectly.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Buy, August 10, 2007
This review is from: Fisher Price Cradle 'n Swing - Rainforest (Baby Product)
We purchased this swing for our newborn son based on the fact that my wife uses one at the daycare she works at. Perhaps the biggest selling point for us was the fact that you have the option of using a plug-in adapter or batteries. Since just about every other item used for a baby takes batteries, it was nice to finally see a product with an A/C adapter. Other features that we like are the side-to-side or front-to-back swinging option, the wonderful mobile which features up-and-down movement, and the music/rainfall noises. All of these options work independently of one another, which makes this product even more appealing. We haven't had any problem with the swinging (or lack thereof) that others seem to be having. Sure, the swing doesn't move very fast, but I don't think my son is quite ready for roller coaster speeds just yet. My son seems very content while he naps in the swing as well.

Overall, I think that this swing is an excellent purchase for anyone in the market for one. While it may not have the strongest motor, it has plenty of other options that make it a good buy.

Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Motor Lacking Enough Swing Power, December 21, 2006
WiSH (Virginia Beach, VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fisher Price Cradle 'n Swing - Rainforest (Baby Product)
I purchased this swing for my 4 month old daughter. I was enticed by the fact it was the only one I could locate that could be plugged into an outlet and work off household electricity rather than battery power. I imagined this would make the "swing" consistantly a better "swing" as there would never be a weak power source. The first swing I brought home from the store was assembled (which only took about 15 minutes) and plugged in. I was immediately disappointed by the lack of swing, and eventually my wife and I determined that there was definitely something wrong with the swing, because even with no baby the swing would stop swinging then slowly...and barely swing again. I returned it...and purchased another. I agree with the other reviewer that it just appears to take awhile for it to "warm" up. As I sit and watch her in the swing at this moment, it seems to be working okay, but I'm not totally convinced. The mobile rotates and the leaves move up and down. If the motor issue could be improved I'd be more pleased with this particular swing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Baby Occupier, September 23, 2007
N. Privette (Wake Forest, NC, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fisher Price Cradle 'n Swing - Rainforest (Baby Product)
My son started enjoying this swing when he was only a week or two old. When he's awake, he stares in amazement at the rotating, brightly-colored animals. Since I keep this swing in my home office, I appreciate that there are four different music choices (or otherwise I might go crazy!). The papasan-style chair seems very comfortable to him - as evidenced by how easily he falls asleep in it. I like too that the chair rotates 90 degrees so your baby can swing either side-to-side or back-to-front. But most of all, I love that it plugs in instead of eating up $30 worth of batteries per month. The only thing I don't like about this swing is the volume control. There are two volume settings, but the lowest one is a little loud - too loud for nap time, anyway. All-in-all a very good purchase.

2.0 out of 5 stars Just doesn't live up to the original, May 26, 2008
This review is from: Fisher Price Cradle 'n Swing - Rainforest (Baby Product)
We had the duckie cradle swing (short lived production period) when my son was a baby. That swing put him into a coma for naps from 2 months till 6 months and saved my sanity many times. The only drawback was the battery factor... it chewed through D cells like no one's business. We kept it, hoping for another baby... and ended up with twins.

A friend of a friend lent us her rainforest swing and I was stoked - coma for naps and NO BATTERIES!

Unfortunately it's just not as good as it sounds. It didn't swing as high and it didn't swing as fast ... the mobile was slow, one of the leaves stopped flapping before we got it, and it wasn't in a good spot for baby to even view it ... the seat is different. It's easier to recline and seems more comfy BUT instead of being all one piece that tilts back or forward, only the back tilts or comes forward, which is not so good for a reflux baby - squishes the stomach SLIGHTLY more. (one of my twins we have dubbed "the spit up queen" so I am more attuned to these things than I care to be... it's OK if the back is reclined but not it you try to tilt it up)

Neither of my twins cared for this swing at all - they would sit in it and look bored and then start to fuss and then start to cry until you took them out - they preferred the duckie swing. It worked its coma magic on them just like my son. I ended up buying a used aquarium swing (same concept only with music and lights in addition to the mobile) and they are so much happier. The aquarium swing is rigged up to plug in instead of use batteries so everyone is happy.

