When I received the lantern, it turned off automatically after 10-15 seconds.
I noticed in reviews regarding this lantern, that others have experienced too short intervals before it turning off.

What does this is actually a stuck spring/lever on a sort of circuit breaker/timer.
The lantern is supposed to turn off automatically after roughly 3...
Published on May 27, 2011 by Thorbjørn

Like many of you reading this, my 3 year old and 5 year old children, LOVE playing with flashlights. However, they have broken many bulbs and switches in our normal flashlights due to hard use. So I was excited to find this "Kid-Tough" flashlight. I ordered two of them, one for each child.

I am sad to say after 24 hours, we will be returning both...
Published on August 25, 2010 by A. Buccie

4.0 out of 5 stars If your lantern turns off automatically, then this will fix it, May 27, 2011
This review is from: Fisher-Price Kid-Tough Explorers 2-in-1 Lantern (Toy)
When I received the lantern, it turned off automatically after 10-15 seconds.

The lantern is supposed to turn off automatically after roughly 3 minutes.
However, while in the box, this interval is lowered to 10-15 seconds so the batteries aren't drained by children trying the toy in the shop.

When you take the lantern out of the box, you have to release it from the cardboard bottom by twisting a weird plastic screw. This plastic screw reaches into the bottom of the lantern, and keeps the spring on the circuit breaker/timer depressed while in the store. When unfastening the plastic screw, the spring is supposed to flip away from the switch it was previously activating, thus raising the shut-down time to 3 minutes.

The big problem some of us have experienced is actually this spring having become weak or stuck to the plastic holding the circuit breaker/timer in place.

The fix is easy - just release the four screws holding the base together, split the lantern, and the circuit breaker/timer is the little black rectangular thingie held down by a screw that looks like it has a washer stuck to it.
Just stretch the spring away from the circuit breaker/timer.

And if you don't want the lantern to auto shut-off at all, just circumvent the circuit breaker/timer by soldering the wires running to it together.

When reassembling the lantern, just make sure you match the upper part the right way into the base: there are slides in the base, that the plastic glass has to fit onto. But it is dummy-work - if the lantern wont go from lantern to flashlight mode after assembly, then just release the screws and and re-orientate the upper part of the lantern (yeah, that's how I found out :-).

Otherwise, this is a sturdy toy, and I can only recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars My 3 year old adores this lantern, June 18, 2010
This review is from: Fisher-Price Kid-Tough Explorers 2-in-1 Lantern (Toy)
My son had developed a fear of the dark so I thought to get him a flashlight, but typical flashlights seemed too difficult to turn on and children's flashlights were too flimsy. This one was just right! It's both a spot light (what my son calls a giant flash light) for seeking Mommy out in the middle of the night and a lantern for when he wakes up and just needs a bit of light to feel secure. And of course he seeks out every dark room with it during the day to explore!

It is definitely durable. He's thrown it and dropped it plenty of times with no problems. My only concern is that there's no automatic off: when it's on, it's on (er, although sometimes it randomly shuts off). And it is BRIGHT. There are two brightness settings but there's barely a difference. It's either 1 LED, 3 LEDs, or off.

I recommend getting this lantern for fun or just to make your child feel more comfortable with the darkness!

1.0 out of 5 stars Durable, but Disappointing--flashlight shuts off in 3 minutes, August 25, 2010
A. Buccie (Mid Michigan Area, Michigan USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fisher-Price Kid-Tough Explorers 2-in-1 Lantern (Toy)

I am sad to say after 24 hours, we will be returning both flashlights. Both lights shut off by themselves in the time range of 2 minutes 50 seconds to the 3 minute mark each time.

My 5 year old discovered this and was very frustrated by this. He kept having to turn it back on and he didn't like to have it go out so fast when he was playing in the dark. My 3 year old has not noticed, because she turns it on and off so often that this doesn't happen to her.

This flashlight is not supposed to have an auto shut-off. If it did, I would think that 15 minutes would be a more suitable time period, not 3 minutes.

We replaced the supplied batteries with Duracell alkaline batteries and there was no difference, still shuts off in about 3 minutes. There are two light settings, low (one bulb) and high (3 bulbs on). Again, both flashlights shut off in about 3 minutes regardless of whether one or three bulbs are on.

