I bought this for my three year-old son and here is what I think of it.

The pros:

1. The volume maximum is not so loud that it will hurt their ears if they turn it up all the way.

2. The construction is sturdy, good for rough and tumble pre-schoolers who like to drop and throw things.

3. The large buttons and icon navigation are...
Published on November 1, 2006 by Selina Ariel

1.0 out of 5 stars Maybe it's Kid Tough, but it's not User Friendly
Having had this player for less than a week, this review is based on limited use but seems to be consistent with some of the other comments I have read.

Pros:

The only thing I can really come up with is that it is simple enough for a 3 year old to use. As for its toughness, read below.

Cons:

1) Same complaint as others regarding...
Published on December 27, 2006 by Peter_Gibbons

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Start Fisher Price, But The Music Downloading is a PAIN, November 1, 2006
This review is from: Fisher Price Kid Tough FP3 Song & Story Player - Blue (Toy)
I bought this for my three year-old son and here is what I think of it.

The pros:

3. The large buttons and icon navigation are very easy for a 3 year-old to understand.

4. The "create your own icon" feature is a nice touch for odd songs.

5. The ability to choose stories or song from the get go is a nice option.

6. The headphones actually fit little heads unlike the ones that come with those cheap portable cd players you might have purchased for your little one in the past.

7. The Fisher Price web site is filled with reasonably priced music and stories appropriate for the pre-school age group.

The cons:

That being said, there is one large flaw: importing MP3s! I spoke with the customer support staff at Fisher Price and they said it was a legal issue with the owners of the MP3 format. I don't care!! Work it! To import the music and stories you already have on your computer, this is what you will have to do:

1. Burn all of the music and stories you would like to import onto a cd.

2. Copy the songs/stories from the cd to the Fisher Price FP3 software.

3. Transfer each song/story to the FP3 player.

4. Type in title and artist information for each song/story.

5. Choose an icon, or create an icon from scratch.

6. Assign the icon to the story/song.

This is a huge pain! Just filling my son's FP3 player took over 3 hours.

A word of advice to those of you buying the FP3 player as a gift, burn all of the music/stories onto a cd ahead of time! Block out a few hours to program the FP3 player Christmas morning or after the birthday party, or better yet, do it all ahead of time so that you give the gift ready to go out of the gift box to avoid a tantrum (yours & theirs).

Kudos Fisher Price on developing a nice portable digital music system for pre-schoolers. I blow a raspberry at you for the painful process you make parents go through.

1.0 out of 5 stars Maybe it's Kid Tough, but it's not User Friendly, December 27, 2006

Pros:

Cons:

1) Same complaint as others regarding the foam on the headphones coming off. It took about 3 minutes to notice that one.

2) What is the purpose of forcing us to use the "FP3" file format? Maybe it's some attempt to cut down on piracy. But the flaw in that is that you can still burn whatever MP3 tunes you want into regular CDs and then re-rip them into FP3......it's just very annoying. So again I ask what is the purpose of this?!!

3) It goes through batteries very quickly. Not a big deal if you have rechargeable batteries, but it seems like a lot of power is being used by such a simple device.

4) To me this one is HUGE and has been noted by others - - You can't search for a song! Granted, I don't expect a 3 year old to be able to read and find Hot Potatoes and then navigate over to find Ski Patrol to the Rescue after that. But I would expect Fisher Price to build that feature in so that the 3 year old's parents....who will constantly be asked to find specific songs on a regular basis.......have that ability. What good is giving us the flexibility to upgrade to 1GB of storage, and therefore place hundreds of songs on the player, if you have to push fast forward (see #5 below) hundreds of times to get to the song your kid wants?

5) On it's 2nd full day of use yesterday it locked up when my wife was trying to fast forward through a bunch of songs to get to one that the boy wanted to hear. I don't know if it is related to pushing FF a bunch of times, but either way it froze up and I had to remove the batteries to shut it down.

Considering the price of this item, it seems a bit lacking in basic and necessary features. I would think that Fisher Price could somehow address this with a software update, but I may not be patient or trusting enough to wait and find out. I'm not sure any 3 year old really needs an MP3 player; however, I may seriously have to consider returning this player and getting him a cheap, basic, "grown up" player from Creative, Sandisk, etc. Even if they're not "kid tough", you can buy a couple for the price of this so-so player. Besides....what are the odds that the kid will lose it before they break it anyway?

4.0 out of 5 stars Dad's Perspective, January 31, 2008
Dad's Perspective:
This product has been absolutely miserable. They have made the DRM so difficult that it does not allow you to back up the songs or stories although they say they do but you can never get it restored. Since you can't do a back up, if you lose your Hard Drive the only recourse is to purchase the songs again. Fisher Price support is worthless, they could care less about their customers and their goal is to cause you to spend more money replacing the songs that you have already purchased and couldn't backup. They are so concerned about the DRM that they have caused a good product to become an absolutely miserable product to deal will. I will never again purchase this type of product from Fisher Price. While the FP store is limited on Songs and stories, it has all that one will need, and the child will be quite happy with it. The player uses AA batteries which must be replaced often and is a real pain; FP should have included rechargeable battery system. This product is quite a bit worse than IPOD in forcing the user to purchase its songs and stories and then not allowing any type of protection for the song or story in order to do a restore if necessary, so there is no investment security. If you lose it, you either buy it again or do without. I have had to re-purchase a few songs and stories because of a HD failure and FP customer support said "The only thing you can do is purchase them again" what a scam.

Child's Perspective:
This is a great product, it is quite easy for the child to use, my 5 year old loves it. I can download songs from Fisher Price quite easily. They say that you can import MP3's which you can but they make it so difficult to include any Icons' that you will eventually give up and purchase the song from FP so that you can get a nice Icon for the child. It is very rugged, my child left it outside for two days, it was snowed on and then rained on and believe it or not it still worked. When he was 4 he was able to get to the songs he wanted and to the stories quite easily. I have the speaker set for him so he would put it on speaker and he and his friends would listen to the stories. This is quite a nice product for kids if you can deal with the restrictions that FP places on it, it is quite a shame for Fisher Price to do such a thing.

Other Restrictions.
One time software, if you lose the disk the only way to get it again is to purchase it from FP, another scam. But if you already have the hardware what are you going to do? Purchase it again this is another location where FP has you by the gonads. Also, of this time the player and software does not support VISTA so I have to keep an XP box just to maintain this player. But since I purchased this product under an XP environment, if I want to upgrade at some point in the future I am sure FP will demand more money but right now I can't even upgrade (is VISTA an upgrade?)

Final Thoughts:
If you can deal with the overwhelming DRM restrictions from FP and their self-righteous attitude like they are doing the consumer a favor. Then by all means purchase this product the child will love it, after all ... it's all about the kids, and that is what Fisher Price is banking on. If I had to do it over again knowing what I know now, most likely I would purchase it again only because I can't see anything else on the market that provides this type of player (easy and well constructed) for the children. Then deal with all the FP garbage for a few years until the child is ready for something else. This is not a professional review but just a review from a Dad attempting to use a very difficult and costly product so that his 5 year old son can enjoy some stories and some music. I have had the player for two years now.

A Dad in Maryland,

5.0 out of 5 stars A great "little kid iPod", November 25, 2006
Traci M. Vedros (Harvey, LA United States) - See all my reviews
My 5 year old twins wantd "iPods" for their birthday - like their big brother. We got them each these - they LOVE them and so do we. We broused through the thousands of music files on our computer - and burned their favorites to a CD - then it was very easy to get them to the fp format. They use it a lot and are thrilled with their "iPods" - my only complaint is the foam padding on the headphones falls off a lot - we finally had to superglue them on - otherwise it is awesome!

2.0 out of 5 stars IF YOU RUN VISTA - BEWARE!!, December 3, 2007
Andrea (Boston, MA) - See all my reviews
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
We purchased the FP3 player for our son last Christmas, and despite the fact that converting your own music to FP3 format could be tedious, we really liked it - and my son loved it. We would have given it 4 stars. The one solution to converting your own music was that there was a wide, wide variety of music and stories available from the FP3 store, which was a breeze to download to the player. The prices were definitely reasonable. HOWEVER, in the past year we upgraded to Vista, and the FP3 software is incompatible. I called customer support, and the rep was very pleasant, but simply read a "service issue" to me that stated that the FP3 is impatible with Vista. Then silence. When I questioned her further on it, she said that a software upgrade is currently being worked on, but she had no estimate of when it would be available. This seems ridiculous to me since so mamy people run Vista now, and new computers are sold with it as the default operating system. Fisher-Price had to see this coming - or they SHOULD have. It's very frustrating, and I'm tempted to toss the whole thing and just bite the bullet and buy my son a MP3 player. There are a lot more "kid appropriate" MP3 options available now than there were in the past. One bright note, users are still able to load their own music; the imcompatibility only affects the ability to use the FP3 store. I'm giving this toy 2 stars because of all the frustration with the software, and now that I can only load my own music, the fact that it is TEDIOUS to do so becomes a much bigger issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWSOME, October 27, 2006
I love this toy! I bought it for both my 3 year old and 5 Year old. They LOVE it. I put all of their CD's on it and they listen in the car, at the doctors office and so on. It is really easy to use and the neck strap is a real help.

It is on my holiday gift giving list for my friends children!

