5.0 out of 5 stars Fisher-Price Cradle Swing: STARLIGHT
After reading all the reviews on this site, I was a bit confused since Amazon has lumped together the reviews for several different types of swing in one area. This review is specifically for the Starlight swing.

Published on July 12, 2008 by Book Lover

1.0 out of 5 stars choking hazard!
Published on July 2, 2009 by Sam M

5.0 out of 5 stars Fisher-Price Cradle Swing: STARLIGHT, July 12, 2008

First, Amazon gets bonus points from me for getting me the swing in three days even though I chose the free shipping option (and I live in Hawaii!). I was so glad I didn't have to wait nine days for it.

I have to say, I love this swing! It was easy to put together. It didn't take more than twenty minutes to assemble, which was fabulous since my baby was eagerly awaiting its completion so he could hop in it. He's almost four weeks old and has always been a difficult sleeper, so I was hoping this swing would be a lifesaver for me.

So far he hasn't fallen asleep in it (although he's only tried twice), but if I get him to sleep and then put him in it, he sleeps so much more peacefully and a lot longer. Normally he falls asleep and I have to hold him through his entire nap because if I put him down, he wakes up and cries. That hasn't happened in the swing yet. A couple times he's woken up, started to fuss a little, then settled right back down. He seems to prefer the side-to-side motion of the swing to the regular forward rocking motion, so thanks to Fisher-Price for realizing what babies really like.

A few things you might want to know about the swing but that are hard to find online:
1. This swing is not blue (as it looks in some of the pictures). The fabric is a nice lavender accented with a cream color. I think it's pretty gender neutral and I don't feel at all weird about having my son in it, but some people might.
2. The canopy around the swing is removable. I had wondered about this because it seems it might be cooler without it but I had trouble finding out whether or not it could come off. It can!
3. This swing has a plug, as well as runs on batteries. When using it with batteries, it will shut off after seven minutes in order to save the batteries and you need to restart it. It does not do this when plugged in. This was important to me because I intend to have the swing running the entire time he naps in it and did not want to have to be going over to restart it every seven minutes.
4. The built-in headrest is just perfect for my son. It cradles his head without confining him. I'm not sure if it will be more of a problem as he gets older, nor do I know if it comes off. I would check but he's sleeping on it right now and I am not about to wake a sleeping baby. Sorry! :-)
5. Some of the reviews have mentioned issues with the motor and the 6 speeds. When using the side-to-side motion, the speeds are more distinct and high speed really gets a-going, although that's what I use because it seems to work best. My son does not get bounced around in it at all, even on high speed. When turned to rock forward, the swing hardly moves at all, even on high speed. If I give it a nudge to get it going, then it seems to start up but it never gets as fast as the side-to-side motion does. I'm going to call customer service to see if there's anything that can be done about this. Perhaps it is a motor issue, or maybe I assembled something wrong. Either way, for now it's totally worth having the swing just for the side-to-side motion.
6. The swing does fold in somewhat for storing, but it doesn't really get much smaller. Don't expect to set it up and put it away after each use. And you have to fold up at least one leg if you're going to move it through a doorway, but it's really easy to do.

All in all, I'm totally glad I purchased this swing. It was a great price and it does exactly what I'd hoped it would.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good - Starlight Papasan (A Dad's review), January 14, 2010
Amazon Customer (Woodbrige, VA, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
We'll this may be a bit premature since we just got the cradle swing yesterday but so far here's what we think of it.
First off it was a cinch to put together. With the instructions next to me I had it assembled and ready in about 30 minutes. It was well packaged and everything went together without a hitch.
We bought the Starlight model since it has a plug. (I just can't understand for the life of me why all of these things aren't equipped with corded power options, also makes me wonder why these models are all bunched into one review if they have different features).
Once it was plugged in we put our daughter in (she is 3 weeks old), set the mobile on with no sounds and set the swing in a front-to-back rocking motion (her favorite when I'm carrying her bassinet) and she almost immediately started to doze off.
Our daughter has a weak stomach muscle and spits up quite a bit of juice if we don't keep her inclined for a while after feeding. In the still position it's inclined enough to be safe for her tummy and in the side-to-side swing it also seems to be ok. However in the front-to-back motion it leans her almost flat on her back and with-in a few moments she had spit up most of her meal... lesson learned. So the trick for us seems to be; no front-to-back unless she's already been resting in the inclined position for at least 30 minutes. Once she' rested this is her favorite motion and puts her to sleep fastest but she doesn't mind side-to-side either. As a matter of fact she's sleeping in it next to me on side-to-side right now while I type this and Mom is getting some much needed sleep.

THE MOTOR
I've read a few complaints about the noise. There is a clicking sound but I believe that is because the mechanism used to rock the cradle is not a continuous rotating axle that is locked to the swing, instead it seems to be an axle that is independent of the swing arm and pushes the swing arm when it rotates. So the click is the sound of the axle pushing against the swing arm. I consider this a good thing, if the axle was locked to the swing arm then any attempt to stop the cradle by hand while it was on could damage the motor, also starting it from a dead stop would cause some strain. So it seems like a decent alternative (Of course I could be way off base here).
The down side is that it doesn't seem to have much push, granted she's only 9lbs but I worry about the swing lasting till she's at the max weight (25lbs according to the manufacturer).
I could be wrong and I tell you why, it rocks with the slightest push and is so lubricated and balanced that it continues to rock well for a few seconds even with the motor off. So maybe it doesn't need much to keep it going once it's going... we'll see.
From what I've read I'm skeptical but I've read some reviews here that were so off base I question the source.
As far as the noise, it doesn't bother her, it's about as loud as a soft finger tap on a table and it's so rhythmic that we all 3 fell asleep to it but some people are light sleepers, you may want to demo it in a store or something first to see. It also seems to help if you give it a push to get it going once you figure out the timing on the swing, once the cradle is really swinging the noise is minimal.

So my only real gripe about the motor is that from the lowest setting to the highest, there's really no difference.
The speed is fine, I've read some reviews about people concerned that the swing would catapult their baby across the room, either mine is busted or they got the limited, twin turbo edition by Ferrari because the pace is nice and mellow on ours.
But she does like a little jiggle once in a while and while this swing will rock her slowly it's not speeding up at all. What I'd like to see is a setting for a faster jiggle without as much sway... if that makes sense, less distance more motion, kinda like a car ride which knocks her out almost immediately. The slow swing works great once she's asleep though.

THE SEAT
The padding is nice and soft (kind of a hammock effect under her bottom) and I really like that the head rest keeps her floppy noggin from whipping around when she squirms. In her bassinet I find her head cranked to one side a lot and it concerns me... I know, I know, they're not as fragile as we think they are but it wouldn't be comfortable for me so I can't see how she would enjoy it.
Anyway, I like the head rest, my only gripe is I wish it was removable. The way it is now the whole seat cover is sewn together and would need to be washed as a whole., though it did clean up nice with some soapy water and a little rinse.

THE MOBILE
The sounds are all nice and she doesn't really seem to have a preference but we like the crickets and night sounds. The music gets on my nerves after awhile.
She definitely likes the mobile and at 3 weeks that's impressive. If you find the pictures I added you'll see what I mean, she just stares at it and makes faces.
I gotta say I also like that the light keeps us able to see her in the dark so we can tell if she's awake and her eye's are open or she's just grunting/giggling in her sleep again.
There are enough options to get it working just about anyway you'd like, lights and mobile, mobile only, different sounds or songs, volume control and the seemingly useless speed control.

A SMALL GRIPE
So then my last gripe is that, I feel like it needs a cross bar between the legs, once it's positioned it seems fine but the legs wobble when I pick the whole thing up to move it around the house and it's takes some fussing to get it flat and stable again. A cross bar would be a nice stabilizer for those of us who want this thing to be a bit more mobile, definitely not a deal breaker but it would be nice.
[Update] So it turns out the one part I skipped in the manual was how to collapse the legs to help move the unit around, it's actually really helpful. Though I still feel like a cross bar that maybe dropped down once the legs were open would help me feel better about the stability. Still it's a small gripe.

Again we just got it so I'll try to update this in a month or 2 if anything changes.
Here's my summary

PROS:
Easy to assemble.
Easy to use.
She sleeps right away in it.
Feels safe so far.
Lots of options for fine tuning (with the exception of speed).
Plug's in! (Starlight Model)
Mobile and lights hold her interest.
Cute.

CONS:
Speed dial seems worthless.
Swing has one speed.
Motor may not have enough "oomph" for larger babies (unsure about this one).
Cushion is one piece, not as easy to wash as it could be.
Click may be annoying for some light sleepers.
Could use a cross bar between the legs for added stability when moving the unit around.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just a little info on the "fire hazard"., February 11, 2010
This swing uses a dc motor which all dc motors spark due to the commutator brushes that are installed and are required for the unit to run. The swing uses either 4D batteries or the ac adapter(transformer) which changes the AC power into DC power for the swing to operate. The sparks are totally normal and should cause no alarm. The brushes are made of carbon material which do have a smell to them kind of like a burning smell. If you have a power tool plug it in and smell where you see the sparks. I have no doubt that you will smell the same smell that you do from the swing. Believe me I am a father of 3 and I would never do anything to place my children in harms way. However, Fisher-Price could do a better job explaining this to customers and this would solve alot of concerns. I have been an aviation mechanic for 15 years and typically see this in all DC motors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Starlight cradle swing, January 10, 2013
This review is from: Fisher-Price Papasan Cradle Swing, Starlight (Baby Product)
I have noticed people ahave been placing reviews of other swings on here so take note to the exact swing i am referring to: fisher Price cradle swing, star light.

I am a person who read reviews til im blue in the face before ever buying the product. So if you're like me ill be as detailed as possible.

This swing is excellent in my opinion. Both my kids were swing kids and the cradle swing is the best kind in my opinion. I wouldnt waste your time with just an upright one becuase 9 times out of 10 by the time the baby is crawling he/she does not want to be confined to a swing, and so the upright ones are a waste because they are built more for older babies, not infants. Most of their trays arnt removable either. But most cradle swings, such as this one has a removable tray. I never used the tray with either one of my kids becuase by the time i'd need it they were mobile and wanted nothing to do with the swing.

The material of the swing is cotton and the headrest is a valour type material. Both soft and comfy and super easy to wash and remove stains from. My kids LOVED the stars that project. The music is a bit cheesey sounding but not horrible. It has a volume control which is nice and an option to where you dont have to play the music at all. If you dont want to.

It also has a rotating mobile with sleepy bears on it. Thereare several settings on the buttons to where just the mobile goes and no swinging and no stars. Or swinging with all three or no swinging and just stars etc etc. pretty much any option you want is on it, which is great.

The different speeds on the swing range from semi slow to ridiclously fast, haha! Depending on how heavy your kid is you may have to adjust the speed more. Sometimes you do have to give the swing a few nudges to get going especially if the baby is over 12 lbs.

The option for baby to swing side to side or front to back is nice. Both my kids prefered side to side. Also both my kids slept in the swing at some point over night and never fell out. I just kept it on the slowest swing setting. Some people might think thats too risky but it worked fine for me. The swing also has a button that has 2 setting for the seat it self . its either in an upright position or a laying back position. the laying back position is all i ever used. Once baby got stronger and could start rolling over i stopped having them sleep in it unless i was a wake in the room with him/her.
The swing motor will go on until you stop it yourself if its plugged into the wall and it will stop on its own after 20 mins or so if its run on the D batteries alone. But the stars that project turn off after 15 mins or so if its plugged in or just batteries used.

The stars are super bright. I believe its an LED bulb thats used.

I saw that one person had stated their swing material was more of a lavender color. Mine is definitly a pale BLUE. Its a great color for both boy or girl. Especislly if you are are like how i was and planned to havemore than one child and didnt want to have to buy everything twice just because of the color. My first was a girl and my second was a boy so im glad i didnt get a pink one first time around.

The legs for the stand fold up and makes for storing a little easier even though the swing itself is pretty bulky. If the legs arent folded out all the way before starting the swing with your child in it, it will sweak a bit and not rock as well. Sounds like a stupid mistake but it only takes one leg only needing to be another 1/2in further out to not make it squeak sometimes.
You can hear the gears making it swing fairly well so its not super quiet but its quiet enough for baby to sleep just fine. If you're concerned about the noise for yourself if baby will be sleeping in it in the same room as you while you 're sleeping as well, dont sweat it, its not that loud. Besides, it beats hearing a baby crying constantly and im sure you're tired enough from being up all night long to not even notice it. Atleast that was the case for me. Especially with baby #2.
All in all this swing is excellent. Especially if you have a baby that is tough to get to sleep, like i did. Fisher price is a great brand and built this swing very sturdy and it lasts for a long time. I'd recommend it to anyone. I hope my review was helpful even if it wasnt well organized, lol!

1.0 out of 5 stars choking hazard!, July 2, 2009
Sam M (California) - See all my reviews
This swing almost killed our daughter! At first we loved this swing for our newborn daughter, until at about age 4 months, she grabbed the netting and started sucking on it. The netting tore in to large pieces in her mouth. She had no teeth at this point. I heard her making choking noises and was horrified to find her mouth full of the fabric. She had swallowed some of it, and other peices were caught in her throat. She used to nap in the swing. If I hadn't been right there, she absolutely could have choked to death. Although we notified Fisher Price, and the CPSC, we never heard any follow up. We sent the netting to Fisher Price for them to analyze, but they never gave us any comment or explanation. The swing is lovely, but please remove the netting! It is an absolute death hazard!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good information herein!, April 1, 2010
Matthew Dyer (South of the Mason-Dixon Line!) - See all my reviews
Lots of great reviews on this page with all sorts of good information. Accordingly, I'm going to jump right to things that I found very important.

1. You need to go to the Fisher Price website and study each individual model. This is especially important if you want the option to use a cord and plug into the wall. The My Little Lamb swing does NOT have the cord. It's batteries or nothing. The Papsan Starlight swing, on the other hand, does. Again, the best thing to do is to study the models on the Fisher Price website to figure out which ones do and do not have this option. Amazon puts ALL reviews for Fisher Price swings into the same batch, so it can be quite confusing. Study the Fisher Price website for your best information.

2. The My Little Lamb only uses batteries, but the battery life seems to be rather good. We put new ones in it a couple weeks ago and have been using it about an hour and a half a day and it's still going strong. I wanted the cord because I thought I'd be going through 4 D cell batteries every two days, but this really hasn't been the case.

3. The My Little Lamb sing adjustment speed control really seems to work. On slow speeds the thing swings rather slowly, and on fast speeds the thing really zips from side to side. On the Papasan Starlight, however, it seems to be on or off. I've tested it at all different settings and there really seems to be no difference.

4. These swings seem to be semi-disposable. They seem to last about one or two kids. If you search around on the internet, you begin to see a lot of stories about replacing burned-out motors, about how on the second or third kid the swing gave up the ghost. A friend lent us their My Little Lamb to put upstairs and it was used for their oldest, and I do notice a big difference in the swing speed and sound generated by the motor. The used motor really seems to struggle to keep the swing going. Long story short, buying one of these things new seems to be prudent. The used one you get on CL for $75 really isn't a bargain.

5. The motors do make noise. Somebody said they were silent, that you could barely hear them. I've looked at four and haven't seen that yet. They make a grinding noise that isn't too loud, and the baby doesn't seem to care. You'll be so tired you won't care about the noise, but if you're expecting near silence, think again. I do notice, though, that the two My Little Lamb swings we have are much quieter than the Papasan swing. If you're putting it in the bedroom, that might be a big deal.

6. The Starlight is REALLY cool, but it's quite bright. When I first turned it on the kid sort of jumped in shock. He was very interested and it is a very cool effect, but it's a bit brighter than I expected.

7. The My Little Lamb version is sort of the industry standard. Of the five moms I know who have these, four have the My Little Lamb. It's cheap and works well.

8. The seats are adjustable for upright and reclining. Most people put the seat in the upright position because it helps the little one deal better with a big meal.

9. These things are semi-portable. You can click the legs in and carry it up and down a flight of stairs. However, they weigh about 30 pounds and the legs are really long and it's a bit of a chore. It helps to be tall. If you can afford it, buying one for upstairs and one for downstairs is a really good idea.

These swings are really good and can save your life. A good trick is to only use the new position feature (switching from side to side swinging to front to back swinging) only when absolutely necessary. I found that the kid will be fussing away and nothing else is working, and if you make the switch the newness and unusualness of it will often be enough to distract him and get him to do to sleep.

4.0 out of 5 stars Baby and I like this Swing, January 24, 2007
elviswoman (Dallas, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I recently received this swing as a gift for my 2 month old preemie. She LOVES the lights, the rotating stuffed animals, and the sounds. And she seems comfortable in the seat too. The seat snaps into two positions, a reclined position and a sitting position. Additionally, you can set the swing up to go from side to side or forward and backward.

I did have an incident last week where we had some power surges here in the neighborhood WHILE we were using this swing. When the power came back on, I tried all the different switches to turn it on and it didn't work, then later on, it finally did work. This swing has so many switches on it and I admit to being too lazy to read the instructions for all of the functions that each of the switches perform. That said, I don't know if the failure was user error or a quality issue. It appears to be functioning just fine as of this writing so I think it was me.

Another user cites instability of the stand on this swing. I have had no problem with this as I tested it carefully before putting baby in. Also, we leave the swing set up in one place in our house all the time, so we haven't had have to worry about not opening the stand up all the way beyond the initial setup. This might be more of a concern for someone who needs to put it away and take it back out a lot.

I personally like the fact that the mobile, the rocking, and the sounds are independent of each other, so you have a lot of variety to entertain baby with. I LOVE the fact that you can use batteries OR the wall outlet to power this thing. Thank GOODNESS for not being held hostage to battery manufacturers anymore, but having that option if we wanted to use it where electricity isn't available.

I would recommend this swing, but I would check for a reasonable return policy first before buying and keep the packaging for a couple of weeks after you receive it just to be sure you and your baby are happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome product, great company!, August 20, 2010
I received a Nature's Touch Papasan Cradle Swing on loan from a friend, as we are expecting our first child. My friend had loaned it to another one of her friends, and then passed it to me. I found it very easy to assemble. However, when I went to insert fresh batteries to get it up and running, I found that the previous users had left batteries (off-brand batteries to boot) in the battery compartment and they had leaked acid, destroying the springs, corroding the terminals, and basically rendering the unit non-functional. I contemplated just replacing the swing, but decided on a whim to contact Fisher Price to see if a replacement part was available. I explained the situation just as I have to you, and they offered to send me a new top part to the swing, including the battery housing, motor, mobile, etc. FREE OF CHARGE. I asked the operator if she realized that the malfunction was not a fault of the company, it was purely operator error, and she replied that they were just interested in making sure that the product was safe for use. All they asked was that I send them the old part - they even send me a shipping label, so I did not have to pay for that either. I was shocked and could not have asked for better service from a company. As for the swing itself, it has all of the features you would ever need - several variable speeds, side-to-side or back-and-forth motions, many music or nature sounds choices, etc. I strongly urge you to consider this and/or any other Fisher Price products - you will not be disappointed in the service they provide!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a lot of quality for $159.99, December 30, 2006
For the price of this cradle/swing, I'd hoped for a lot more quality and reliability than I got. First, the stand seemed a little wobbly--you really need to make sure that the feet are as wide as possible when setting it up as they don't lock into an optimal position. Even worse, however, is that after less than two days of use, the lights, sound, and mobile stopped working. Calls to "customer service" were a complete waste of time and I ended up returning the item. While the netting and other features appeared attractive and desirable, I'd have to recommend purchasing a less expensive Papasan cradle/swing.

5.0 out of 5 stars It Saved My Sanity!! Love It!, January 17, 2008
I shelled out the not-so-affordable cost of $150.00 for this swing when it first came on the market because my husband and I were expecting a baby girl. I thought it was a bit steep for a swing (my son's cost me $50 when he was born and he hated it), but I decided that since family picked up most of the other necessities, it was do-able, and besides, it matched her crib set almost perfectly. I am SO glad I bought it.
My daughter turned out to have colic, and the only thing that worked was this swing. If she cried on one setting, we flipped it to the other. The lights and music seemed to keep her distracted from any distress from the colic, and every time we turn it on the look on her face is strictly wonder. She completely refuses to sleep in her crib or bassinette, so for the past 5 months, she has spent virtually every night in this swing. The best part is that it plugs into the wall, which is great because the last thing I need with 2 young kids is ANOTHER thing that eats batteries.
These are my only issues with the swing (and I'd still buy it over and over if given the chance)... 1) It's very hard to transport. It only folds in half, and my husband and I travel a lot to see family, so we usually have to take it apart or abandon it for the weekend (which results in no sleep for me). 2) The lace canopy I just had to remove recently because my daughter is a little grabby at 5 months old and constantly pulls it over herself and tries to suck on it, but no biggie. 3) After useing it every night for 5 months (which is about 150 nights at 8 hours per night) it gets a little squeak to it...WD-40 cleared it right up though.

Fisher-Price Papasan Cradle Swing, Starlight