Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Fisher-Price Dora The Explorer Fantastic Gymnastics Dora
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

VINE VOICEon October 14, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My kids are obsessed with Dora. My oldest has been for like three years, but my youngest has just been bit by the Dora bug and is constantly talking about her. Fantastic Gymnastics Dora has become her new baby. She carries her everywhere and considers her to be her child.

It's adorable.

The problem is that this really isn't an interactive toy and so, because of that little glitch, my daughters playing with it has caused it to not work well. Yes, Dora doesn't like being handled too much and if she is she gets thrown off her game and fails to perform. Basically, you need to press her button and then back up. Now, because of actually being played with, Dora cannot do her routine because she's apparently off track or something. She doesn't come up far enough and she cannot complete her routine. Her arms aren't in the right position apparently and there really isn't a way for me to get her to work right. So now, she is basically my daughter's cuddle buddy (she's thick and bulky and none-to-cuddly but she doesn't mind much). It's sad because this was a really neat idea but the execution is poor.

I mean, why make a toy that really cannot be played with?

I can't explain to my two-year-old that she can't touch Dora. Dora even asks for help, but a two-year-old doesn't really know how to help that well. Her song is cute and her routine, while it was working right, was nice enough, but she actually doesn't do all that much and she gets rather redundant. My kids don't want to watch her for more than a minute. They want to play with her, and this Dora isn't meant to be played with.
44 comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon September 27, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My daughter was beside herself to try out the new Fantastic Gymnastics Dora. Dora did not disappoint and everyone in our family loves to watch her routine. Dora has to be put in one of four simple positions and then one has to push the star button on Dora's chest. When Dora is put on her back with her arms down and her button is pushed she performs a "warm-up" sequence and then starts her floor routine which includes leg lifts, a backbend, a backbend with kicks, a handstand, and a handstand split. When Dora is placed on her back with her arms up she will count off while doing "Toe Touches". My daughter especially enjoys "coaching" Dora during this exercise. When Dora is placed on her tummy with her arms up she will raise herself up into a "Push-Up" position. When Dora is placed on her tummy with her arms down she will raise up into a "Split" and then ask "Will you help me stretch my arms up?" The child can then move Dora's arms into the upright position. Dora will then say "Hold my hands and lift me up to check my super split move." Hold Dora by the hands and lift her while she's in the split position and she will do her special "Super Splits!" As a reminder once Dora is placed into the correct position one must always remember to push the star on her chest to activate the next moves. For best performance place Dora on a hard, flat surface and if she malfunctions she can be re-set by turning her OFF and then ON again using the ON/OFF switch. My daughter squeals with delight and says "She's doing it, She's doing it!" so we feel like this Dora is perfect for your little Dora fan.
66 comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon October 14, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Gymnastics Dora was opened with giggles and glee from my 4 year old daughter, but this was short-lived. The doll is somewhat heavy with a thick plastic body. The Dora doll did not perform at first, she would only lay still and talk. I thought perhaps it was the battery, which I replaced, but to our dismay she still only talked and did not perform or sing. Aside from the routine, I told my daughter perhaps Dora only talked. She outwitted me by pointing to the musical notes on the box and said yes she is supposed to sing. My daughter (and I) became frustrated with it - she handled it differently than I by giving the doll a time out, huffed and walked away. Then out of the blue, after pressing the star button yet again, it began to perform and even sing. I was disappointed with the routine, it was something to watch but not really interact with, the routine became redundant and said "thanks for helping" when she wasn't playing with it at all. It has nearly no learning value, aside from counting leg kicks, with mechanical grinding sounds as she moves with no-volume controlled talking and singing. Only nice thing I can say about it is that it does seem to work on carpet. To sum it up in my daughters words about this doll, "not a big fan," sorry,I wouldn't recommend it either.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This item was an instant hit in our house for our daughter aged 5 years old (she is also a Dora fan and budding gymnast). From the time she opened it, she played with it for over 90 minutes non-stop. The instruction sheet is fairly simple with 4 key components that trigger certain actions (4 routines). For example, you must specifically lay her on her back with her arms over her head, and that will yield a routine, with audio interaction up to 40 phrases, when you press the star on her chest. It was fairly simple and intuitive for our 5 year old to figure out in a few minutes. Aside from the routine, our daughters seems to like carrying the doll around though it is bulky and heavy.

