Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Fisher-Price Kid-Tough Music Player with Microphone - Pink
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CaseLangVeirs Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on October 16, 2010
Got this for my daughter's 4th birthday and she absolutely loves it. She takes it everywhere. Volume control keeps it from getting too loud. Easy to use buttons are perfect for a pre-schooler. Downloads are easy from iTunes (at least with my PC it's a piece of cake). Very durable and withstands many drops, dragging by microphone, etc. Battery life is pretty good-- one replacement in two months with at least an hour or two of use daily. I highly recommend this toy if you have a little music lover.
on December 14, 2010
This Fisher Price Kid Tough Music Player is compatible with Macs! I've figured out how to get this music player to work when Fisher Price tech support was of little help.

I have a MacBook with OS 10.5.6, and iTunes for both iTunes purchased music and downloaded CDs. My music files are coded as AAC files which are compatible with this device. I downloaded the Fisher Price Mac music player software from the site that is listed in the music player manual. Once installed on your hard drive, all you need to do is connect the music player via the USB port and turn the music player on. The Fisher Price software will automatically activate a window on your desktop where your music from iTunes will be automatically searched and your songs will appear in the "My Library" portion of the window. The "My Player" window will show any music already on the music player and this is where you will see five pre-loaded Fisher Price songs.

Select the music you wish to download on your music player from "My Library" by clicking on the empty box next to each song, or you may opt to "Select All" just above your library listing. Click on the green arrow when you are ready to transfer the files from your library to the music player. This will take several minutes to complete.

In the "My Player" window, you will now see a listing of all the songs you just downloaded onto the music player. Close the Fisher Price software window and "eject" the music player from your desktop by dragging the "F-P" device icon to your Trash. Allow your music player to `boot' by waiting until the music icons on its display disappear and you see the listing for the first song. Push the play button and you may experience the music player scrolling through all of the songs and not playing any of the songs. If this happens, follow these steps:

1. Reconnect the music player to your Mac via the USB port. Turn the music player on.

2. When the Fisher Price window launches, you will see "My Library" with all of the songs from your iTunes. Visually confirm the songs you just downloaded from your computer are listed in "My Player."

3. Scroll to the top of the "My Player" list and delete any files that contain a period, an underscore, a number, and a song title. For example: .__02itsybitsy

4. Close the Fisher Price software window, eject the music player from your desktop, and wait for the music player to boot. Once the music player window presents the listing for your first song, press play. It should work.
1111 comments|40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 26, 2010
My daughter received this for her 5th birthday and loves it. Carries it everywhere including in the car and sings in the mic like crazy. The mic works well and love that you can use headphones with it. My only problem with this toy is the box states holds up to 4 hours of music but once we started downloading songs found out it only holds about 20-25 songs which is definetely not 4 hours of music. We are constantly having to change out songs since it only holds 2 of her CD's.
44 comments|25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 30, 2010
I purchased this toy online even after reading some very bad reviews on Amazon. I was getting my 2 older girls ipods for Christmas and had to have something similar for my 3 year old. This was my best hope. It is large enough that she can't lose it or break it. It is small enough that she can carry it. Even my 16 month old likes to play with it.

As for the reviews that said you can't put much music on here, I think you just don't know how to work the radio. I have put an entire 7 Disney Soundtrack Albums on my childs MP3 and it still has a little bit of memory left. This is a 256 MB storage MP3, and I currently have 150+ songs from those 7 albums on it. It DOES hold a lot of music. The only downside I've seen is that the microphone give some feedback because the mic cord is too short so you can't get very far from the MP3 player when singing so you do get the feedback. The only other downfall is that all 4 of my kids fight over it even though the 6 and 7 year old have their own ipod - it doesn't have a microphone they say!

Anyway, great, great MP3 player for such young kids! I hope this review outweighs the ones who say you can put but 5 or 6 songs at a time on it. They must not have read the instructions!
on January 6, 2011
Was so excited about this gift for my 3 year old but it's turned out to be a big disappointment. I loved all the features and it was easy to set up and download songs. The first problem was with the microphone. It had so much static that you couldn't really hear her voice. The BIG problem however, came when she tried to skip to the next song. Every time she pushed the arrows the player would act erratically...skipping to the next song, and the next, and just not stopping. Then it wouldn't turn off or on. We finally had to take the back cover off and take out the batteries to reset. This happened every time she tried to use it, so it wasn't just a one time fluke. Thought maybe we just got a "bad" one so tried to exchange at TRU but they've discontinued the item. Hmmm...there must be a reason. Looking for a similar item to replace it if anyone has any suggestions.
on December 26, 2010
I bought the Dora the Explorer player, a very similar karaoke-style player, that shows a nearly double price tag on this website. I bought it for the same price as the fisher-price, however, from a local major chain toy store. I brought it home and was pleased to see 2Gb of storage space show up. I was much less pleased when it only accepted about half the MP3 files that I had prepared for it... then it played a couple and shut down.

