on December 30, 2009
Im not sure why others rated this house so low. But all ive got to say is that you should look around for a coupon! Toys r us believe it or not had this toy for $25 and on top of that i had a buy one get one 50% off for lp sets. My 1 year old son LOVES this house! He loves to put the baby in the tub and flush the toilet. He constantly slams the house down to repeatedly poke the doorbell and also enjoys the phone. I think that as with all LP toys, he loves the actual people the most but i can see him enjoying this house more and more.

I WOULD recommend going on ebay for a better price and also to purchase extra individual LP figures to make the play more realistic :)
Our family is interracial so we bought AA people as well as some others such as the hispanic and asian families for diversity. Especially with ebay, you can find the toys you want at the prices that you want and you dont have to pay that high cost unless you absolutely must have new items and even then there is a market for cheaper new LP toys on ebay as well. Remember to select buy it now and sort by price+shipping : lowest to highest to find the best items. Narrow down your category and search smart!

I have this house, the animal sounds farm, school bus and dump truck along with several extra figures and the memories that children (including myself) create with these toys are irreplaceable! The toys are almost as sturdy as the original ones (pre 1991) and they still attract little ones today!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 27, 2009
My daughter is 15 months old and I was looking for some "girly" toys to buy her for the holidays. I am always pleased with the quality of the plastic in Little People sets, but I really do not understand why they are so expensive. This is a small little unfolding house with five buttons that make different sounds (telephone ring, two different water sounds for the washing machine and the bathtub, a toilet flush, and a doorbell) and two little "people", one of which is a baby. There are some cute features, I'm glad my daughter has this, but it is nowhere near the $40ish current list price. I would judge this as a $25 toy. With some upgrades (more buttons/features) and more people in it, I would judge the price appropriate. I gave it only three stars because the value is low for the price and it was overall a bit boring/disappointing. My daughter has much more fun with the Fisher Price Laugh & Learn Home, which is a GREAT buy for the money.
on October 20, 2012
I bought this for my niece's first birthday. I'd heard she had a fascination for a fellow toddler's Little People toys, and I wanted to get her a dollhouse. This toy got two birds with one stone.

Before I presented this, though, I checked to see if it needed batteries. According to the box, they're not included, so if you're a considerate gift giver, make sure you have some ready. I believe it needs 3 AA batteries -- I wanted to say 2 or 3, as I can't quite remember which it was, but I seem to remember bringing 3 with the gift, and that's the safer number in any case; better to have one more than you needed than one less. Also, I think the place where the batteries go (underneath the house) requires a screwdriver, so make sure there is one handy.

It's called the Happy Sounds Home -- so don't be surprised; this is a toy that makes sounds. That's why you need the batteries.

Here are the sounds it makes:
--laundry being done in the washing machine, ending with a beep to indicate the washer is done
--toilet flushing
--baby laughing in the bath
--phone ringing
--doorbell ringing

The speaker is located just inside the front door, on the floor where a door mat would be. I babysit my niece fairly regularly, and I personally felt the volume of the sounds are comparable to her other sound-making toys, i.e., not too loud at all. The loudest sounds are the ringing phone and the ringing doorbell. The beep at the end of the laundry washing sound probably comes next.

The sounds are blessedly short in length, though, compared to her other toys, some of which seem to go on and on. Unless you have a kid who obsesses with pushing buttons constantly and without end, I don't think you have to worry about this toy annoying you in the sound department.

OK, now for moving parts:
--the entire house has a hinged side, so it opens and closes
--the yellow front door opens and closes, and there's a pink button next to it on the outside that activates the ringing doorbell sound)
--the pink laundry detergent on the yellow washing machine is a button that activates the laundry washing sound
--the pink toilet seat lid opens and closes, and upon closing activates the toilet flushing sound
--the pink floor of the bathtub is actually a button you press to activate the baby laughing in the bath sound
--the yellow baby crib in the bedroom actually rocks
--the yellow refrigerator door opens and closes
--the pink phone in the living room is actually a button that activates the phone ringing sound
--the disc/wheel with the sun and moon sticker moves round and round and can be seen and moved from the outside of the house or the inside.

The pieces separate from the house are:
--the father
--the mother
--the baby
--a pink table
--two purple chairs
--a pink highchair for the baby

And everything fits inside the house, so the house is like a little toy box for the smaller pieces.

