5.0 out of 5 stars Ridin' Dirty!
I ordered this Jeep from the actual Fisher Price site because Amazon did not yet have it and I needed it for my 3 year old's birthday. It is pretty awesome. I'm not sure how it compares to the Rubicon or the Barbie version but it does work on grass!

Published on August 13, 2010 by Accountant Dude

1.0 out of 5 stars Can't return if shows up broken, caveat emptor.
Thought it could be great, but the plastic mold came with a piece broken, and Amazon won't accept returns because the battery is considered hazardous material. So, I paid around $200 for something i have to throw out. Thanks Amazon.
Published 3 months ago by Fiona Watson

5.0 out of 5 stars Ridin' Dirty!, August 13, 2010
This review is from: Fisher-Price Power Wheels Tough Talking Jeep Wrangler (Toy)

The "rockin' tunes" are funny to listen to (it is essentially an electric guitar solo). The volume adjustment works well and will play somewhat loud. I marked it as 5 star educational because my kid is learning how to drive and mess with the radio AND talk on the microphone at the same time.

At 2.5 MPH my kid who weighs 31 lbs wasn't quite heavy enough to get it through longer grass (longer as in hadn't mowed the lawn in 2 weeks). When there was another child in the jeep, it would go fine on the grass. When I took out the safety screw so he could go 5 MPH, he went through the longer grass by himself without spin-outs.

He's been riding it every day for about 30 minutes for almost a week now (mostly in the 5 MPH mode) and I haven't had to recharge the battery yet.

Setting it up was a breeze. Just needed a longer phillips head screwdriver. I used a drill with an extender for some of the screws and it went quick.

As a side note, it looks way cooler without the tribal art. We didn't put the tribal art (stickers) on the hood or the sides and it is shiny/glossy/metallic looking black.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs up, but a few cautionary notes before buying, August 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
After comparing a half dozen of these motorized ride-on toys, we discovered they are VERY similar, the main differences being the style (truck, car, tractor, etc). For example, I have complaints about the quality of this Fisher Price Jeep, but in fact it's higher quality than some of the other units we compared (even more expensive ones). So a lot of these comments apply equally to all Fisher Price motorized toys (and even some other brands as well):

========

* PRICE ... Watch the prices! When i ordered it, the price was $199 with free Prime shipping, which is exceptional (smaller units start around $250 in stores). Now the price is $306, and may go up even more at Christmas time. The average price point is $250-$300. This is just a warning to watch the price!!

* SHIPPING ... Comes in HUGE heavy box. The box was undamaged, but the left motor broke off in transit, and cracked the frame. I decided to repair it myself instead of waiting for replacement parts (or trying to cram it back in the box), & noticed a design flaw - the rear electric motors (rear wheel drive, each wheel has its own motor) are not attached well at all, I believe there's a good chance they will eventually break off. My suggestion, while assembling it, drill a few extra screws into the frame for extra support.

* ASSEMBLY ... You have to assemble *everything* - absolutely nothing comes pre-assembled. For example, see the rear roll-bar in the photo? That alone is 16 pieces to be screwed together, not including the decals. Allow 90 minutes, but my repair took another 90 minutes, making assembly time a little over 3 hours total for me (from box to complete unit).

For assembly, all you need is Phillips screwdriver (or preferably, cordless screwdriver or cordless drill). The kit comes with a pair of small wrenches (to attach the wheels).

* SIZE ... This will NOT fit through a normal doorway, it's wider than most of the ones I've seen in stores. That makes storage a HUGE pain.

* AGES ... I know the box says 3-6 years, but I say more like 2-5 years. Granted my kids are taller than average, but my 4-year old is already bumping her knees against the dashboard - I'm sure she will have outgrown it by age 6. My 2 1/2 year old does fine with it.

* WHEELS ... Are hard plastic, they slip easily. No worse than any other model, but it basically doesn't work at all in our yard, too many slopes. The ideal surface for this is flat astroturf, but it works well on a flat parking lot. It slips on our wood deck (no traction). It also slips on even slightly damp grass, on uneven grass or tall grass, and uphill.

There are several solutions. You can buy "traction bands" (basically big fat rubber bands), or, spray the tires with rubber grip, available at any hardware store for $6-12 per can. It will peel off over time, just re-apply. Or do an Amazon search for product numbers B0006SU3QW or B007I6IFX8.

