Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Fisher-Price Laugh & Learn Dance And Play Puppy
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CaseLangVeirs Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on September 28, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My 20-month-old has (and loves) the original Fisher-Price Laugh & Learn Learning Puppy. He's had it since he was a newborn and enjoys turning it on and dancing to the songs. This newer puppy looks exactly like the old one, except that it has a motor that makes it move around while it's singing. It also stands on its own and because of the motor isn't soft and cuddly like the original. Like the other version of this toy, this one sings a variety of toddler-friendly songs in a cute voice with upbeat background music.

I thought this toy would be a surefire hit, but unfortunately my son just isn't into it. I think this might be because the motor is so loud. Fisher Price made the music louder to compensate, but even so it's sometimes difficult to concentrate on the tune because you're so distracted by the motor. Every time I turn this on my son just looks at it and is like, "Whaa?" He'll ask me to push the button again, but he won't go near the toy himself and pretty much ignores it unless I purposefully draw his attention to it.

I love the idea behind this toy, but I think it must be difficult to install a higher-quality (read: quieter) motor while also keeping the price reasonable. If you're debating between this Fisher Price puppy and the original, my suggestion would be to get the original one. It's about $10 less expensive, is cute and cuddly and doesn't have a loud motor.
22 comments|60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon October 11, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
With a 22 month old daughter running around I jump at the opportunity to review new kids stuff.
The second I saw this toy on Amazon Vine I volunteered and what a great decision it was.

First of all the toy comes with batteries already installed. It's in the box pretty good and I have learned over the recent months to get the toy out of the box before my daughter see's it or there will be a wrestling/whining match to deal with. I'm getting pretty good at getting these kids toys out of the boxes now but I recommend a pair of scissors in case you're not.

The puppy doesn't have a name so my daughter named it Mario, which is kind of funny because it has a female voice. She sings ABC's and a couple of other fun little songs, she wiggles her butt, claps her hands and flaps her ears. It's actually pretty adorable. She doesn't walk, I'm not sure what gave me the impression that it was supposed to walk but that was disappointing to me, it has no effect on my daughter who was just excited to see it dance and sing.
It does make a lot of noise as far as the mechanics are concerned. Though they aren't louder than the toy they do remind me of the old Terminator movies which is kinda weird. But my daughter "Mia" doesn't seem to mind at all and will carry "Mario" around the house, set her down and dance with her for a bit. The puppy also instructs the kids on how to interact with it which is pretty cool to see. The first time the puppy said "clap your hands" and started clapping my daughter squealed, started tip toeing around and clapping her hands. Did I say it was adorable already?

The toy does have a volume control on one of the feet, thank you FP! With the same control you can turn her off completely. So you've got loud, quiet and off.
It's not really very loud to begin with but adults will get tired of the songs before kids will so it's nice to tone it down a bit.
Another cool little feature it has is that if the puppy has tipped over and you press one of it's activation buttons it will only say "Uh oh" or "ooopsie!" and then giggle. Which is also pretty cute.

Despite it having moving, mechanical parts and electronics it seems to stand up to quite a bit of abuse. While my daughter isn't a particularly abusive child, the toy has been drug around by the ear, laid on and knocked over in frantic dance fests a few times now.

So in short my daughter loves this toy and interacts with it a lot. I waited a month before I wrote this review to make sure I wasn't just giving you the initial "I love any toy ever... for 2 hours" response that most kids have. No she still loves it and carries it around the house.

One quick warning, some kids don't react well to electronic toys. I've actually seen a friends kid be terrified of a "Tickle Me Elmo" back when those were the hot thing. You might want to experiment with a small, less committal electronic toy before you pop the big dancing puppy down in front of them. Nothing makes you feel worse than getting a toy that terrifies your child. No matter how cute it is, sometimes they just don't like em.
VINE VOICEon September 24, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This puppy is so much fun. He dances. He sings. He claps. His ears go up and down. More importantly, my 18 month old grandson loves him. He plays with him ALL the time. Luckily, I'm a grandma so it doesn't get on my nerves. HA. HA. My revenge. My grandson carts him everywhere and probably isn't as gentle as he could be. Others have complained that he isn't as cuddly as he could be but that works out fine with my grandson. He has cuddly toys and this is fine as an every day toy that can stand up to some tough play. The only quibble I have is the only interactive spots are the feet. I wish you could press his hands or his ears. It would be a lot better.
Still, any toy that can make by grandson so happy, is a worthwhile toy and one I would recommend.
VINE VOICEon September 22, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This puppy is adorable and moves really well, it's better coordinated then most people. The volume of the songs are a little loud, but it definitely gets any babies attention. It sings and dances all day and the batteries are still going strong (takes 6 AA batteries which are included). I was also surprised about the sheer size of it... it's about 2ft tall and bigger than most babies. This puppy is popular wherever it goes.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon October 25, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Being a Fisher Price home, I knew my daughter would LOVE this toy! I saw the commercials when I received the product about a month ago and was so excited to try it out.

My daughter is now 1 and has been playing with this for about a month. First, when you get the toy, be careful removing it from the box. It has the hard plastic ties that are so tight and hard to get a good angle at; I feared I might cut myself or the toy removing it. Once I removed it, I wiped it down with a toxic free disinfectant wipe. The toy is open and exposed so I did not know how many hands had touched it from the factory, to warehouse, to shipping. You cannot remove the outfit on the dog so going over it lightly with the wipe I felt better since at my daughter's age, everything ends up in her mouth. Also inspect the toy for loose threads and fabric. On the back on the head the sewing is poorly done, almost in a zig zag and there is a lot of loose fuzz, like you would find inside a pillow. I removed it but there is still some sticking out and I did not want her grabbing it to choke on it. The outfit has a few loose threads, I just trimmed them.

