5.0 out of 5 stars Great Learning Skates!
Published on July 11, 2011 by THuffman

Published 8 months ago by M. NGUYEN

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Learning Skates!, July 11, 2011
This review is from: Fisher-Price Grow-with-Me 1,2,3 Roller Skates (Toy)
My daughter got these for her third birthday (my only gripe is that they, like anything else not pink, are categorized as "boys" toys) and she loves them. She was able to use them right out of the box and moved from setting 1 to setting 2 very quickly. She is looking forward to learning to skate like her big brother! She is small for her age and these fit her size 5/6 foot very well. I think she is going to get a lot of use from them in the next few years. An excellent purchase for any child, regardless of gender!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and clever invention, October 19, 2011
This review is from: Fisher-Price Grow-with-Me 1,2,3 Roller Skates (Toy)
These skates are fun and clever; kudos to whoever invented the mechanism that allows you to change settings between no wheels rolling (walking mode), forward only (toddler can push forward and not risk one foot rolling away behind them), or forward and backward rolling (normal skating).

These are excellent skates for puttering around the apartment. Our son is not quite 4 yet, so he wears the skates over a pair of socks and shoes to get a snug fit. If they are being used on a hard surface like hardwood floor or parking lot, I'd recommend helmet, knee and elbow pads. Puttering around on the carpet is actually doable in these skates. You should let your child try to skate without holding onto you though, so their hands and arms are free to move around and help them keep balance- my son seemed more likely to fall while he was holding onto my arm than when he was just holding his arms out for balance. You will want to stay close to spot/catch your child if they slip an odd way on a slippery floor or stumble otherwise (it takes a bit of leg muscle/control to keep feet moving in the same direction when the skate wheels are fully unlocked), but the skates are generally sound.

He can also put them on and off by himself which is a plus for convenience and confidence.

Excellent beginner skates for small children to get comfortable moving around on skates. I'm not sure I'd bring my child out to a skating rink on these- too much traffic, but good around the house.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love them, October 12, 2011
This review is from: Fisher-Price Grow-with-Me 1,2,3 Roller Skates (Toy)
My 2 year old boy LOVES these skates. We have the front wheels locked and he just kind of walks around in them, but he thinks its great fun. It helps with his balance and soon we can unlock the wheels and let him go. My husband wants him to ice skate this winter (heaven help my nerves). I figured these would be a good way to introduce that activity to him. When he isn't wearing them he drives them around the house. He can even put them on himself. I think they are something that we will get long time use out of.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW. I rarely leave 5-star reviews, but..., March 31, 2013
Connie (Deer Creek Mesa, CO) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Fisher-Price Grow-with-Me 1,2,3 Roller Skates (Toy)
We bought these for my four-year old boy. He is a timid child and was only theoretically interested in roller skating. I knew that as soon as he felt terra firma slip out from under him, he would immediately throw in the towel.

These skates were perfection in helping him bridge that divide between "I want to skate" and "I don't want to fall". We put them on Setting #1 (front wheels locked) and let him tromp around in the house until he felt confident. Then it was off to the tennis court where he insisted on moving the setting to #2 (front wheels roll forward but not backward). There was one initial slip and cry, but after that he started a steep but fast climb on the learning curve. He had so much fun and had no trouble figuring out how to stand himself up after falling.

We're just dipping our toes into Setting #3 (wheels roll freely) but it's been nothing but an enjoyable phase for us. Dad and I are now shopping for our own skates to make this a family affair.

I rarely give anything 5 stars, even less often with kid gear which is almost always shoddy quality. These skates, though, are A+++++.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap quality, adjustable wheel lock moves involuntarily, strap holder sucks, November 15, 2013
This review is from: Fisher-Price Grow-with-Me 1,2,3 Roller Skates (Toy)
I bought these for my twin boy and girl who are turning 5 in a few weeks. These skates are the worst skates I've ever seen. I'm an expert roller skater who grew up working in a skating rink so I know what good skates are supposed to be like. Granted these were relatively cheap for around $22-25 each, but for just a little more you can buy an actual pair of quad-roller skates that have BEARINGS and real urethane wheels! These skates require that your child wears a reasonably supportive shoes and then strap these skates OVER your child's shoes. There is a velcro strap that is supposed to hold your child's shoes in place. The length of the skates can be adjusted by squeezing two little protruding plastic pins at the bottom of the soleplate. The width cannot be adjusted so if your child's shoes are too wide then you won't be able to use these skates. My kids were sized 9 and 10 in toddler's shoes and they were able to fit tightly into the skates.

