4.0 out of 5 stars Better than its predecessor, still needs work though
Published on January 21, 2007 by O. Funkhouser

3.0 out of 5 stars Same song, different verse
Reading these reviews is hilarious -- everyone's comments, for the most part, reflect ours. We received the bouncer as a gift so aren't so concerned about getting value for our money. But we agree with/have noticed the following:

1. It does get too loud. We've put masking tape over most of the speaker holes. Function before fashion.

2. Our frog...
Published on May 10, 2007 by Milehikrs

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than its predecessor, still needs work though, January 21, 2007
This review is from: Fisher-Price Rainforest Bouncer (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Baby Product)
This seat is for our 3 month old daughter who weighs 15 pounds. First, I'll point out the pros of this bouncer seat. The music is wonderful. The waterfall is captivating. The colors are mesmerizing. She can sit in the seat for 25 minutes easily. The seat takes 4 D-size batteries. Unlike other bouncer seats we have used, there is only one compartment for 4 D-sized batteries. Unlike its predecessor (the Ocean Wonder Aquarium), the Rainforest bouncer keeps our child AWAKE. If we wanted our child to sleep, we'd put her in bed, not the bouncer. So Fisher Price definitely got it right this time! A++!

The cons is that the seat was used twice before it started to make this loud clicking noise from the bar. Being an engineer, I took it apart and noticed that the gears are designed to click (or skip a gear) if a child were to grab the frog or the monkey while it is moving. This prevents the gears from being stripped or the motor overheating. However, the tension on this "gear skipping" behavior is too sensitive such that after 3 hours of use, the clicking occurs from just the friction of the frogs moving up and down on the bar.

I called customer support about the clicking and they promptly sent a replacement bar. After 2 weeks of using the new bar, it started clicking. Argh! The good thing is that the new bar does it randomly. We're willing to live with the flaw and the annoying clicking from time to time for the Pros listed above.

The other con is questionable. There is much debate about the height of the toys on the bar. Being an "infant" bouncer, it is designed such that the child can grab the toys and even pull the rings off the monkey. Our daughter loves it! We do have the Fisher Price "Kick and Play" which is designed for slightly older children in that it provides more clearance between the child and the toys ... hence "Kick and Play."

The bouncer comes with a one-year warranty. So for a year, I can get replacement bars as the clicking becomes annoying. After replacing enough of them, will their engineers will fix the problem? I hope so.

19 March 2007:
The clicking has returned with the replacement bar and won't go away. I called Fisher Price for a replacement bar. While they really wanted to send a voucher for $48, I pressed to have another toy bar sent as a replacement. At that point, customer service informed me that there is a backlog of replacements on this bar till 30 April 2007. Customer service continues to be very friendly and easy to deal with. We're willing to wait for the new bar ...

4.0 out of 5 stars Great seat for baby!, August 11, 2007
Biblioholic Beth (Portland, Oregon USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
We've had this for a few months now, and it's still one of the "go-to" items in our house. Our daughter enjoys the lights and music and is challenged to reach the dangling toys with her hands. She also loves to prop her feet up on the bar;) The only minor gripe I have is that you cannot lower the volume of music and have it stay that way - if the music stops, then when it starts again, it pops right back up to regular volume. However, that is a *very* minor gripe, since the music is not too terribly loud in the first place. Highly recommended!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Same song, different verse, May 10, 2007
Milehikrs (Aurora, CO USA) - See all my reviews

2. Our frog clicks too. I sort of bent it outward (away from the frame) and the problem has been resolved now for several weeks.

3. The vibration of the battery box is BAD. I will try the idea of taping it up somehow to the underside of the seat. We have arranged a temporary fix by putting a firm sofa cushion under the front edge of the chair to support the box and muffle the vibration.

4. The toys are WAY too low. Our daughter is just now three months old and she's been hitting her legs on them for weeks. We will be cutting the parrot off this weekend as it's the worst offender.

5. You should supervise your child in this chair. It has a tendency to be somewhat overstimulating with the vibration and the music and the waterfall and the constant movement. Wish there was a way to have the waterfall without the music -- again, masking tape would solve that problem.

All that being said, the chair is fun, bright, and a good place to park the child after a feeding or while tending to chores. Just wish they had tested it with a real baby.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great bouncer seat, December 31, 2006
i was surprised to read so many negative reviews...my 5 mth old loves this! Yes the rings come off easily, but they're unnecessary anyway so we didn't even keep them. My daughter will stay in it for not a very long time but at least 15-20 minutes. I don't think she'll fit in it at 25 lbs., but at 15 she is fine. The waterfall and moving animals are a hit!