Now to the toy, my daughter LOVES it. I let her play with it in her playpen or sitting on the floor. The toy is VERY sturdy, even on uneven surfaces. In the playpen it has not fallen over and on the floor it stays upright. When I saw the toy I thought the feet and hands were areas to press to get the dog to sing and dance, it is only the two feet. My daughter does have a hard time recognizing the feet are the only place you can activate the toy since the hands have bigger areas to push. I usually have to push it for her. Once on she smiles, laughs, and even dances to the toy. She is very intrigued by it and when I go through the feet where it dances, talks, and sings, she waits for me to press it again to see what is next. There is a great selection which keeps her interest.

I know this will be different for all ages but the toy is VERY hard (the plastic). I don't like leaving it in the playpen unattended because if she falls on it, it is hard! Under the toy's outfit it is so hard, I wish they added some padding to it but then the mechanics probably would not function as well. Speaking of the mechanics, this toy is loud and a little hard to hear since it is motorized and has to move. As mentioned before, I let her play with it during the day because at night she is a bit cranky and cries when it moves. She can hear the mechanics whirling and moving and it is loud.

Over all since she loves it I am giving it 4 stars. I take away one for the loudness, the loose materials and poor sewing, and also the fact that only the feet activate it.

I did want to mention, if you have seen the commercial or even look at the picture of the toy, it appears big. It stands only 13 inches high, not big or wide at all. Everyone who has seen it, the first thing they say, "That is a lot smaller than I thought it would be", they also comment on how hard it is.

I can tell she will play with this for a long time to come but as of now at her age, I am supervising her with it. She loves it so that makes me happy.

Added December 16, 2001: I do want to add the batteries do not last long. I have to factor that in. A few days ago I turned it on and put it on the floor for my daughter to play with. Every time I would push the foot to activate the dog it would start talking or dancing but then stop within a few seconds. I thought it was honestly defective. I figured if it were dead batteries it would be slow with the motion and words, not the case, it plays normally but then stops. If that happens to you just replace the batteries and you are good to go. This is the only toy that has done this. Others, again, you can tell the batteries are dying. Not on this, it still sounds normal, just stops. I wanted others to know in case they thought they might have a defective unit like I did, until I changed the batteries.
on November 2, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I got this when my son was about 3 months old. He is now almost 5 months. From the first time we pushed the button on the puppy's foot, my son has been intrigued. He loves to just watch him dance and sing. My son cannot interact too much with the puppy just yet, but he does get upset when it stops singing and wants more. He keeps trying to figure out how to get him to go more, but so far hasn't figured out to push on his foot.

I imagine that this toy is going to get a lot of use in the next few months and longer. The bright colors interest my son and keep him looking and checking out the puppy. The songs are short and just enough to keep his attention.

It is a little hard and not as soft as I would like, but I don't think that would work well with the motorized toy. The motor is also quite loud. I can imagine that the loud motor and sounds (which need to be louder to be heard over the motor) might startle a small child. So far this has not been an issue with my son who is easily startled (he sometimes cries when I talk too loudly to him).

Overall, I recommend this toy. I think the recommended age is 9+ months, but it works for younger children as well, but will be more useful as he gets older.
on October 15, 2013
My son has the Fisher-Price Laugh & Learn Love to Play Puppy and loves it so much so I thought this would be a good buy too but unfortunately as soon as I turned it on he started screaming and crying because the motor in the toy is so loud it is disturbing. While he is dancing and singing the motor is too loud to really hear the actual toy. The construction of the toy is odd seen is though it is meant for babies. Anyone with children know that they want to touch, pull, grab, and use things to help them balance or stand up. This toy is awkward to pick up for me. you can feel the electronics on the inside and I am worried that if he grabbed onto it he would break it or hurt himself. I think they should have put stuffing or something around the mechanics of this toy.. it makes it more of a look at toy which I am sure that's what they intended it for but babies don't have toys that need to be behind a glass case to play with safely.
on November 11, 2011
So as soon as I watched the commerical for this on tv, I thought this would be a GREAT Christmas present for my 14 month old daugher. It arrived in the mail and it was really cute but then I tried it out and the motor is so loud that its distracting from the toy. Its REALLY loud. I don't understand why Fisher Price couldn't have paid a little bit more and put a quieter motor in this guy, It's too bad. I like the idea of this toy but I returned it the same day and I am going to look for something else for my daughter for Christmas.
on September 16, 2012
This is a great toy! It is good for babies because there is movement as well as songs (lets count, ABCs, and more, and of course, phrases. Then when they are young tots, they will love to push the buttons and play and clap along and sing along. I bought this a year ago for Christmas when my grandbaby was just 7 months old and she loved it. She is now 16 mo and she still loves it! It is absolutely on the top 5 of her most enjoyed and played with toy. It is durable as we have all played with it over and over again. It's been knocked over and dropped many times (it says "opps" when that happens). She has a similar toy, but this Dance and Play has a lot more phrases and songs then the other. The batteries seem to last a long time too as compared to some of her other toys. I'm sure she will continue to enjoy it for awhile.
on March 30, 2014
I am so sorry to say that I was not at all pleased with this toy and I returned it immediately. The dog's body was very hard . . . which , I am sure was necessary for the dog to be able to stand and move . . .but I just didn't like the feel.