Size: Discover 'n Grow|Change

on November 15, 2012
We are so happy we bought this Discover 'n Grow jumperoo, even though there weren't many reviews available then. We took our 4-month old son to the store and had him try a few, and this one was the obvious winner. We liked it the best for the following reasons:

1 - The seat is deeper and does a much better job of supporting him. He has had amazing head control since birth, but in some of the other jumperoos with shallower seats, his body flopped around in them more and I didn't feel like I'd be able to walk more than 2 feet away in case he would fall over and hit his head. We saw support pillows being sold in the stores to address that problem, but why buy something else if you don't have to? The seat on this FP jumperoo is perfect for support and seems to be very comfortable for him--he'll spend up to an hour in it just playing and bouncing away.

2 - This jumperoo is much more responsive to movement and is a lot "bouncier" than some of the others we saw. In fact, the jumperoos at our son's day care aren't nearly as springy, and he's very blah about them at day care. But when he's home and gets in this one, he immediately lights up and is all smiles. The bounciness would be something to consider, though, if your baby doesn't have great head and body control yet--I could see how it might be too much for some babies, especially if they aren't all about being on the move all the time. For ours, though, this one is perfect.

3 - The toys and bright colors immediately caught his attention at the store and at home they continue to keep him interested. He loves gazing at the light-up keyboard, playing with the monkey and penguin, grabbing the rings, trying to grab the bee and bird, etc. The toys are in a couple of little groupings that almost create little "stations", so when he gets tired of one station, we just turn his seat to the next one and he's happily entertained for another 15-30 minutes. The sounds and music are also great--they respond to his movement, so the more he bounces, the more he hears the music, which in turn makes him excited and he bounces even more!

4 - There are 3 levels of height adjustment, so it should last him a long time. We have it on the lowest setting and he's about 26.5 inches tall right now; we have a pillow underneath him because the tips of his toes barely brush the floor, but he won't need the pillow for much longer.

Especially after seeing his reaction to the day care jumperoos, we couldn't be happier with our purchase of this one. If your baby responds well to lots of movement, then you won't go wrong with this one.
22 comments|163 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 12, 2014
This is a wonderful activity center for toddlers. Adjustable it provides entertainment for babies, from first sitting up through early walking ages. Musical, attractive, engaging and good exercise -- it's rightfully popular.
This model is actually the second Fisher-Price jumperoo I've purchased. First came the Fisher-Price Rainforest Jumperoo, the original model introduced several years ago, the one with vertical supporting poles and a circular base. My grandson loved it and then so did his mother, my daughter. Thus it ended up in their home and a replacement for Grandma's House was in order. As my wife didn't want exactly the same model, I next purchased this one for roughly the same price. We are very pleased with both.
So what are the differences? In the original, the Rainforest Jumperoo, the vertical supports are more rigid. This one, the Rainforest Friends, has a smaller, more triangular base, with curved supporting poles. This design is more flexible, with all the pieces moving together. Its looser configuration allows the seat to move somewhat back and forth as well as up and down, a smoother, less jerky movement. This one has a green hard plastic palm frond for dangling the teether/toy as opposed to a felt frond with a plastic rib for the original. Other than that they are VERY similar.
Other reviewers have complained that this model is dangerous, that their child's safety was at issue. Obviously its loose jointed construction is intentional. Being an engineer I checked out this model thoroughly for any tendency to break due to wear, to come unexpectedly apart or to topple due to vigorous use. I find none at risk. My grandson gives ours a thorough workout with the pieces moving easily in harmony.
Both jumperoos are fine products. If my other daughter ever gives us cause to buy yet another, I would buy this one.
on October 24, 2013
I wanted to write a review because I relied a lot on them when buying our second bouncer. We had the rainforest jumperoo with my daughter two years ago and all the reviews on it were still so good that I almost duplicated my purchase for our five and a half month old son. Instead, we decided to try this new bouncer and are glad we did. He likes it just as much as our daughter liked hers and I think the toys on here are actually more interactive. It took him two weeks of sitting in it for 5-10 minute increments to realize that the chair bounced and he could actually bounce around. He now loves it and will squeal for 20-30 minutes easily spinning around in the chair. The hanging red monkey is his new best friend and the chew toy frog has been slobbered on a lot already. Although I agree that the base is not quite as sturdy, I'm in no way nervous that he is going anywhere. You really cant go wrong with either one....pick which theme you like the best :)
on September 28, 2013
This is the perfect Jumperoo for my kid. He absolutely loves it, especially the floating red bird, and I have definitely seen improvements from when I first purchased this to know because of it (he's able to reach and hold the bird now, before he was only able sort of reach for it but not touch it and grab it).