* CAPACITY ... This is a 2-seater, fits 2 children fine. Be aware of the dangers of having 2 kids in a vehicle that's easy to jump out of (yes, my 2-year-old jumps out of it while it's still moving, and both kids have had their toes run over several times now! Fortunately no major damage)

The box says weight capacity is 130 pounds, but this thing WILL hold up to 200 pounds (don't ask me how I know this LOL...at night after bedtime, daddy sometimes takes it out for a little joy ride!!).

* BATTERY ... This is basically a small 12 volt car battery (half-size). Remove the battery (under the hood) & bring it inside to charge. It needs to charge it at least once a month or it will die. It's a proprietary battery, you can find generics on eBay or Amazon, or else buy a replacement (or spare) from fisher price.

Battery lasts at least 4 hours (when new). The battery life will shorten over time, best case scenario it will last you a couple years. The instructions say it takes 18 hours to charge, but there is no light indicator, so the only way to know if's full is to check with a battery tester or multimeter. Do not overcharge the battery (i.e., don't leave it plugged in for days at a time) - this AC adapter/charger is not a trickle charger and could fry your battery to overcharge.

* SPEED / GEARS ... There are actually 4 gears, controlled by a shifter in the middle: Low (2.5 mph), High (5 mph), Reverse and allegedly there's a Park (which i can't find, no matter how much I fiddle with the gear shifter). So realistically there's only 3 gears, though it ~really~ needs a brake or a park (while kids are loading/unloading, etc). It comes with a screw in the shifter to lock out high gear - remove the screw when your kids are ready for more speed.

Actually I think the "slow" speed at 2.5mph is still a little fast for small children. Keep in mind, the gas pedal is not an accelerator - it's just an on/off switch. There is no speeding up or slowing down (just go & stop), so you get some whiplash. And there is NO brake pedal.

* TURNING RADIUS ... isn't great, probably 6-8 feet. You really need a lot of flat space to use this. And this is heavy & bulky to take to the park or something like that. You could throw it in a pickup truck fairly easily, but it's too bulky to transport easily in a minivan, crossover, or sedan. If you don't have a big flat yard, or a school/park right next door, think twice.

* TRUNK ... there's really no room in the trunk, despite how the photos look. It's about 3" deep. It looks like there's room for toys, or almost a 3rd child. I believe the motor could probably handle a small 3rd child, but sadly there's no room. Though I've thought about adding a hitch and rigging a trailer to it (DIY).

* STORAGE ... Only option really is garage or shed (with no stairs). The sun will fade it, there are lots of little pockets for water to get trapped, which will rust & breed mosquitos.

* WEIGHT ... It's heavy, about 55 pounds. You have to lift it, it's very difficult for an adult to "drive" it. We have stairs to our front porch, which makes this really difficult to move & store. And it's longer & taller than necessary (the front bumper & the roll bars add several inches to the dimensions), and there's no handles, no good place to lift it. If you try lifting it by the roll bars, they will break.

* STYLING ... is excellent, love the looks of it, lots of little Jeep details. Neighborhood kids love it too.

* OTHER AMENITIES ... None really. No horn, radio, lights or anything like that. All these things are decals. It has a fake key/ignition switch that doesn't do anything.

========

So while my kids & I have a blast with it, I still have mixed feelings because we so rarely use it. And they don't really ask for it either. It's a pain to pull out, a pain to store it, and a pain to keep charged up. I have an oversized lot (huge yard, fairly flat), yet it's not even enough, and it's frustrating for everyone as the Jeep gets stuck on a stick or a clump of grass. We have a blast taking it to the neighborhood playground, but loading it up is a chore (I have to take the rear seat out of the minivan in order to transport it). I have a feeling for many people, this is like the exercise machines that get used once or twice then get forgotten.

Well, that's a BUNCH of objective information that will hopefully help you in your shopping - Good Luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Investment!!! Take the leap!, November 19, 2011
Yes, this is a costly number, for sure. Practically speaking, it is hard to spend over $250 for a toy for a toddler (especially in this tough economy). In our case, we have 4 year old twins. Initially, we wondered if buying one would cause a problem, but, there was no way we were going to takes leaps and bounds to buy two, when, let's face it- kids need to learn how to share. So, we assembled the power wheel and charged the battery before we presented the girls with this Dora ride. The colors are inviting and fun- the girls immediately took to it.

