Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now Sale

on September 3, 2008
This was given as a gift for my little girls' two year birthday. She absolutely loves Sesame Street but is not at all interested in this set up. It is not very large, the sounds are limited and loop quickly, the Grouch door falls off easily, and it is overwhelmingly tacky. The Speaker on the cash register does not work and the storage space is very limited. I suppose it is as good as any other kitchen set, although for the price, I'm sure you could find better. I do not mean to be negative about this product, just informative.
66 comments55 of 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 28, 2008
My daughter received this toy for her birthday two months ago, and she plays with it every day. There was minimal assembly involved. It took longer to unwrap everything from its plastic and carboard than it took to snap on doors, turn it on and position all the cooking implements and play food.

The menu is simply and colorfully illustrated, which makes it easy for youngsters to read. The sound effects, such as sizzling, bells ringing, Ernie and Bert's voices, and speaking into the microphone attached near the cashier make the restaurant even more fun as my child brought it to life.

The only drawbacks to the toy is that some of the doors come off easily, but they're made to snap right back on. Also, if you leave the unit on, it will randomly ring, speak or sizzle, which can be a bit alarming in the middle of the night. This toy is also on the expensive side, a fact i wouldn't have minded so much if it had come with a few more pieces, such as a bowl or even a chef's hat for a child.

Elmo's Restaurant is colorful, portable and most importantly, it provided hours of quiet, active play for young children.
11 comment13 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 19, 2009
I bought this for my twin toddlers for Christmas. They still play with it on a daily basis. It is pretty cute, and has various character sounds/songs. At the time of purchase I paid $44- I don't think it's worth much more than that. Beyond the cash register and stove burner there really isn't anything for the kids to do with the counter portion- a sink would be an added bonus, as it lacks one. Also, the cookie Monster oven door comes off quite easily and quite often, which is annoying. Finally too much of the toy is just molded gray plastic, which isn't very pretty, and the details or shapes in the gray could've been painted a different shade to make them stand out as actual decor. Also, the interior of the appliances (Oscar and Cookie) could use some shelves to store the food/dishes it comes with. Oh, it could use more than one pan and more than one place setting. The kids like it enough, though mainly because of the character voices, though, so you could buy any talking Sesame Street toy for that.
on December 15, 2008
Not a great bargin at the retail price. At Amazons 39.99 with Free Shipping I'd consider it. We review it at the store fully assembled. I expected ALOT more for the asking price of 99.99 - cheaply made. Not a great toy for anyone over 2 years old. I wouldn't pay more than 40.00 for it. Step 2& Little Tikes kitchens are a HUGE hit at our house and we paid less than original retail price of this. If you want something to endure more than 1 child keep looking.
on November 17, 2008
My 23 month old daughter played with this at her playmates house and loves it. It is set up in their playroom, and both she and the 3 year old played pretend for over an hour. It is on the top of our Christmas list.
0Comment11 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 6, 2009
I bought this last Christmas for my 3 year old son, he loves playing with it as well as his 18 month old brother! The doors do fall off pretty easy when played rough with. I laminted the money which has worked very well! My boys play with this and love it, great present!
on May 19, 2009
Pros: I gave this to my 18 month daughter 5 months ago and she still loves it. I can not say the same for most of her toys. I do not regret paying full price for it. Cons: The doors are easy to remove, and my daughter can knock it over if she tries.
22 comments1 of 1 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 30, 2008
I was looking for an affordable and not-too-pink toy kitchen for my son, and was happy to find Elmo's Restaurant. This toy kitchen features the Sesame Street characters, as you can clearly see from the pictures, and includes a wide variety of fun accessories - play food, a frying pan, dishes, and money. The kitchen makes fun sounds when you open and close the cabinet doors, put the pan on the stove, ring the bell, take the spatula in and out of Elmo's hand, take the menu in and out of Grover's hand, and open and close the cash register. There is also a microphone on the side of the register that my son can talk into. He is fascinated by this set and can sit and play with it for an hour - and that's a lot for such a little guy! The kitchen has a decent amount of storage space for the accessories, although I would have liked to see shelves in the cabinets to make it easier to organize everything. The kitchen was very easy to assemble. I had it out of the box and ready for my son to use within five minutes.

The main downside to it is that the sounds may be fun for a toddler and can drive a parent crazy! There is no volume knob, but thankfully there is an off switch. Volume control would have been nice. Also, this set does look very plastic (since it is) and if you aren't into character toys, this one probably isn't for you. The Sesame Street characters are ALL OVER this set, and a lot of the sounds are their voices. As for durability, it seems about in line with the typical Fisher Price toys. Not brilliant, but not terrible either.

I also want to note that the descriptions say it has a pot that you can put on the stove to make bubbling sounds. There is no pot in this set, just a frying pan. That doesn't take away from my son's enjoyment of his new kitchen though!

This kitchen set met the grade for us. Affordable and lots of fun for my little boy!
on December 29, 2008
We purchased this toy for my 15 month old son for Christmas. Set up was extremely easy. My son was playing with it about 5 minutes after it came out of the box. He played with it for over and hour Christmas morning, which is a very long time for him to play with the same thing. It has become his favorite toy. The activities and sounds are perfect for keeping his attention and making the toy lots of fun.

As much as I love this toy I do think there are two things Fisher Price could improve on. Like many other reviewers we immediately had a problem with the oven door coming off. It does snap back on easily, but I was suprised that the toy wasn't more durable seeing as it is aimed at toddlers and preschoolers. I also wonder what made them think they should package this with paper money. It would have been so much better if the money had been plastic. Most 18 months olds still wrinkle, crumple or take a bite out of paper when given the chance. It would have been great if they sold an optional accessory pack as the toy is a little light on that end. We purchaed a Lifestyle Dining Set (pots, pans, plates, utensils) and it goes very nicely with Elmo's Reatuarant.

We bought this toy at a great price when Amazon offered it in the gold box deals, but even at the regular price I think the toy is well worth it.

I did have a dissapointing problem with fiher price though. When I called about the oven door I was told I could purhase a new item at $114.19 and when it arrived (in 7-15 business days) I could send the old one back (and pay for shipping myself) and once they recieved it I would get a refund. Seeing as I didn't pay that much for the original unti to begin with it's really not worth it for me. So while I love the toy, Fisher Price gets a big fat 0 for customer service, which will definetly be a factor in my decision when purchasing toys in the future.
on January 6, 2009
After reading reviews on Walmart.com and Amazon.com, I was hesitant to purchase the Elmo's Restaurant. But, my 2 1/2 year old was really wanting it from Santa. In fact, that's the only thing she asked for. So, when the price dropped to $62.00 (thank you Amazon.com) I decided to make her day even if it was a flop. I was pleasantly surprised. Although the toy is made is somewhat flemsy plastic, I have not had the experience other reviewers have stated with the doors falling off. The thing has been in use since Christmas day and not one time have the doors fell off, or has the thing started talking on a whim like others have stated. I would say if you can purchase this toy for around $60 or less, do so if your tike really wants it. It's cute, and I really like that there are large storage areas to keep all the accessories in. I would also recommend Amazon.com for any purchases. I bought several Christmas gifts online through Amazon and the service I received was out of this world good. I received my packages sometimes the next day. People have made Walmart the retail giant, and it's really sad. I have found this holiday season that Walmart doesn't give a crap about their customers. They just want their money. That got a little off the subject of the Elmo Restaurant, sorry about that! The Elmo Restaurant is worth the try..