The only things that bug me a little bit is that the butterfly that is attached to the elephant face sometimes get stuck, and doesn't really go up and down smoothly so when he touches it, it doesn't draw him in with the thought that, "Oh, if I push or tug on this it will move." The second thing about this jumperoo is the green frog that dangles. I'm not sure if it's just supposed to be an item that the baby picks up and puts in his mouth or what, but my baby has had no interest in it at all. It also just hangs so all he sees is the red cord that is attached to the frog. It's sort of useless in a way since it just dangles and most of the time he can't even see it or know that it's their compared to the other items that are connected to the jumperoo. Not only that, compared to the bee and the bird, it's a useless spot for the frog. In fact, he's more interested in the zebra stripe cloth that covers the springs...

Other than those minor things it was still a good buy and I'm glad I got it when it was on sale rather than buying it at its full current price.

The only real big issue I have is that this thing is HUGE. It takes up a lot of space, and it doesn't put away nicely at all. It doesn't fold or anything, you have to literally take it apart to put it away if you don't have a lot of space like me. I'm glad I have a second room that i'm able to put all his stuff in but it's still pretty annoying move it from the second room to the living room to let him play in it.

Oh well, my annoyance doesn't really beat his joy from it so I guess my cons are pretty minor in comparison. :)

------------------------------------

UPDATE

My little guy is now 7 months old, and about a month and a half ago he started to become very interested in the frog. It has definitely helped refine his motor skills along the lines of picking things up. Now the only thing he's not too interested has been the elephant mirror/butterfly combo, but let's hope that changes over time!

The bulkiness of the item is sometimes still a bother but still such a good product. He loves the heck out of it still!
on November 28, 2013
Only issue I have with it is that the jumper is very wobbly due to not sitting flush the with floor. Each of the three legs have two rubber feet, and not all the rubber feet touch the ground due to the way the metal rods all fit together. We've however been using it this way, and it hasn't caused a problem.
on June 12, 2013
I bought this jumper based on the good reviews. Ours may have been defective though because when put together, the base was too wobbly. All six pieces of the stand wobbled with each bounce. It didn't even sit flat on our floor. So I'm returning it and bought the rainforest jumper instead. That one is much better.
on April 22, 2016
My son loves it. Unfortunately even at 6 months he's a little guy and still can't quite put his feet flat on the floor even at the smallest setting so I stick a pillow underneath him. It has so many little activities. The chair swivels. He was jumping like crazy the second we put it him in it. He started playing in it around 4-4 1/2 months I would say. But he has ALWAYS had very good neck control so I wouldn't recommend this till your child is big enough to support their neck (obviously).Was a little tricky to set up. The nice part is the seat cushion can be taken off to wash, which is great considering almost every time he goes in that thing he has an explosion, I think it's from bending the knees so much, lol.
review image
on January 1, 2015
Omg this is an awesome jumperoo! It was super easy to assemble. My 6 month old loves it. The seat doesn't spin around easily but he has no problem playing with all the toys. He bounces for hours and is so entertained. It music can be set to play with motion. It's not annoying like some other kid toys. I am absolutely happy that I purchased this item.
review image
on September 30, 2014
Our little girl has so much fun in her jumperoo! She is a little short for her age so for the first couple months we had to put the top of an ottoman underneath to get her to the right height to use this, I do wish it had one setting lower. The batteries die pretty quick but she still has fun in it without all the lights and sounds I would highly recommend
on November 11, 2014
My daughter started to use this around 4 months with a couple of books under it (she couldn't reach the floor, but she's also about 25% for height). At 6 months she still loves this. She can keep herself content and plays with all of the different features, from the rolling butterfly ball to the hanging bee to the discs, etc. Each day she seems to be into something else so has not yet come close to being bored. At 6 months she can finally reach the floor on her own (she's ~25").

This is very simple to put together and seems to be a good quality. We have also hung stroller toys from the top part, so you could actually add a few toys of your own if you wanted (although I don't think you need to). There are also a ton of colors which keeps my daughter interested and will eventually let me teach her colors too.

I recommend this as it has a variety of different features that won't get boring and seems to be well made. I love how much my daughter loves this. If you're on the fence, purchase it!