There are no ball bearings on these skates and the wheels are made of cheap plastic that does not grip the floor at all. If you are skating inside a skating rink, these wheels make it almost impossible to actually skate. My kids ended up pretty much just running with them on. The so called 1-2-3 adjustable "feature" is meant to allow you to choose how much friction is applied to the front wheels of the skates by sliding a plastic tab located on the bottom of the skate near the front wheels. At level 1, the front wheels are locked by two metal plates that protrude out to touch the inside of the front wheels. At level 2, the two metal plates are slightly retracted and your child has some any ability to move the wheels. However it makes a constant clicking loud noise as your child tries to move in this mode because the metal plates are hitting the front wheel. At level 3, the metal plates are supposed to be completely retracted and your child can at least move the wheels freely (which is still not at all like wheels on a set of bearings, remember these wheels have NO bearings). Now here comes the worst part about these skates. What the adjustable sliding plastic tab is supposed to do is to control how far out the metal plates would protrude into the front wheels. You are supposed to ONLY be able to move this tab when the child is on the skates putting weight on top. You would expect that once you select a specific level such as level 3, the tab would remain in that position. Noooo, that would make too much sense. Whoever designed this stupid tab must have never actually tried to skate in these skates. In practice, this stupid tab constantly moves itself back and forth as your child is trying to skate such that if you left the setting on level 3, it would move itself to level 2 and level 1 as your child skates. Well at level 1 the front wheels would stop because the metal plates would protrude way out into the front wheels. What do you think would happen if you were skating forward and your front wheels lock up? Yes, the inertia of you moving forward will push your body forward while your skate would stop and thus you will fall forward down to the ground. I tried to remedy this stupid involuntary movement of the front wheel lock by jamming some wet napkins into the plastic tab so that it cannot slide back and forth easily. Nope, that didn't do the trick and every 2-3 minutes I would have to help my child slide the tab back to level 3 because it would involuntarily move to level 2 or level 1. It ruined our whole night of skating because frankly the children cannot get the front wheels to actually move freely for longer than 2 or 3 minutes before the stupid tab slides forward and either slow or stop the front wheels completely. I got so fed up I had to pay for rental skates so my kids can actually get something that has free moving wheels.

I guess if all you want your kids to do is to walk in these skates, then by all means buy these. Or you can save yourself some money and just let your kids wear their shoes onto the skating floor. For pete's sake you are going to the skating rink to skate and even if your kids are learning how to skate, putting them in these poor quality skates would only ruin their learning because there is absolutely no skills that can be learned on these skates other than how to walk on skates. Your children will not be able to actually GLIDE on these skates, which is one of the fundamental reason for owning a pair of skates. Anyhow, here's my advice after thoroughly trying these skates: if you have a very small child (3 years and under) and the child cannot walk or run reliably on his/her own, these skates are fine because they are just like wearing no skates at all. If your child is 4 years or older, do not buy these because your child now has more than enough motor skills to be able to learn how to skate properly using a regular pair of quad skates. I bought these skates thinking the fact that they can be adjusted to different shoe sizes was cool, but now I retract that thinking completely. These aren't even real skates because they have no boots. These are more like strap-ons. I'm going to buy my kids some real quad skates with bearings and urethane wheels so that they can learn how to skate properly. I know they will outgrow the skates quickly but I'll just have to deal with reselling the used skates later. There's no point in trying to save some money by using these sucky strap-on skates if they are not going to actually allow your kids to glide in them. What's even worse is that these skates are accidents waiting to happen every few minutes as the stupid adjustable plastic tab stops the front wheels. You have been warned!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for a learning toddler., August 19, 2012
This review is from: Fisher-Price Grow-with-Me 1,2,3 Roller Skates (Toy)
My 9 year old daughter had her birthday party at a skating rink this year and my younger daughter who just turned two wanted to skate. I didn't think about these in advance so we rented skates for her and she was miserable. The regular skates scared her. We decided to buy her these and she is thrilled. She feels safer since we can lock them to only go forward and she feels like a big girl since she gets to skate too. These are great for young learners.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, Finally!, October 5, 2013
This review is from: Fisher-Price Grow-with-Me 1,2,3 Roller Skates (Toy)
I ended up ordering these because I trust the Fisher-Price brand and they were plain skates!! The skates in my local store were sold as "girls" and "boys" with characters all over them. For heavens sake people, they are skates!!! Thank goodness for Fisher-Price and allowing my kid to be able to wear skates without an expression about gender roles.

The quality of the skates are wonderful.

Now, I'm off to shop for some men's toothpaste.

5.0 out of 5 stars great starter skates, June 19, 2012
This review is from: Fisher-Price Grow-with-Me 1,2,3 Roller Skates (Toy)
Bought these skates for my 4 year old granddaughter. She received a pair of roller blades also but has been wearing these Fisher Price, it's so much easier for her to learn with and she feels stable with them. Know she will be roller skating in no time! A great learning and lasting product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, March 3, 2013
This review is from: Fisher-Price Grow-with-Me 1,2,3 Roller Skates (Toy)
I purchased these skates for my 3 year old nephew who is just learning how to skate. The 3 adjustable stages really helps the child to gain confidence and takes out the fear of falling which then helps the child to learn how to skate. He only had the skates for a month and he is almost ready for the final stage. I would recommend these skates!

5.0 out of 5 stars Kids love them, January 29, 2013
This review is from: Fisher-Price Grow-with-Me 1,2,3 Roller Skates (Toy)
We bought one pair of these for our toddlers, and they became the hit of the party. They work well over the kids shoes and have different size settings. You can also adjust them to make them easier for beginners to use.

Fisher-Price Grow-with-Me 1,2,3 Roller Skates