Fisher-Price Disney's Jake and The Never Land Pirates - Jake's Musical Pirate Ship Bucky
Product Packaging: Standard PackagingChange
Price:$29.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on May 15, 2012
I bought this item for my grandson for his 4th birthday. It was a hit!! He carries it everywhere with him. He has dropped it and it has held up, the sails are attached well, the cannon (missiles) shoot about 18 inches but without any force so friends or babies would not be hurt if one hit them. The crocodile pops out, the parrot has many perches on which to sit, and the button for the beginning of the song is easy and handy. All in all this turned out to be much better than I imagined. The educational value is what you make of it. If you are an involved parent there is rich vocabulary to be taught here. My grandson is now proficient in all the terms regarding the pirate ship, but most educational is the creative play that it has inspired. I did buy additional pirates to play with and the two items have been wonderful. I would highly recommend this for any little boy.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
TOP 100 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon September 23, 2012
Jake and the Neverland Pirates is a popular show on the Disney Channel. While it is not my daughter's absolute favorite show (she is 3 and she prefer Mickey Mouse Clubhouse) she is proof that the show is not just for boys. The show is very age appropriate and emphasizes good deeds and team work. In the show, Jake (the main good guy) has a parrot (Skully) and his trusty ship, Bucky.

The toy "Jake's Musical Pirate Ship Bucky" is a sure fire hit for any fan of the show. It features a fireable water cannon, multiple sounds, and a deployable "tic-tock-croc" all of which will bring smiles to a small face.

Notes-

- Bucky features three wheels so that this ship will roll across a floor.

- Comes with batteries

- Only one volume level

- Comes with Jake and Skully, but other characters are sold separately.

- Seems to be well built with the one exception of the mast which seems to be a little loose. I don't expect it to fall off, but it is not as solid as I expected.

- Skully and Jake have small openings on their bottoms which allows them to stand firmly on series of pegs on Bucky. It may not sound like much, but this keeps the characters from falling off of Bucky.

Final Verdict - While I am slightly concerned by the looseness of the mast we are very pleased by "Jake's Musical Pirate Ship Bucky" it has plenty of features that will keep it in your child's heavy rotation.

4 1/2 Stars
TOP 100 REVIEWERon September 1, 2012
Product Packaging: Standard PackagingVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My 4 year old is an enduring Thomas the Tank Engine fan, but his second love has been the Disney animated series "Jake and the Neverland Pirates" which is based in Peter Pan's Neverland (and Peter Pan guests in a couple of episodes). The only problem was that they only had one season for a long time, and he grew tired of it after frequent re-watches. However, recently there have been quite a few new episodes featuring Jake, Izzy, Cubby, Skully, Captain Hook, Smee, Sharky, and Bones that he has absolutely loved. My toddler likes it for the music, which is very upbeat and fun.

So you can guess how ecstatic my 4 year old was when he opened the Amazon box and found...BUCKY!!! I couldn't get the ties off the back of the packaging fast enough to get Bucky out for him. He played with it all night, then took Bucky, Jake, and Skully to bed. After that, he and Bucky were inseparable, he even begged me to let him take Bucky to school. I know that this is one toy he is going to play with for a long time.

Then, at the end of the week, I was an IDIOT. I had my toddler in the bath, and my son asked if he could get in. I told him he could once I got the little girl out. I was so busy drying her off that I didn't realize...he took Bucky into the bath with him!! Bucky must have been submerged a full two minutes before I plucked him out. I touched the button that makes the sounds...nothing. I felt so awful!

We took out the 3 AA batteries that Bucky comes with and left him out to dry. 48 hours later I put the batteries in and...IT WORKS!! I am SO RELIEVED! I am sure that the designers of this toy anguished over whether to make the first Bucky a floating boat for the bath or a high-end toy with electronics, and I'm glad they made it a high-end toy. There are so many responses when you push the gold doubloon button that it never seems repetitious. There is a ship's bell sound, and lots of music and Jake talking, such as "Woohoo!" and "Set sail for pirate island!" (followed by music) and "Water cannons, go!" and "Bucky, turn right!". It's great because my toddler loves it too.

THE GOOD

- Lots of different, fun inspiring voices and sounds from the TV series
- Jake and Skully to play with on the ship, both have slots on the bottom so you can perch them around the ship where there are pegs
- NEARLY INDESTRUCTIBLE!! Bucky has been dropped, wrestled over, and submerged, and everything still works great and no broken parts!
- Interactive features: three gold doubloon buttons: one for sound, one to launch the missles, and one to open the port with Tick Tock the crocodile.
- Comes with 3 missles, which have a large rounded front and launch with enough force to be fun but not enough to hurt anyone caught in the crosshairs
- Has rollers on the bottom so he can 'sail' around your house (just make sure to have the 'water - bad!' conversation!)
- When rolled, Bucky rocks back and forth like he is sailing
- Back door to put the characters in

I don't really see any bad things - it's pricey but I think the value is there. You can get other characters such as Fisher-Price Disney's Jake and The Neverland Pirates - Jake, Izzy and Cubby Pirate Pack and other pieces such as Fisher-Price Disney's Jake and The Neverland Pirates - Hook's Battle Boat. I need to get Fisher-Price Disney's Jake and The Neverland Pirates - Jake, Hook and Croc Pirate Pack so that my 4 year old can act out Captain Hook being devious!

