Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Stephen Kellogg All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Shop Now Sale

VINE VOICEon September 19, 2008
"Space Pens" - of which this is one - are ballpoint pens with a high quality ball and pressurized ink supply.

The pressurized ink supply allows the pen to write in any position, as ink flow is no longer gravity dependent.

The high quality - very textured I think - ball will write through many common contaminants on a paper.

The problem with these pens in the past is that they were easily dropped and lost secondary to the sleek, but too slippery, 'lipstick tube' or 'bullet' design.

The 'Trekker' is a sensible cylinder, with a knurled plastic grip, and a neck lanyard.

With daily use in an operating suite, and weekend use in aircraft, I have not had one of these pens fail to write, nor I have I had it slip from my hand and vanish.

The friction fit which holds the pen to the lanyard holder does wear in time. I find that I get just over a year's use before it becomes too loose to be reliable. This is about the same as the ink supply lasts me, so I no longer bother buying replacement ink cartridges.

The 'carabiner' clip is a useless gimmick, adding only weight, bulk, and another failure point.
11 comment36 of 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 30, 2011
I love these pens, they write under any conditions. I used to clip one to each of my bags. But the pen spontaneously pops out of the cap and disappears. After losing four, each after only a few days of use, I gave up. Wish Fisher would do something about that design flaw; or perhaps other users can suggest a solution.
55 comments14 of 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 3, 2007
I love the Fisher Space Pen's. I've been using them almost exclusively as a pocket and travel pen for close to a year now (I use other pens at my desk but there's always a fisher in my pocket.)

The Trekker Pen is exactly what it looks like - a Space Pen on with a lanyard and belt hook. While slightly larger than the bullet style this pen is still compact enough to fit on your keychain. If you're looking for something to keep in your pocket without fear of an exploding ink cartridge Fisher Space Pens are the way to go.
on October 7, 2008
I am a volunteer EMT and like to carry a small pen with me to fill out reports and take notes. I used to carry a Lamy Pico 287 Ballpoint Pen with me, but after losing three of them while on calls, I decided I needed a pen that was somehow attached to me. This one fits the bill. I keep it attached to the pager case on my belt. It also comes in handy when I go grocery shopping. My one complaint, though, is that I have noticed ink blobs at the tip a few times. Not a big deal, but be careful.
11 comment9 of 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 12, 2010
The pen arrives with a cheap Chinese (no offense) break-a-away lanyard. In my first4 days of ownership, the pen fell from the retaining clip twice. The second time, it was gone forever. $30 down the drain; I used it to sign my name exactly 3 times. One would think the lanyard would "break-a-away" before the pen would fall out (of the holder) but that's not the case.

This is an example of a company desperate to increase market share though adding to the product line (and to make distribution more effective). Great marketing idea - except they forgot two things: (1) the quality, and (2) the customer.

Nice idea, poorly implemented. Don't buy it.
on July 29, 2008
I carry a small composition notebook with me at all times along with my journal and planner and this pen comes in handy to write in any of them or sketch in my journal, whatever the case maybe. Also, as a soldier and adventurous outdoors person I spend a lot time in places and weather that normal pens wouldn't think of writing in and this one seems up to the task.
I think it's a little pricey however; it is a great writing utensil.

"TREKKER" by Fisher Space Pen (S725)

Jeff
on December 1, 2007
As a self described pen freak, I always love a good pen. The job considers that I "always" carry one. Always. The regular space pens are pefect for the regular job. Just make sure you get them back, they like to walk off!

But this one in particular I use mainly while geocaching. It's attached by the clip to my Garmin 60 CSX at all times. That way I always have a pen when signing logs. Plus, because it's a space pen, it will always write on the strange locations, conditions and directions. It is a little small and doesn't completely fit in your hand, so not the best pen for writing long letters or such, but small scribbles and scratches are ok.

I highly recommend this to anyone who geocaches. Attach it to your GPSr and forget it! Quite convienent.
on June 11, 2009
I purchased this pen as a replacement for the one I lost. I use this pen for adventure racing and it holds up great, you can't be more demanding on equipment than in adventure racing. It always works and has never rusted due to the quality stainless steel and plastic construction. The pen fits so tight to the cap that it is not a worry to have the pen hanging from the cap, even in the thickest of bushwacking.
on August 29, 2013
I bought this to go on my key chain so I could make sure to always have a pen on me. I need them a lot on the weekends when people sign rental agreements for my company and I wanted to make sure I had one on me for school as I go to class between work so I don't bring a backpack and don't always have room in my pockets for one full size. This will ensure that I have one at all times for work and school. It was a bit longer than I was expecting (I'll try to post a pic to show in the customer images) about 3.8 inches long, but it's long enough to write with comfortably and short enough to be carried. So you don't have to keep it on a keyring and it would work fine just sitting in your pocket or coin pocket if you don't like having it on your key ring. The cartridge itself is very well made and so is the outside case. You can really tell how thick it is when you take it apart and I don't think you'll have any problems with leakages. It is not as hard to pull off as some have said, although I am a little above average strength, but still what do you expect with something that's made to go on a key ring?
review image review image
on December 10, 2007
Just what I'd been looking for--pens that won't become lost and will always work. Delivery was very fast and pens were well packed. Very pleased with purchase.