I discovered the fisher-price when I was trying to figure out what I would get when I returned the Dora player. I found one locally and was very lucky as most were out of stock (just before Christmas, otherwise would have ordered from Amazon). I was happy to see that it would play both MP3 and iTunes AAC type files... very good start. Initially I was a little bit sad to see a meager amount of memory show up... but when I realized it could still hold WAY more songs than the cassette deck that I had back in about 1977 as a little kid, I figured it wouldn't be that hard to either downsample music if I ran out of space or just update with a rotating playlist.

It turns out not to be a big deal. What is a HUGE deal is having something durable (my 2.5 year old has dropped it 4 times in the 1 day since Christmas) that has great sound from the speakers. The other big deal for me is to have something that is about as close to a tape player that I had, but is modern. Has anyone noticed that ALL MP3 players seem to only use headphones? Who would put headphones on a toddler!? Anyway, this player is fantastic. So far I have only seen 3 players like this... the Fisher-Price, the Dora (terrible), and one made by some small company...can't recall the name. The latter player gets good reviews, but it has some parent-only volume control, which makes it impossible for a kid to change the volume and nearly impossible for a parent.

The Fisher-Price is really great. I have a Mac and it DOES work with the Mac system. In fact, I would not be surprised at all (as one Linux user has proven) that you could just drag and drop music if you treat it as an external storage device.

About the only thing I think they could do is give it an expansion slot for an SD card. A second "upgrade" would be a power adapter so you could plug it in at night... a third "upgrade" would be a timer so it shuts off after some user set time like 30 or 60 minutes. Still... for a tough digital music player, this one really scores. My 2.5 year old looks really happy with it and reminds me so much of how happy I was to have my tape player as a kid.
on November 17, 2010
A GREAT item. Fun, durable, easy to load music, easy for kids to use. A little heavy, but my 2 and 3 year olds tote it around ok. Stores many, many songs. Great sound. The microphone is a little quiet. I would definitely recommend this product.
on January 17, 2011
My daughter got this for Christmas 2010 and loves it. So do I. The sound is fantastic--not tinny or electronic sounding at all. The volume control goes from decently soft (for the car) to very loud (for dancing around the house being silly or cleaning). It's kind of heavy, but nothing she can't handle. I've had more than 60 mp3 files on there, which is way more than she needs or wants. She prefers a smaller number of her favorites that she can find quickly and easily. Something I love and didn't expect is that the player helps her to learn her numbers. When I tell her a certain song is number 38, she's learning to search through and find 38. It's pretty cool to watch.

Added bonus: Before Christmas I took it out of its packaging to download songs on it so it would be ready to play with. I was very surprised at how easy the packaging was to get in to without destroying anything. Very unusual for a toy...and a helpful surprise!
on December 27, 2014
I think i gave these to my twin granddaughters two Christmases ago when they were 3 1/2. They loved them then and they still use them all the time. A very reliable, sturdy product that is easy for small children to use unassisted once they learn how it operates. Love it!
on October 26, 2011
I bought this for my 2 year-old on her birthday knowing that her 4 1/2 year old brother would also be using it. They both absolutely love it. On ours, the batteries last about a week with constant use or 2 weeks with regular use. It's durable and the music quality is surprisingly good for what it is. I wish there was an option to plug it into the wall though to save on those batteries.

Some reviewers have said they wished it had more memory, but I have to disagree there. The only way you can move from song to song is to push Forward/Backward buttons so if you have too many songs on it, getting to a specific song would be a pain. My kids always want to go to specific favorites and I'm guessing that's common. Since the software interface is so easy to use, it's best to just switch out the songs from time to time to keep things fresh.

One last thing. The microphone. With its close proximity to the speakers, you're going to have problems with distortion unless you keep it away from the speakers and don't hold it too close to your mouth. Then it works just fine.