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the IPod Wannabe..., December 30, 2006
My 3 year old daughter received this as a gift before a long Christmas car trip. We've been so pleased with it that I've already recommended it to everyone I know with kids her age. Overall it's a fantastic toy -- seems very durable (Still works well after several drops and tumbles)

Pros:

1. Easy to load -- no, it won't take MP3's, but it's easy to burn and then upload into the FP3 software. The software itself is small (doesn't take much room on your Cdrive) and is VERY user friendly. Other reviewers are right the songs it comes with are L-A-M-E!! but easy to replace. I have several stories on CD and loaded them in so she can listen along with her books.

2. Easy to use -- buttons are large enough for small fingers, and respond well. My little one tried using my old ipod and just couldn't make it work because her fine motor control isn't there yet -- this one is made for her.

3. Kids love it. Both my daughter and her 4 1/2 year old cousin (Who received one from Santa) LOVED walking around with their "IPods."

4. VERY durable! I had my doubts, but if this thing can survive an 18 hour car trip of nearly constant usage (rechargeable batteries ARE a good idea -- otherwise make sure you've got some AAA. It does use them up fairly quickly. I think we got about 6-8 hours of semi-continuous use per battery set), and it can survive the cousin, it can survive anything.

Cons -- only 2 that I've seen, and both of them are minor irritations, not major problems

1. Icons must be assigned song by song -- and there are only a limited number of them. For example my daughter's dinosaur CD loaded just fine, but I could only assign icons to 3 of the songs before there were no more dinosaur icons. I wish Fisher Price would find a way to assign a single icon to an entire CD -- so that,for example, all the dino songs could have a single dino icon. This would be an easy software fix.

2. It DOES freeze up on occasion -- usually when you're trying to fast forward through a series of songs. It's very easy to fix by simply taking the batteries out and reinserting.

My suggestion? Don't bother with the extra memory card. The FP3 player holds plenty of songs without it, and that will save you the problem of searching through for a single song and will eliminate the freeze up problem. Upload a small (50 - 60 songs and stories) playlist and then change it from time to time. It's very easy to swap out the songs. Great toy, though -- I highly recommend it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars We LOVE this item - at least my 3 yr old son does, December 29, 2006
Kelly Jordan "Midwest Mom" (Rogers, MN United States) - See all my reviews
I really do love this item. The songs that came on it were terrible, but it was easy to download my own. I even downloaded some from the fisher-price site. Also very easy and not expensive. My son loves some Top 40 type songs and country music: Aint no other man, Riding Dirty, Fast Cars and Freedom. I put a different icon for each song so he can easily (visually) scan his FP3 for the song he wants. I even put the theme song for Wonder Pets and he was so excited. I have one for my 4 yr old daughter also. She likes the stories best, but again the stories that came with the FP3 were terrible. I downloaded some Dr. Suess stories and the songs for my son and she loves hers too. Terrific item and we have had no problems. Thanks FIsher Price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good toy, January 4, 2007
I have to disagree with the person who said that you can only play FP3 music on the player. If you read the instructions it tells you how to copy the music off of your CDs onto your computer using the included software, and then transfer them onto the player using the provided USB cord. And if your collection of CDs appropriate for kids is limited, go to your local library and if they are like mine, they have an extensive collection of music CDs plus some books on tape (well, on CD really)that you can borrow for free.

One complaint is that if you do use a memory card to expand how many songs and stories you can load, it is a pain to have to fast forward through them all. I see that you can create playlists where you can group things together but that only means you can change the playlist on occasion but only by going to the computer and deleting and then adding a new playlist. If they could change it so that you could pick a playlist directly from the FP3 player and then only have to FF through just that playlist to find a particular song it would be much easier.

My daughter has the soundtrack from The Princess and the Pauper, High School Musical, various nursery rhymes, the music from The Nutcracker ballet, and various tracks from 2 different Alvin and the Chipmunks CDs. And she wants to add more. That's a lot of stuff to FF through and it does lock up when you do that but like someone else mentioned, taking the batteries out and reinserting them does fix it. And I noticed that if you don't screw the compartment very tightly it does lock up more often.

And I also agree with whoever said that it would be nice to use the same icon for more than one song. However, I did notice that the ones that you create yourself, you can select it, then edit it (add a sun or something to the house you drew) and rename it(or just rename) and reuse it. I haven't tried renaming one of the original icons yet but I'll give it a try later now that I've thought of it.

2.0 out of 5 stars disapointed twice, February 25, 2007
This toy is such a great idea, but the player I bought for my son's Birthday stopped working after 24 hours. I figured I just bought a lemon so I called the company and they very kindly replaced it with a new one. After 24 hours of very gentle use by my son, it is freezing up every time he tries to listen to music. The stories work (so far), but we can no longer get it to play music. I know some of these must work by all the positive reviews, but what are the odds of getting two duds in a row??