Skip the rain forest swing - look for an aquarium or duckie swing. For what it's worth - people are complaining a lot about the rainforest motor dying... my son's duckie swing and the aquarium swing i bought are from 2003 and both are churning away strong as ever - maybe the quality was better then?

1.0 out of 5 stars Revised review...DANGEROUSLY DEFECTIVE!!!, September 21, 2011
When my 3 yr. old son was a baby we had the older version of this swing (the ocean wonders) and he absolutely loved it! The only downside was how often we had to buy batteries for it, that got to be a little expensive. So when our 6 week old daughter was born we were super excited that this version could be plugged into the wall. Unfortunately the plug in, along with how cute the swing is, seem to be the only good things about this swing. At the slowest setting, it still moves too fast for a newborn. Also, it is really loud, even after separating the legs as far as they'll go. This swing isn't "bad", but it isn't that great either. I recommend that parents shop around before purchasing this swing for their little one.

REVISED on 1/2/12 - Over the weekend my daughter fell asleep in her swing and I went to do some laundry. When I went to check on her about 25 minutes later there was a strong burning smell coming from the motor of the swing and it had completely stopped moving. I immediately unplugged it and took my baby out. When I went to the Fisher-Price website to find their contact info, I read that almost all the the reviews had complained about the motor burning out after about 3-5 months. I am horrified by the strong burning smell and don't want to think about how bad things could have been had I not checked on her when I did. PLEASE do not buy this swing, it is dangerous!

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice swing that does not swing much, December 2, 2006
This review is from: Fisher Price Cradle 'n Swing - Rainforest (Baby Product)
We just finished putting it together and I agree with the other poster who says it doesn't swing much. It hardly goes 3 inches off center, no matter what the speed setting is. I think there must be a manufacturing defect because the swing just doesn't move as much as I remember the one in the store moving. We got ours to swing a little faster on occasion and if you let it warm up long enough, but so far I am disappointed.

I like the music, but the controls are definitely lacking. The controls feel cheap and it's difficult to click them into the place you intend because the settings are so close to each other.

I am thinking there is a problem with the motor/controls and will be revisting Babies R Us to see if I need a new motor.

UPDATE: I did find that the first swing was defective. The replacement swing is much quieter and actually swings. If your swing makes a clicking noise, take it back to the store!

I'd rate this swing a 3.5 or 4 now. I love the plug in feature, but I still have gripes about not being able to cycle through the music. The buttons themselves can also stand to be improved. Finally, it would be nice if the seat had more recline options.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but could use some improvements, December 14, 2011
Cons:
-music/mobile WILL automatically turn off after 10 min. This is actually a big peeve of mine, as many times the baby wakes up once the noise stops. I don't know why FP doesn't just make it so there's an option of continuous music/mobile movement vs. switching off on its own.
-the swinging motion can be a little too fast/intense for newborns. In the beginning (<3wks old) I was too scared to use the swinging component because I felt like it was just too much/went too fast for a little baby. During that time, I would just manually rock it every few minutes by pushing it.
-the swing motor does make a noise, it ticks like a metronome. It doesn't bother me, but it's definitely not silent.
-the mobile motor also has a spinning noise. But, my baby actually likes it so it's not a big deal.

Pros:
-despite all these cons, this swing WORKS. Babies love to be held 24-7 but realistically you can't hold them for 24-7, so this swing is the next best thing when you need a break. My baby loves looking at himself in the mirror, staring at the mobile, or taking his naps in it. It'll buy you enough time for your shower, to wash some bottles, or leave amazon reviews :-)
-bright, colorful toys to look at, mirror keeps baby entertained
-cloth parts are removable and washable
-option of either plug in or battery

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Swing!!, November 26, 2006
This review is from: Fisher Price Cradle 'n Swing - Rainforest (Baby Product)
We bought this swing from Babiesrus and my daughter loves it so much, she likes being in it all the time. The great thing about this swing is that it is a plug in so we dont waste too much money on batteries! We did not have any problems with this swing, it swings both ways, front to back and side to side. The speed adjusts according to what the baby is comfortable with. The mobile spins, keeping my daughter well entertained and the music is great too. It has jungle sounds, rain, and different lullabys. I would recommend this swing to everyone!

Fisher Price Cradle 'n Swing - Rainforest