Build quality appears decent to the touch. However, I do have concern regarding durability. The doll is constructed of heavy duty plastic best described as thick. This material coupled with the design makes the toy impact resistant for sure. But, the arms only turn one way and the instructions specifically indicate that turning the arms the wrong way will result in damage to the toy (not applicable to legs by the way). I suspect that is due to internal plastic gearing in the arm joints. Well, the problem is that that 5 year old's may forget this important piece of information. I had to repeatedly instruct my daughter to only turns the arms one way. She learned after a few minutes of instruction and seems to be ok with that restriction. Overall, the toy strikes me as durable, with regular play, for over a year. Beyond that, it's anyone's guess frankly due to the arm and leg gearing. There were also instances when the toy did not perform routines as indicated. We followed the instructions and turned the switch off and then on to reset and it worked fine. The toy will work best on a hard flat surface.

The toy requires 4 AA batteries, which are included (unlike the mat in the picture, which is not included). The packaging requires heavy duty scissors or wire cutters and it would be nice if frustration free packaging was available. So, be prepared. The price point, in my humble opinion, seems to be too high and like another reviewer, the price at $15 lower is a better target. In short, the product seems over priced to me unless you really have a big time Dora fan in the house.
VINE VOICEon September 30, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Gymnastics? What hasn't Dora the Explorer done? What's next when she grows up? Charlie's Angels? This is a fun, fairly good size performing toy that would make an excellent Christmas gift.

These talking, walking, shaking little robots are everywhere nowadays, and their popularity surging. We have Barney from way back, Mickey, Po/Kung Fu Panda. Scooby, Santa, Rudolf, etc. My girls love them, and having grown up with Dora, Boots and Diego, this one is a big hit, too.

From toe to fingertip of solid plastic, she's over a foot; big brown eyes, runs on 4 AA's; her tights feature a center star(Estrella- sorry!) which when pushed activates her. The write-up says she speaks over 40 phrases(we're still working up to that), but she sure can talk, and with her typical, sounds like Dora, positive, "Vamanos, let's go" attitude.

She performs 4 full routines made up of 7 moves: leg up, back up, leg straight, tripod of head and arms, headstand, front push-up, and splits. Besides talking, there's a little bit of Dora music. This all coincides with her dvd, not included, "Dora's fantastic Gymnastic Adventure".

My 8 year old's beyond Dora; although, she was a major fan in toddler and pre-school era. My 6 year old likes Diego better, but both girls play with this, usually together without fighting over it.

Batteries included; ready to go out of the box. Wire cutter needed to remove ties. Box states for 3 and over. Watch video on Amazon sight or at Fisher-Price or in the store by scanning the box app with smartphone.

Our family loves Dora, Boots, Swiper and the gang. My only gripe: price needs to be $10-15 lower; however, take a look at the video, see what you think, and if you can afford it and have a major Dora the Explorer at home, maybe just maybe, Santa can bring it. It's cute.
on October 14, 2012
This doll does wonderful tricks that my 5 year-old loves! However, be aware that this doll works best on hard floors which can be a bit noisy when ler legs and body land (makes a slamming noise). Also, Dora asks for "help" to perform some tricks so she is not 100% independent. Overall, my daughter and I love it! She loves to show the doll off to any visitors (adults and children) who are just as amazed as she is with the tricks Dora can perform.
on December 30, 2012
This was the one thing my daughter asked for this year. It broke the first time she played with it. She instantly quit playing with it and feels all bad about it ... this is just wrong. this toy is not made properly and now my kid feels like she did something bad. I'm a bit ticked, honestly. besides it being very breakable, it's clonky/heavy, super repetitive in the "thanks for helping" and isn't very cuddly on top of being way overpriced. feeling quite jipped on this one. contacting the company. The doll worked literally like once and now she just lies there...clicking...and saying thanks for helping! resetting it does nothing. this thing's a nightmare.
on November 27, 2012
My advice to you is to take this out of the box and completely figure out how it works before giving it to your little one at Christmas. It's certainly not complicated, but the ties to the box - holy cow! Took me forever to get it out of the box! Otherwise, it's really cute. I'm sure my granddaughter is going to love it.
on May 2, 2013
I bought this after Fisher Price bombarded the commercial time during Dora the Explorer, thus making my daughter go insane over this OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALIST DOLL. The commercial made it seem as though Gymnist Dora would be doing some gymnastic moves like hand stands and flips. No. You pay all this money for your kid to make Dora flip and move.

I figured, if Elmo can do it--so can Dora. Not the case. Dora is obviously in beginners class and the most she can do On her own is kick her feet and raise her arms. Good thing this was a gift because had it been my money, it be back on Amazon's shelves!
on January 17, 2014
My daughter has been asking for this since last Christmas. It sold out everywhere and we couldn't get it for her. We'll thus year once again, she asked for it again. I paid a high price for it but I had no choice. Overall the doll is okay but a bit overrated. On the other hand. My 2 year old and 4 year old love it. It is made very sturdy and good quality.

See 1 answered question