4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied with mine, July 19, 2007
My daughter loves her bouncy seat. At first, it was the only place (other than our arms) that she would sleep. After her 3rd month she started using the toys and at 5mos we are still enjoying it. The vibration feature is another plus. One tip though the music has two settings, motion activated and continuous play. The continuous play wears the batteries down quickly. Bouncy seats really are "must haves" for parents.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cute but several problems...., November 4, 2007
This bouncer is cute and seemed nice when I got it. However, it was not very practical. When my baby was still very small his legs hit the plastic vibrating piece. Also, the little animals on the toybar made loud clicky noises when they moved. Not very relaxing. The hanging toys also laid on top of his legs. On the box it shows the baby nestled farther up so this didn't happen, but anytime I put a baby in this they slid down further and the toys hung on them and they kicked the plastic piece. I returned this, not very comfy, even when he was still little.

4.0 out of 5 stars Had some issues..., January 18, 2007
My son thoroughly enjoys playing in the bouncer. However, approximately three weeks after receiving the bouncer, the toy bar began making a horrible clicking noise. I telephoned Fisher Price and their customer service was great. They immediately sent me out a complimentary replacement toy bar, no questions asked. Overall I am quite happy with the bouncer and Fisher Price.

4.0 out of 5 stars bouncer, March 7, 2007
Max / Maksim "kerchmax" (San Leandro, California) - See all my reviews
This bouncer model is the best available currently on the market, even though there are few flaws and room for improvement, as other Amazonians pointed out. But it does work and keeps our baby entertained, while leaving parents some much needed time for other important things around the house. Sounds and lights are easily activated by baby's movement, but volume can not be adjusted. Vibration mode could keep baby amuzed for about 1/2 hour first month, but later our baby got used to it and does not care for it as before. We also like to use this bouncer without play bar, as simple comfy chair. This way baby could listen & see parents or watch together 'Baby First' TV. I higly recommend this product to new parents or as baby shower gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, despite the clicking sound., May 21, 2007
Our second child is almost 7 months old. In the course of his short life, we've owned 4 bouncers (baby papasan, ocean wonders, a blue carters brand bouncer and this rainforest bouncer). Every bouncer has had its problems. The papasan was so boring that even at 2 weeks old, he was bored in the seat. The ocean wonders sits at such a steep vertical angle that he would slip over and nearly fall out of the seat at 2 months old. The carters brand bouncer was also very boring.

THIS bouncer, however, is quite nearly perfect. It leans back just enough to accommodate a floppy-headed newborn. My son finds the "waterfall" effect fascinating. The music isn't terribly annoying, and can be turned down with the push of a button. I love that the toy bar is easily removed with one hand (the vibration function works when the toy bar is off, if you want baby to sleep). With the toy bar taken off, you can also bounce it to soothe baby.

Our bouncer (purchased dec 06) did start to make the clicking sound about a month after purchase. We called fisher price, they sent us a replacement immediately. Their customer service is great. Five months later, the bouncer is still working perfectly and has been our baby's favorite seat ever since. At almost 7 months old, our baby is 17.5 lbs, and sadly, the seat will have to be put away. We've gotten 6 solid months of use out of this bouncer, and he is still not bored with it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Good bouncing seat...but the pros end there..., February 23, 2009
I'll make this short for you...buy a different bouncer. My son loves to bounce in this chair, but he can bounce in a $19 chair just as good as this almost $50 one. When I say bounce, I mean I gently bounce him in the chair...the chair is way to boring for him to get excited enough to bounce it on it's own.

The bar does not snap off easily...you have to snap off each side at the same time to make it come off easily, otherwise it is a struggle. The vibrating function is LOUD. The so called activity bar is lame, in my opinion. You can't make it stay on...it is only activated by shaking it. The angle on it is also poorly designed unless your baby is just the right size (and they are only that "right" size for a short time since they grow so quickly when they are little). The hanging toys hang way too low for baby to actually see...they are so low that they pretty much hang on baby's lap.

I am very frustrated with Fisher Price and their Rainforest bouncer because they are one of the few companies out there with this design (the Rainforest collection) that is actually designed for baby and not moms wanting something to look good in their living room. Pastels are pointless for babies at this age...you need reds, white, black...bright colors contrasting with eachother in simple patterns. Fisher Price is almost there with the Rainforest collection, but they fell short on this bouncer. I now have a $45 seat for my baby. YAY!!