Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer TL256 TL256 TL256  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback

Product Packaging: Standard Packaging|Change
Price:$47.49+ Free shipping

Product Packaging: Standard Packaging|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
What a fabulous toy to encourage imaginative play! I have a 5-year old son and a 4-year old daughter, and both spent a good afternoon playing with this playset when they first got it. Even after a few days, they're still playing with it a lot, and even integrated the Fisher-Price Imaginext DC Super Friends Batcave (Frustration-Free Packaging), the Fisher-Price Imaginext Dragon World Fortress, and the Fisher-Price Imaginext DC Super Friends Green Lantern Planet OA playsets into the fun.

There's a lot to like about Action Tech City:

1. It's highly interactive. Seriously, this thing is not the tallest Imaginext Set we own, and individually each piece is as wide as the Batcave and Dragon Fortress. However, when linked together, it's the widest, and if you place both on top of each other, it's as tall as the Batcave and D.Fortress. The biggest advantage this playset has over BC and DF is that it has the most activities for kids to engage in. There's an elevator, multiple doors to open and shut, a bank to break into, fires that pop up at a turn of a dial and that "go out" when you tap the flames...seriously, there's a LOT to play with on this toy.

2. The speech and sound are loud - but not blaring loud - and very very clear. The other playsets we own don't have this sound clarity, and this many phrases. Best part, it's triggered by the Fire Engine, so the kids don't have to look for a button to push on the playset itself. The reception is about as far as a television remote (about 15-20 ft max).

3. The Action Tech City folds down small. This may not be a big issue for some, but I like having things tucked away neatly when not in use. These two playsets, because they're connected in the center, fold together back to back for easy storage. There is, however, no real place to tuck away all the additional little pieces. If you have a ziploc bag, or at least a designated place to put the mini figures, weapons, water pieces, and so forth in, then you'll be set.

4. There are a lot of little pieces to play with that are compatible with other Imaginext Playsets. The kids have a good time interchanging where the pieces go. I'll sometimes find a fire hydrant on the firehouse roof and the street lamps dangling from the flag poles or also on the roof. Recently, I've found a satellite dish on the Dragon Fortress and street lamps popping up around the Batcave. This is a big plus knowing that all the accessories and figures can work with other playsets (with exception of the IR elements like that on the firetruck).

There are very few things that I dislike about this set - the only thing I didn't like was the fact that this playset did have a lot of little pieces. Little piece to step on. At midnight. In bare feet. But that may not be an issue to you - and if anything, may be good training when your kids start playing with the toys that really hurt to step on, like Legos or My Little Pony hairbrushes. There's only two pieces that would really be missed if lost, and that's the two "water pieces" that fit into the truck. These two pieces can be shot from the Firetruck, and without them, there's no "water" to shoot. They're pretty big, so hopefully they won't get lost.

If you're interested in expanding on this particular playset, you can purchase the Fisher-Price Imaginext Rescue City Dix Big Rig,Fisher-Price Imaginext Rescue City Police Car,Fisher-Price Imaginext Rescue City Tow Truck, and the Fisher-Price Imaginext Rescue City Ambulance. The Rescue City Center recognizes these four vehicles and will respond with different speech and sound. There is a firetruck already included in case you're not interested in expanding just yet.

All in all, this playset, even when played by itself, is a HUGE winner. With lots to do, lots of pieces included, and two mini figures to share, this definitely will keep your kids busy for a while. Highly recommended!
on November 26, 2013
My boys look at this every time we went to the store. They like the fire truck and the "fire". I loved the price on Amazon and ordered two of them. What I didn't realize when I ordered it is that I had the option to choose "frustration free" or "standard" packaging. The default is set to "frustration free". The idea of this type of packaging is nice-easy to open, no ties, rubber bands, etc. The downside however is that the outside of the packaging is extremely generic - basically a brown cardboard box- not the best for gift giving to toddlers or young children. I don't feel as though this will cause as much excitement when they open the packages on Christmas morning - I don't even know that they will know what it is. Maybe I will take it out of the cardboard box and wrap it "put together" so they can see what they have when they open it. Before purchasing, make sure to select your packaging preference. If "seeing" the product in its marketed packaging is important, select standard packaging, if that is not a big deal and you prefer easy open, generic type packaging go with the frustration free.
VINE VOICEon August 14, 2013
I have been a fan of the Imaginext line for several years now and own many pieces, especially in the fantasy/castle line. The toys are clever and witty and well designed with hidden doors, functions and scope for imagination. They are some of the most played with toys--besides Legos--in our house. I was thrilled to add the city set to our collection and overall it doesn't disappoint. It's well built and suits the children in my life very well.

However, I have an ongoing frustration with Imaginext line now. There are no girls. The girls in my house play with these sets as much as the boys do but there are no female figures for them to play with. It is very frustrating and I dislike the message it sends to both the boys and girls who play with the toys. None of the boys are averse to a female action figure and the girls absolutely miss it. These are some of the coolest toys out there that meet the need for non-licensed (usually no licensed toys beyond the Batman line) for lots of fantastical, imaginative play. I would happily add some extra figures if they were even sold separately. I miss toys that were somewhat more gender neutral--no political agenda here--but just something that reflects the real world a little better in which children play with all the toys in the room, especially the coolest ones like Imaginext offers. I'd gladly give up a fire hydrant in this set for a third figure, a female one!
1313 comments|70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 5, 2014
My 2 year old son still plays with this every day since he received it for Christmas. (It's March) I also purchased a few other Imaginext City vehicles to go along with it, like an ambulance, police car and helicopter and didn't realize when I bought them that they interacted with the City Center. DUH... bonus!!!
on December 3, 2013
My daughter received this for her fifth birthday and absolutely loves it. This is her first Imaginext product and we are pleased with it. She plays with this daily. It is very interactive and holds her attention for quite some time. It is wide but that is actually a good thing because she and her cousin play together with it and each has plenty of room to play on one side or on the front or back of the toy. I actually ordered another one for her cousin for Christmas because he loves it too. I did not have any issues with the Frustration Free Packaging because I personally chose that option after understanding what it entailed and that my nephew would be able to unwrap it and begin playing with it instantly (like he wanted to do at my daughter's birthday party when she opened it!). The frustration free presentation is not exciting- it is a plain brown box, but the ability to play with it instantly and not mess with zip ties and plastic cables is a worthwhile trade-off for us.There is also an option to choose the Standard Packaging if you want it to come in the same packaging you would see in a retail store.
on November 22, 2013
Love the set! BUT if you are going to go with the frustration free packaging, be warned it is a plain brown box. No pictures or anything to let a smaller child know what is inside. We ended up having to put the whole thing together just so my 4 year old nephew would even know what it was. It would be helpful with the frustration free packaging to put a picture of what was inside on the outside of the box for the little ones who can't read yet (just a suggestion). Overall the toy/set itself is fantastic and my 4 year old nephew plays with it for hours
on December 5, 2013
I really wanted to get a toy for my grandson, turning 4, that reflected community activity, rather than the usual superhero theme. This was perfect....like the firehouse in his neighborhood....a very familiar scene to pretend with. Includes the residence - with flames to put out ("cool"), and lots of moving surprise operations. Speaking communication from the firehouse to vehicles, and sirens, provide for a lot of excitement. Very happy with this playset, good value for the money!! Can buy add-on vehicle and rescuer sets anytime!!
on October 20, 2013
We bought this for my kiddo for his fourth birthday- he had been coveting it in-store and we found it for a great price on Amazon.

When we got it opened and out of the box... He wasn't very engaged. Only one side of the set makes noises and we haven't been able to get the Vault to work properly. We had hoped that the fire truck might interact with the burning building, but it does not. The buildings have that weird black connector in the middle, but it doesn't stay together well. It's cumbersome to move it.

We do like the two-sided play- it's perfect for two kids to play together (and we have two kids, so that works well for us). The pieces are durable and visually appealing. The flames look very cool, as does the command center. The detail on the inside of the buildings is nice. We bought a variety of the accessory packs and it certainly helps to act out a story. My 16 month old seriously adores the set and plays with it frequently.

Overall, it's an ok toy but not one of the best Imaginext sets. I'd buy it at that price point again, but I wish I would have chosen a better "centerpiece" gift. It is not as engaging to my 4 year old as I had hoped.

Also, be aware that not all of the accessories sold separately have the "action tech" feature that allows them to interact/ make noises with the building. Both my son and Grandma failed to note that.
on August 18, 2015
I bought this at a great price on Amazon. My kids are just now getting into Imaginext and I was thrilled to see this set on sale. It arrived in a huge and I was instantly impressed by the size and detail of the city center. There are so many ways kids can play with this toy. Best part, is that it's big enough for more than one kid to play with at once. However, it also separates for those "rare" times kids don't want to share (ha!) It comes with a fire truck and two men with interchangeable head gear. It also comes with tons of little accessories for imaginative play, including a money bag for a bank robbery, ax for a firefighter, light poles, fire hydrant, and much more! Two of my kids favorite features are the trap door and that the firetrucks shoots out water (sticks). There are several interactive features that open doors, activate sounds, trapdoors, and much much more.

I am glad this was our first Imaginext set because we are officially hooked and excited to expand our Imaginext collection!
on November 25, 2014
I love this toy. My 3 and 5 year old boys play with it a lot and it's one of those toys that when they play with it, they really play nicely together for awhile. We do have some of the extra vehicles that we had to buy separately. The city is interactive with the vehicles but the kids play very well without that feature if you don't feel like hearing the noise. It also comes with lots of little pieces which I put away and they don't miss them at all.

One note about the frustration free packaging - it's great but basically means the toy just came in an unmarked box (fully assembled). Just something to keep mind if you are giving it as a gift because it doesn't come in the original box.