Also, my niece is at that stage in her life where she loves to put everything in her mouth, and these separate pieces are the ideal size for it, small enough for her to grasp, big enough that I never have to worry about her swallowing them, and solid and sturdy enough that I never have to worry about pieces breaking off. ALL of these have been tasted and gnawed on by the way, and they have all come out still looking as good as new, however slobbery they might be. My only concern is that I don't know what the little people are painted with -- but whatever it is, I hope and trust that Fisher-Price has made sure it's safe.
on October 21, 2010
I bought this toy for my daughter for Christmas last year she was 2. Now we're coming up to Christmas again and she's still playing with it. I think it's played a part in helping her with pretend play. I thought we might've been over it by now but it it still holding strong in its place in the living room. Once they outgrow I throw--to goodwill that is.
on July 26, 2011
This is a good starter toy but for the price, I personally would expect perhaps a few more items in the package. It is great that it comes with the family but perhaps a pet and some other mobile pieces would be better. My daughter likes it but she seems to need more to do with it. I ended up buying the bus set to have more to do.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I bought this for my 2 year old toddler. She likes it and plays with it sometimes, but she was only into this toy for the first few days. There are only three sounds that this toy makes, I believe, so there isn't too much to keep her entertained for long. She is way more into her Disney tea set than this.
on July 20, 2013
My daughter (18 mos) thinks this is just great. One of her favorite words lately is "baby," and she has fun identifying the baby in the house & putting it in the bathtub or the cradle. The house is durable & so are the little people. I came home one day to find my dog had peed on the house. I washed the people and the house in the tub with some hot water & Clorox. I thought for sure there was no way the buttons for the different sounds would work again. After I washed it, I took out all the screws in the bottom and removed the batteries (hindsight: should've probably taken it apart first, I know), drying it as best I could. I was very surprised to find that after everything dried, all of the buttons work just fine! Some of the stickers are a little worn from being wet, but even they held up better than I expected. I definitely don't recommend washing the house like this unless you have to, but I think it says something for its durability that it survived!
on September 30, 2013
Really wanted this for my baby girl. Fischer Price has developed a new model that just doesn't measure up. The new model features annoying songs and is very pink! I had to go ahead & buy this toy before it is no longer available. What appeals to me about this model is the gender neutral color scheme & the simplicity of design. Very young children can identify with the family & recognise familiar sounds at home. I am hoping that this toy will help my child become excited about potty training since she will be hearing the flushing sounds as she plays.

Thank you for carrying this model, Amazon! Most retailers are out of stock, only carrying the new (not so much improved) version.
on October 3, 2012
I just purchased this very cute house -there seem to be two different styles-the one I found has a pink roof and has 3 sections, the other one seems to be more of a purple roof and 2 sections. The pink roof one seems better constructed and more durable and the other house has better sounding amenities. My Grandaughter is 2 and loves the house. I also started collecting pieces of Calico Critters that I was planning for Christmas but after I watched her play w/ her house and try to sit in the chairs and stand on the table and sit on the house the "critters" are getting put away until she is about 6 or 7 or 49!
I think considering the basic indestructability (new word) and a few good coupons or sale the price can be much better-compare the prices to the Calico critters basic small house around $45.00-60.00 and is very plain and frail. I purchased this house for 20.00 excellent condition at a consignment shop but If I had known how cute it was I would'nt have minded getting it when she was a year old for the higher price. Hope this helps future buyers. PS stash this in the attic for the Grandbabies it happens faster than you think or when your kids are older and company comes with a child that looks suspiciously bored!
I would have given it a higher score but the baby is in some odd molded basket w/ her teddy bear and my Grandaughter tried for a while to pull her out and the parents who look more like children(I thought they were) have things in there hands(molded) the 'mom" has popcorn in one and what looks like a movie ticket in the other-the 'dad" has a cell phone in his left had and the right arm is just stretched out to the side (to keep his balance?) I found this part uber weird but oh well. It also seems to be fun to have "dinosaur train" figures visit the household for a bath and eat off the table. Hopefully the new houses come with extra stickers I read they come off easily from the purple house but the pink roofed one they seem fine. A handle to carry the house would have been a nice touch.
on September 14, 2012
I wasn't happy about the price but this doll house has won me over. It is a very sturdy, heavy duty plastic house made for the kind of play a toddler can dish out. Yes, it's girly (flowers stamped in the white plastic), green flower hedges and purple flower window boxes...but seriously, are toddlers going to care? My two year old granddaughter loves it and months after receiving it is still playing with it on a daily basis (that says something right there).

The house swings open to play inside and the hinge, while plastic on the outside, has a thin metal rod running down the inside to ensure durability. The front door opens and closes but will not pop off (which is good!). The front windows are large enough to fit furniture or people through as are the back windows (which require a little more manuvering to get items through). There is a half moon wheel on the roof at the front of the house that the kids can spin that has either a sun(day) or moon with stars(night) picture on it that comes into the bedroom too with the pictures of sheep to count or flowers. There is even a chimney with a stamped little birds nest inside of it. When your child is done playing, everything can be stored inside the bottom (downstairs portion) of the house and just swing the house shut.

Inside the house everything is molded furniture (non-movable) with a few exceptions. The refrigerator door opens and shuts and the baby bassinet rocks back and forth. Anything in the house that is hot pink colored is a "sound" maker. The laundry detergent on the washer when pushed down will make washer sounds. The toilet lid when open then closed will make flushing sounds. The tub floor when pushed on, you will hear water running and children laughing. The telephone when pushed on will ring and the doorbell when pushed in will sound. I have to warn you, both the phone and the doorbell are realistic, lol. While the sounds were fun to try, my grandchild had much more fun just playing with the house and would go back to the sounds every so often. The favorite is the doorbell and letting people come in the door. There are also some stickers placed around the house for decoration...towels, toys, rugs, etc. and a mirrors above the bathroom sink. There is a large molded bed that the mom and dad can sleep on upstairs and there are two seats on either side of the telephone downstairs for people to sit in the house. The tub has a place for one person to stand and of course the toilet has a place to sit.

The house came with a family, a dad, mom and baby. I was glad that it included the family but a little confused about the way they were made. The dad is holding onto a pair of sunglasses/eyeglasses in one hand and two soda cups/drinking cups in the other. The mom is holding a pacifier in one hand (ok) and an ice cream cone in the other. The baby comes set in a babyseat that doesn't really fit in the bassinet or the baby chair that comes with the house.
The house also comes with two chairs, a kitchen table, and a babyseat/highchair.