Now, I will say that once we took it outside and tried it out, it was a bit tough because we had a small drive way and the sidewalk to work with. If you have a large yard or are at a park when your child is learning to work this thing- it is definitely more ideal and easier for the child to learn to maneuver. Our kids, who are typically eager to learn, did get a bit down when they didn't immediately know how to drive the power wheel or constantly shift the gears (drive and reverse (again, working with a tight space) ). The amount of attention and effort they had to put into it lessened their interest in the power wheel. But, with time and practice (also very important lessons for kids) they got the swing of things and quickly excelled to shifting gears with ease and without our direction. Not sure if anyone else experienced this issue, but, I, myself found the wheel to be a bit tough to move to the left or right. I think with more usage that became less of an issue as the girls realized they had to put some effort and muscle into it, lol.

Overall, the money spent was worth the video we take of them riding and driving each other around. When we go for walks (we walk, they drive) to the park, they are happy to share the power wheel with others and its a cool experience to have as a child ( I think (especially since I never had one). My husband, who initially felt like $250+ was a waste to spend on a power wheel later thought it was a great investment. The girls have tons of fun in the car.

They are each 43 Lbs and ride smoothly and quickly when on the fast gear, 5mph. On our walks around the block or to the park, they drive at the lower gear, 2mph.

A great toy for developing/honing motor skills. A great physical activity and also raises the child's level of awareness of their strengths and surroundings. If you take the plunge, you will not be disappointed if you gift this to your child so long as you are as involved as they are :D!

P.S The map and backpack are cool additions- the girls recognized the characters from the show and it was a pleasant familiarity. They are removeable and the back pack does open. The map does not open up though. There is also a space in the back of the jeep that we usually use to store our gatorade bottles, etc.

Oh, one last thing- the girls ride this on grass/ grass hills, asphalt, etc, so you can really maximize the use of this thing to make it worth your while! Take lots of pictures and video.

Just remember, we have our kids at their young age once...anything to make their life's memories pleasant is always worth cutting back in other areas to make such an item like a power wheel possible :) ( it took us many, many months to finally decide to make the purchase, but we are glad we did. Also, we did not do a birthday party so we could have more of an intimate experience to be able to put the money directly towards them. By far, the best bday we could have given them because we directly gave them our time and attention rather than worrying about guests, party favors, etc. We have later years to worry about that :) )

5.0 out of 5 stars Fisher Price Jeep, August 30, 2010
This is the best. We had purchased a 6 volt battery operated tractor and it did not have enough power. I would recommend anything 12 volt. My grandson is 2 years old and he has a ball with this jeep. Goes on grass, dirt and pavement. Highly recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Can't return if shows up broken, caveat emptor., September 13, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun for hours!, April 27, 2011
Tara Burgio (Greensboro, NC, US) - See all my reviews
My 4 year old got this for his birthday. We have the faster gear locked out for now but he drives his 2 year old sister around and it is so much fun for them and also to watch them drive around and play. He has only had it for three weeks so I am not sure how durable it will be but so far so good. The battery stays charged for multiple uses. Overall I would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for young toddlers., October 13, 2014
Bought this for my niece who's turning 3 and she loves it!!! We also have one for my daughter. Well built and very sturdy. Although it's not very good on tall grass, it works great on paved roads.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for even the smallest of 3 year olds, April 4, 2013
Research for the right item at the right price and found this unit. This jeep performs well as described and give my son joy... also gets me out walking fast to keep up with him....

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this and your Christmas shopping is DONE!, September 23, 2014
Judy Smith "judylynnsbooks" (jamestown, ky United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is one of those "can't go wrong" toys. Every kid wants their own set of wheels! This is the one toy that will outshine all the others on Christmas Day, especially if you live in a warmer climate where it can be put right to use. It will provide hours of fun.
Be advised of a few details other reviewers have noted:

It will arrive in a very large (2 feet by 4 &1/2 feet by 1 foot) box that weighs 78 lbs. You'll need help getting it inside unless you drag it (which I suspect the UPS driver did judging by the box wear) and it has a huge graphic on the box showing exactly what's inside. That could pose a problem if this is a gift.

Assembly can take anywhere from one to three hours depending on your skill level and patience threshold.
The battery requires an 18 hour initial charge before use. If you're putting it together on Christmas Eve and start the charging process then, it will be Christmas Afternoon before it will be drivable, so plan ahead.