I have attached a video so you can see the size and hear some of the sound effects (my son uses Jake to push down on the gold doubloon).
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 12, 2013
I got this for my three year old who loves Jake and the Neverland Pirates. He has no issues with it obviously. I on the other hand am a bit disappointed that it only comes with a Jake and Scully figurine. Cubby and Izzy are just represented in the porthole pictures on the side. Also, the door that holds in the Tick Tock Crock falls off easily.
The cannon works fine (you'll loose the little projectiles soon enough), and it has plenty of little sayings when you push the button.
It's a bit pricey for what you get, and if you want the full experience you'll have to buy Cubby and Izzy seperately, but I'd still get it knowing all this because of how much my kid likes the show.

Note: If you buy the Fisher-Price Jolly Roger ship with Captain hook, do not use the projectiles from this ship in the Jolly Roger's cannon. They are slightly bigger, and can break it so it doesn't fire.
on June 12, 2012
My three year old son was so excited to open up Bucky! It is bigger than I thought it was going to be and was pleased.(Be careful when removing ties. One is connected to tic toc's door and will pull the door loose. I wish I had noticed how it was tied before I tried to pull the tie through :/) My kiddo loves hearing all the sayings and tic toc popping out. He loves that he can position Jake and Scully in different positions on the ship. THE CANNON IS AWESOME! It shoots a few feet and is pretty easy to use once the little hands figure out how to turn the water cannon to get it to go in. There are holes to hold two of the three cannons and the third cannon can stay in the cannon. My son and I both love the fact that Bucky is on wheels that purposely make him wobble as if he's on water when pushed! This is a cute detail!

I gave it a three for educational value because my son is very into pretend play and Bucky, Jake and Scully speak to that part of him. The nest pole (not sure what it's called) wobbles around. It feels like it could break if a child were to pick Bucky up by this part. The slide is too short. The figures basically just fall but my kiddo doesn't care. I Tic toc does not make any sounds when he pops out. One of the sayings is a ticking clock but is independent from tic toc popping out. Overall, I love Bucky. Not thrilled with the price but was manageable knowing my son would play with this toy for a long time.
on August 2, 2013
This is a cute toy (our daughter, who watches Jake on Disney Jr a few times a week, loved it), but the sound quit working after just a few weeks. The cannon still works, but the sound is such an important part of the "experience," it prevented me from giving it more than 2 starts.
VINE VOICEon December 3, 2012
I paid close to 50 for this thing and am very disappointed. My son absolutely could not live without it, so I pretty much had to buy it, but was really hoping for more. The ship looks nice enough, and the Jake figure it comes with is nicely detailed, but the ship does almost nothing at all. It only has one compartment inside, and is pretty much what you see. The crocodile comes out the side and the mast spins in a circle. But nothing else. No multiple hidden compartments like on the Imaginext toys, no cool turning and twisting and moving things. Nothing unexpected or worth exploring. My 3.5 year old was bored in about an hour. Worst part is, it's called a musical ship and that TV show does have some great music, but none of that is here. It plays about 3 seconds of music - literally, 3 seconds. And not the good music from the show. It might be worth the money if it actually played 30 seconds of one of the songs they sing on the show, but it doesn't. So I wouldn't really call it musical. I don't think 3 seconds qualifies as music; just a burst of noise. I wouldn't mind if I'd paid maybe 25 for it, but paying 40 or 50 bucks for this is just what I'd have to call a waste of money. Maybe a younger child would like it better, but for an almost-4 year old, it just doesn't do enough.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
My son really loves Jake and the neverland pirates, and this versión of Bucky is the coolest ever.
review image
on July 27, 2012
I cannot for the life of me figure out why there are no Jake and the Never Land Pirate toys that sail! THE CHARACTERS ARE PIRATES!

My almost 4-year old really loves JatNLP. First, we bought the big "Jake's Musical Pirate Ship Bucky," which cannot go in the water. My son loves it, but is heartbroken that it doesn't go in water. Then, we bought "Hook's Battle Boat," which sinks in water.

Finally, I found "Splashin' Bucky Bath Item," and we thought, "Hooray! Finally a Bucky my son can take into the bath!"

Alas. It's only half a toy. It's meat to stick on the wall, not sail. Imagine a 3-year old's heartbreak when he opened the package and found only half a ship, with the other half just suction cups. He called it "stupid" and asked us to send it back. He finally stuck it to our sliding glass door - and five minutes later it fell, all by itself. What the hell kind of piece of crud is this thing, anyway? I feel swindled.

Why is it so hard for Fisher-Price or Disney to make an actual sailing Bucky? These are SHIPS. It is not crazy for our child to imagine he should be able to sail a toy pirate ship on water!

As for the Musical Bucky, my son really loves it, but it would be nice if the bell actually rang. Or moved.

From now on I am not spending another dime on JatNLP toys unless I see them in person, for myself, and get confirmation that they a)are what they say the are, and b)can sail on water.

(X-Posted at "Splashin' Bucky Bath Item" and "Hook's Battle Boat" as well as emailed to FP and Disney.)
on December 14, 2014
My 4 year old grandson was thrilled to receive this toy! He was really into Jake at the time. Now is he is 5 and still plays with it, but not as much. He usually has it interacting with his dinosaurs and other toys. It is well made and the only complaint I have is that he wants to take in the bathtub and can't understand why he can't do that. Maybe I should just let him but other reviewers said it wasn't made for water use so I haven't.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations