4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, soft, cuddly electronics protector
I bought this at the bullseye store for about 25% more. I was a bit worried about how much I could depend on the review score here because so many of the reviews were done by vine members. I understand that this means they didn't actually have to pay for the toy and I know for me the amount I've paid for something plays a big part in how satisfied I am with it...
Published 23 months ago by Mommy

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but...
Published 22 months ago by Xiomara

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, soft, cuddly electronics protector, December 8, 2012
This review is from: Fisher-Price Laugh and Learn Apptivity Monkey (Toy)

My 9 month old was excited when he saw it go into the cart, so I sat it next to him. He really likes it. We already have the other app case for babies, so I knew he liked the Fisher Price apps, which are fantastic. But he seemed to enjoy the songs and the monkey quite a bit. Even my older boys (4 & 2) were interested in the monkey sans the iPod. So despite my worries, the reviews here were solid. It's a great toy. As far as the one reviewers concerns about early exposure to electronics, all you have to do is go to the grocery store to find that. We own an iPod. Our baby wants to eat it. This protects the iPod, and let's the baby enjoy a little bit of the alphabet, some shapes, and numbers. My only complaint would be the video that is clearly misleading. However, I read the reviews here first, so it didn't catch me off guard when I got the toy home.

UPDATE: I read that the monkey didn't interact with the device, but I have noticed that our monkey does interact with the app on the 4th generation iPod touch. The Laugh & Learn Monkey app is the application that matches the monkey's paws. When you push the paw, it goes to that activity within the app.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun way for your toddler to catch up on 'Breaking Bad' without damaging your iPhone, September 2, 2012
Don Walton Jr. (Albuquerque, NM United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fisher-Price Laugh and Learn Apptivity Monkey (Toy)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Before starting this review, I watched the short video segment attached to the product page. I found it a bit misleading. It shows someone pushing the monkey's paws and then the app started and advanced through the corresponding lesson (ie. push the ABC paw to trigger the ABC section of the app). The toy does not actually 'dock' your iPhone. The iPhone simply rests inside and the body of the iPhone presses a button in the belly of the toy, preventing the stand-alone lessons from starting while using the app. With nothing actually attached to the iPhone, it does not interact with the app.

With the phone outside of the monkey, each paw provides songs and lessons based on counting, letters, shapes, colors or music. With the phone inside the monkey, each paw simply makes a sound effect. You can still use the touchscreen through the protective plastic barrier, but the paws do not effect the app. Also, probably my biggest negative remark, is that there is no way to get out of the app and try a different lesson without exiting the app completely and restarting it. No 'menu' button. If you pick letters, it will just keep looping the lesson.

As far as the actual toy goes, it is fairly charming, and an attractive way to keep your device clean and safe. The front of the enclosure is hard plastic, and the back is also hard plastic with a thin cloth cover keeping the battery pack concealed. I found the door to the device case difficult, but not impossible, to open so I did not fear that my niece would be able to open it on her own. There is also an option to secure the home button from use, or allow it to be pressed. Also, one of the paws was slightly torn by the plastic band that secured the monkey to it's box. I did like that there is a tear out section on the back of the box that leads to the main banding, securing the toy. It was very easy to remove the toy, and did not need additional tools. I didn't notice it until I had my iPhone inside, but there also seem to be some sort of motion sensor inside the toy. If you bob it's head, it makes a monkey sound. If you shake it, it makes a bouncing sound.

Overall, its a great idea, but the Fisher-Price apps that correspond with the toy need some work.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but..., December 12, 2012
Xiomara (Puerto Rico) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fisher-Price Laugh and Learn Apptivity Monkey (Toy)
Cute, soft and perky. My 13 month hasn't let go since he got it. But description says it is compatible with 1st thru 4th generation iPod touch anx this is not true. While the device will fit, in order to interact you need a 4th gen. iPod unless you want a nice, quiet, soft and huge iPod case. Once the device is in, the monkey mutes itself so baby can play with the device, sooo if you have a 1-3 gen there is no speaker, therefore, no real use for the monkey.

5.0 out of 5 stars •.:*¨¨*♥Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Thanks! Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ♥*¨¨*:.•, December 13, 2012
This review is from: Fisher-Price Laugh and Learn Apptivity Monkey (Toy)
I purchased 2 of these for my grandson. Although it is very cute and a great idea. Be forewarned, if you keep your phone in any other sort of case (otter box) it will have to removed before using this. Just figured I'd mention that incase someone hadn't thought of it.

3.0 out of 5 stars cute but not the greatest, July 4, 2013
This review is from: Fisher-Price Laugh and Learn Apptivity Monkey (Toy)
My 2 year old son loves this monkey! I purchased it with the intent of keeping him entertained in the car and out and about without risking my ipod being broken. the only down side to this is when the ipod is put in the middle the monkey isn't really interactive. This wouldn't be much of a problem except since my ipod does not have external speakers there is no sound coming from the app or the monkey. Other then this, its a cute toy without the ipod in it

2.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointing..., February 27, 2014
This review is from: Fisher-Price Laugh and Learn Apptivity Monkey (Toy)
I purchased this for my son for Christmas. I was a little disappointed to find that it broke within a couple months of him getting it; it now only plays about half a second of sound when you squeeze the sensors and then stops. We even installed new batteries, thinking that was the reason the sounds stopped playing, but that didn't fix the issue, so now this is nothing more than a bulky, awkward stuffed animal.
Also, it's pretty hard to get the iPod in and out of the case, which is good if you're trying to keep little hands off it, but not so great when you're trying to install or remove the iPod from the monkey's belly. The design is a little awkward, in my opinion.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap plastic window easy to break, January 16, 2013
This review is from: Fisher-Price Laugh and Learn Apptivity Monkey (Toy)
Within an hour of playing with the toy, my boy tore off the plastic covering the screen. Now it's just a singing monkey. I guess for the sale price, it's adequate.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining toy, December 28, 2012
This review is from: Fisher-Price Laugh and Learn Apptivity Monkey (Toy)
This toy is very interactive, and peeks my son's interest (6 1/2 months old). I have a 3rd generation ipod touch, and it works just fine. However, the monkey will not start the app on its own (because it's not a 4th generation), you have to start the ipod then insert it into the monkey. Once the ipod is turned on and inserted, you are able to change the game by pressing any of the buttons on the monkey. My only complaint is the cover itself where the ipod is inserted. You have to turn the knob with one hand, while holding it still with the other just to put the ipod in. It would be much easier if the lock would stay in place while you are trying to put the cover back on or take off. You can't just hold it with your hand, either. It has to be a coin, or a screwdriver that holds it still while you put the ipod in. So, you have to have something on hand to either open it or close it, which is very annoying, and not much of a quick fix when your child is fussy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Monkey, December 27, 2012
This review is from: Fisher-Price Laugh and Learn Apptivity Monkey (Toy)
The monkey is great! My 7 month old cousin loved it! It is very cute. It is also very cheap

2.0 out of 5 stars Does NOT work with Original iPhone or iPhone 2nd generation, December 27, 2012
A. Kennedy "Anne" (Richmond, VA United States) - See all my reviews
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Fisher-Price Laugh and Learn Apptivity Monkey (Toy)
IMPORTANT: The Amazon product description is wrong. This item does NOT work with Original iPhone or iPhone 2nd generation

After switching out my old iPhone and putting in the 3GS, the Fisher Price monkey app works. Overall, however, this toy is just "all right", but nothing special. My 24 month old plays with it for about 2 minutes then discards it. You can't change which song you want - you have to wait for one to finish before moving to the next.

The letters and numbers are very good, however.

Fisher-Price Laugh and Learn Apptivity Monkey