In the instruction manual is the following quote..."If this product begins to operate erratically, you may need to reset the electronics. Turn the power off and then back on." Okay, not so great. With our two flashlights, this "erratic" behavior starts at 3 minutes each time. I don't call that erratic, I think this was designed to shutoff if overheating and the overheating starts close to 3 minutes each time on both flashlights!

This is unfortunate, because the flashlight does appear to be durable and probably would have lasted a long time. My 5 year old can easily change from lantern to spotlight mode, it is too tough for a 3 year old to do this alone.

I will try another durable flashlight that I found on Amazon. If we have better luck with another flashlight, I will post an addition to this review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute toy that is fun to play with, October 7, 2010
This review is from: Fisher-Price Kid-Tough Explorers 2-in-1 Lantern (Toy)
I bought this lantern for my four-year-old nephew and so far we're having a good time with it. I'm an outdoorsy person and am trying to introduce him to camping and fishing and so forth. Turns out that he likes carrying this lantern with him everywhere. The lantern works fine and has two brightness settings. The button on the front is easily usable for little fingers.

Just like any other toy, it will probably eventually break because he uses it so much but so far it seems to be holding up well. It is Fisher Price so I'm pretty confident in it. I've been told that his parents are a bit frustrated because he's using it to stay up at night under the covers :) I say, good for him!

1.0 out of 5 stars Shuts off, August 29, 2010
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Fisher-Price Kid-Tough Explorers 2-in-1 Lantern (Toy)
Bought two, had another two given as birthday gifts. Out of the four, only one would stay on. The other three would shut off on their own after less than 30 seconds. If your going to buy be sure to test it and make sure it stays on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, August 24, 2011
This review is from: Fisher-Price Kid-Tough Explorers 2-in-1 Lantern (Toy)
My 4 year old daughter loves this lantern/flashlight. It is really tough too! She's dropped it, stepped on it, kicked it, and it's survived and still looks brand new! The lantern is a little hard to push down-takes exactly equal pressure on both sides, but once I taught her that, it was fine. Also, automatically turns off which is a really nice feature and saves the batteries for when she has fallen asleep with it on. Great product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great kid proof lantern, January 22, 2011
This review is from: Fisher-Price Kid-Tough Explorers 2-in-1 Lantern (Toy)
This lantern is well designed so it can be used as a light that will light up the room as well as converting to a spotlight for your child to explore with.
I like the fact that it shuts itself off so it won't waste the batteries. Great lantern for the price. Durable, even for the little kids..

4.0 out of 5 stars great bedtime toy, November 21, 2010
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Fisher-Price Kid-Tough Explorers 2-in-1 Lantern (Toy)
I bought this lantern for my three year old, because he liked to have a little light on while going to sleep. This worked out perfectly. I love how it turns off after several minutes, so he can take it to bed, and I don't have to worry about the batteries dying. It is also fun for him to carry around and fun for him to be able to change it between spotlight and lantern mode. It seems very very durable. I liked it so much I bought one for my 5 year old also. Although, like some of the other reviewers, I did have a problem with the second lantern turning off after 30 seconds. I took the batteries out and then put them back in, and now it works normally.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gift for a 3 year old, October 22, 2010
This review is from: Fisher-Price Kid-Tough Explorers 2-in-1 Lantern (Toy)
My son has a fascination with flashlights and loves taking one to bed with him, playing with it and with our dog and cat, making shadows on the wall, and just showing his little sister what it does. So, when I found this item I thought what a great idea to get him. It's bright, easy to use and carry, durable and he had a blast with it. Would highly recommend for parents with young kids and especially those who might like sleeping outside or going camping!

5.0 out of 5 stars 2.5 + years worth of play, September 23, 2011
This review is from: Fisher-Price Kid-Tough Explorers 2-in-1 Lantern (Toy)
My son got this as a 1st birthday present. Yes, it has an auto shut off, which I think is fantastic! He takes it into his bed at night and it shuts off when he's asleep for the night. This has saved us SO MANY dead batteries!

It has been tossed around in the toybox and generally abused by a toddler in all sorts of ways. He's had it and loved it well for 2.5 years and it is still functioning perfectly. AND it still gets a lot of use. I hate it when I toy is forgotten in 2 weeks or less. This one will be around a long time!

I would not hesitate to gift this to another child.

Fisher-Price Kid-Tough Explorers 2-in-1 Lantern