5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent development toy!!
Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:19 Mins
Published on January 1, 2012 by N. Maki

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my favorite, but baby liked it
Published on July 27, 2012 by Leslie

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent development toy!!, January 1, 2012
N. Maki (Superior, WI) - See all my reviews
Length:: 0:19 Mins

My wife and I purchased this play mat for our 3 month old daughter, Maggie, and she absolutely loves it. Previously, Maggie would need to be constantly held, but now she will happily spend over an hour or more kicking and playing on this gym. Also, her hand-eye coordination has improved dramatically. I have included a short video of her playing on this gym for the first time. Highly recommended!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as versatile as I had hoped, April 14, 2012
My 2.5 month old immediately loved this product from day 1, and can be entertained for 30 mins-1 hr at a time! For that reason alone, I should be giving it 5 stars; however, from the perspective of a parent who does not have room for zillions of toys at home, I'm only giving it 3 stars because I was hoping it would replace a standard activity gym but it doesn't. The mat is too small for baby to do anything except lay on her back and look up at the mirror and the dangling toys, which is fine for now but not when she becomes more active and starts to roll and move around. It's also not great for tummy time because there's not enough interesting details on the mat to promote tummy time activities. As baby grows longer, the mirror will no longer be positioned correctly for her to view herself and to still kick the piano keys with extended legs. Perhaps I am expecting more longevity out of this toy than I should be, but I do not want to pay 50 bucks for something that lasts a couple months. It is also annoying to put away or even move from room to room-it basically has to be disassembled because the arch/piano/mat do not connect well together.

****UPDATE: My daughter is now 20 months old and I take back some of my previous criticisms and surmises. I have this toy still in her room with the keyboard swiveled up, and she will still occasionally come over to play music and dance a little. We've put our standard activity gym away long ago. I still don't think this mat replaces a standard activity gym (we had the Tiny Love Gymini Deluxe and she LOVED that thing as well) but hey, this one is still out while the other activity gym has been put away for for a year already.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute must have!!!!, November 11, 2013
This review is from: Fisher-Price Kick and Play Piano Gym, Discover 'N Grow (Baby Product)
Length:: 1:58 Mins

I have two other play mats but this by far is my favorite and Bryce loves this one the best so far. I uploaded pics of him at 6 weeks old playing with this. The arc with the toys on it mounts both above the baby when he/she is on their back or it mounts in front of them down low while doing tummy time. Not all babies like tummy time especially in the beginning and Bryce is no exception but he would do tummy time on this mat . It is well designed and I love that it will grow with him. When he is bigger and sitting up on his own I can flip the piano up so he can play it while sitting. I actually am probably going to purchase a second one to leave at the babysitters. DEFINITELY put this on your registry and if its not purchased it trust me it is well worth it. Shop around for the best price tho I paid around $36 dollars but the prices vary widely depending on where you look. And just a sidenote I am leaving this raving review on my own accord and with no incentives or kudos from Amazon or Fisher Price but I have definitely talked this up at several stores I was in when I saw others shopping for play mats. This is the ONE Moms Dads Grandmas etc... You wont be dissapointed!!! Im going to try and upload a video but the better quality one is on my you tube and I can't find it on my computer. But it will give you an idea. Keep in mind he is only 6 weeks in this video so he wasn't batting at the toys as much as he does now at 11 weeks.Not sure how to link the pictures of him that I uploaded but theres 6 or 7 of em.

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, kept baby occupied long enough to take a shower, November 17, 2013
While the baby was old enough to leave on his back and before he could roll over this kept him occupied long enough to sneak in a shower. The mirror is super popular, and the piano saw a lot of foot action. Even for the small window this toy lasts, it's worth it.

The mat is detachable so if your a-hole dogs mistake it for a puppy pad you can wash it, but it's slightly aggravating to remove.