It's best to have a good clear workspace to assemble it on. A large dining room table will substitute for a large workbench; you can do it on the floor if your back and knees are up to it. It's cleverly packed with the loose parts all tucked into the nooks and crannies of the main body. If you unpack it and decide you don't want it I firmly believe it would be easier to go ahead and assemble it than to try to get it back in the box... but seriously, I laid it flat and opened one end of the carton and was able to pull the whole shebang out without much effort.
A quick inspection/inventory revealed no shipping damage or missing parts.
I was concerned that the 2 weeks it sat in the living room, boxed up, the lead-acid battery was upside down but it didn't leak, it's apparently well-sealed but the manufacturer warns of charging on a surface that can be damaged by acid and to do it in a well-ventilated area; so leakage is apparently possible. Mine didn't leak, and when I charged the battery for the first time (out of the Jeep) I set it down in a plastic bucket just in case. 20 hours of charging time later, there was no moisture on the battery case. As a side note, I heard my husband musing about "why hasn't Lithium Ion technology filtered down to these toys like it has for modern cordless tools?" (whatever that means).

It was assembled in probably an hour total time, here and there over 2 days. There were no problems to note, and the hardware left over is from an intentional "overpack" by Fisher-Price; better to have an extra screw than to be one short. That's a nice touch.
I actually like the minimalist look of leaving off some of the graphics, particularly on the sides. When all the stickers were applied, it just looks a little "busy" but that's just me.

Our unit hasn't made it's maiden voyage yet, it's waiting for a special new rider (but I swear those wheels have a little wear that wasn't there before and my husband has been left alone with it; maybe I should "chalk" the wheels like the meter maids do to see if it's being moved), it is hard to resist the urge to joyride.

Our last previous experience with battery powered ride-on toys was a Bigfoot Ford Truck circa 1984 when these were relatively new to the marketplace. That was the coolest toy then, and 30 years later it still is, in my opinion.

The list price of $299 is a little steep, but as of this writing the Amazon price is $209, shipped free so that takes the sting out of it.
I can't attest to the longevity of this particular toy as it hasn't been put to the test yet but they are pretty much all the same and the bugs have pretty much been worked out through the years. It's powered by dual motors and one battery, the Bigfoot had one motor and 2 smaller batteries that actually lasted for a couple of years. It's mandatory that you store it with the battery fully charged; the manufacturer doesn't specify this but I'd recommend that if you store the Jeep long-term on end (to save space) as some reviewer suggested that you remove the battery first and store it upright. Just my suggestion; possible battery acid leaks are an equal opportunity destroyer of many materials.

Common sense and diligent supervision are the best safety tools you have; use them. A child small enough to drive/ride on this toy is too young to ride it unsupervised; they can cover a lot of ground with an hour and a half of estimated run time between charges. Be safe and have fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's the Little Jeep That Could! Not Just for Boys, August 15, 2014
Length:: 0:42 Mins

My daughter has the Power Wheels Barbie Jammin Jeep Wrangler and even though she has technically outgrown it, she still loves to drive it from time to time. So this is a great addition to our family's 'vehicles'. Riding in the video is a way too big 10 year-old and a perfectly sized 5 year-old although I think this would be great for a three to eight year-old.

The Jeep is pretty easy to assemble and took about 45 minutes to put together after everything was out of the box. You will need a second person for at least one step (the axle) and it makes it easier for a couple of the others. It helps to have a power screwdriver but there are a few spots that you need a long phillips head. I would recommend putting some of the decals on before assembly but not all of them. The dashboard decal is easier to put on in advance than trying to do it with the steering wheel in the way and there are two black circles that go on the 'pipes' that are easier to put on before assembly.

The jeep is fun and rugged looking complete with rollbars. The tires are a hard plastic which makes them spin out a little at times but overall they do fine. They also work on grass. The battery lasts quite a long time. Our Jammin' Jeep is over 3 years old and still going strong.

The Jeep holds two kiddos and has a gear in front of the seat that has three speeds: low speed (about 2.5 miles per hour), high speed (about 5 miles per hour) and reverse. There is a lock screw that you can keep in the gear that only allows it to go in low and reverse. Our video shows high speed as well.

The fun and freedom for kids riding this is wonderful. It gives them just enough power to move them along but not so much that they are in danger. Of course, adult supervision and the optional helmet are good things too. There are finishes on this that will not hold up for a long time. The fake chrome is sure to start fading but it doesn't really matter.

This is a big investment and you want to know if it will last and if it is worth it. The answer is it depends on your budget, your child and how well you take care of it. We've had a lot of fun with both models and although they aren't used every day, if you live in an area where you can just get it out quickly and go, then it will be used more. If you make sure it is put away when done and not left out in the sun and rain, then it will last longer.

We love our experiences with these and highly recommend them. And if your girls are like mine, they don't always want pink. Blue is great for boys and girls!

Fisher-Price Power Wheels Tough Talking Jeep Wrangler