Once the baby was old enough to roll over the arch became a hindrance he'd constantly get hung up on. When he became old enough to sit up, he was also old enough to topple over, and the orange mounds that hold the arch become a constant concern for the parent that would prefer their baby not bash their head on hard plastic. The piano still remains a hit, and I wish it was fully detachable.

Flaws aside, during those early months you'll appreciate the time it affords you. Get this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for blind babies, March 22, 2013
My 7 month old baby is blind, and this toy was recommended to me by a paediatric ophthalmologist. He absolutely loves it, will sit and play for hours on end. Would definitely recommend for any other parents of visually-impaired babies.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my favorite, but baby liked it, July 27, 2012
Bought this for my 3-month-old (now 6 months) because he liked to kick. I was a little disappointed initially because I thought the hanging toys would move while the music played, but they don't -- they just hang like any other overhead gym for baby to bat. Okay. Baby liked kicking and playing and looking in the mirror. I'm not sure he connected that his kicks were making the music play. There are some lights that also flash while the music plays, but he can't see them while lying down. Once he started sitting he LOVED the lights.

Little things that irritate me about this toy: first, in order to move the toy bar to the down position (for tummy time), you actually pull it out of the base and put it back in a different set of holes. You'd think it should just rotate up and down. Second, the toy bar does not lock into the base. This is annoying because if you want to move the toy, you naturally reach for the toy bar and end up pulling it out. Third, the round orange parts of the base (where the toy bar attaches) are hard plastic. During tummy time my baby rolled over for the first time and got stuck on one; now he's learning to sit but still unsteady, and I'm afraid he could tip over and hit his head.

Additionally the toy takes up a lot of space (which is why I constantly kept grabbing the toy bar to try to move it) and doesn't fold up for storage.

Overall, baby has enjoyed this toy. But if I could do it again I would just get something for him to kick in his crib. We already have a play gym, so the overhead toy bar was not something we needed. But again, as I said, the baby did like it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best toy ever!, April 22, 2013
I bought this toy for my son when he was 4 weeks old, since he was always kicking his crib. He loved it instantly! He played with it for 15 minutes the very first day, which for a 4 week old is a very long time! Since then we have used it almost daily. I love that it can be used for tummy time as well. My son is 8 months old now (and very long) and we have just put it away since he is rolling across the room and is more interested in rolling and crawling than kicking, but we got a lot of use out of it. As first time parents my husband and I have purchased a lot of toys for our son and many of which we hardly use, this one was well worth the price. I highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best play gym, October 23, 2011
Our baby loves to kick and move his legs, so after looking at dozens of play gyms, I wanted this one, but it wasn't out yet. We waited for it and are so glad we did. He LOVES it! The toys are great and varied, the mirror is a lot of fun for him, and the kick piano is genius. He is able to make his own music and it plays little songs (but not too long for Mom and Dad's ears) that keep him entertained. It also has lights on the piano. We also like the conversion to tummy time, which is not our son's favorite thing, but the toys and especially mirror help him stay on his belly just a little longer. I look forward to being able to flip the piano for when he is older and like that it will grow with him. For the same price as a lot of other play gyms (and less than some) you get all these features. We are very happy with our purchase. The battery life is really long, too, on AAs, which was a nice surprise for us. We've only changed them once in 3 months of daily use. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun for Baby and Helped with Constipation! (really!), July 20, 2012
Babe (santa cruz, ca United States) - See all my reviews
Our boy has loved this since he was 6 weeks old. His favorite part is looking up into the mirror and making faces/talking to himself. From the second he kicks his first key on the piano he is in constant motion for about an hour straight. Believe it or not, when he was having bad gas/constipation for a couple of weeks, we noticed that after putting him down on the mat and letting him kick and play, he was able to pass wind and go number 2 without a problem. So, not only was he having a blast, he felt better after! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, good variety, July 29, 2013
deevyah (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This is a really nice play mat, especially when the baby is kicking a lot. Our baby enjoyed this much more and for a lot longer compared to the Rainforest playmat, also by Fisher Price.

Fisher-Price Kick and Play Piano Gym, Discover 'N Grow